vs Spurs

Forum for match day threads
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

6 months ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:
6 months ago
nah spurs missed sitters and we couldn’t keep the ball in the second half, the defence and midfield needs major spending tbf, if that was joey you’d say us getting hammered and having none of the ball was probably the plan, it obviously weren’t here though they just couldnt cope tbf
some of that is down to not being good enough. But a fair chunk is down to the players not being fit enough, and used enough, to playing at a high intensity for 90 mins.
dozer
Legend

6 months ago

6 months ago
nah spurs missed sitters and we couldn’t keep the ball in the second half, the defence and midfield needs major spending tbf, if that was joey you’d say us getting hammered and having none of the ball was probably the plan, it obviously weren’t here though they just couldnt cope tbf
It's more that just that. It's the same players in the first half. Solskjaer parked the bus in the second half.
Idk why though; our defence is crap and we only seem stable defensively while being more dominant.
These defensive tactics won't work against better attackers like Pool or City.
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

dozer wrote:
6 months ago
6 months ago
It's more that just that. It's the same players in the first half. Solskjaer parked the bus in the second half.
Idk why though; our defence is crap and we only seem stable defensively while being more dominant.
You lot wanting tiki taka 2.0 from Ole after 3 weeks in the job and 2 and a half years of Joses bus parking conditioning are fucking dumb tbh

Tottenham got on top because Poch switched Tottenham's system at half time in order to stop Rash and Martial running the channels and Lingard breaking up play. That's what led to our goal. Phelan and Ole spotted Spurs' weakness and exploited it which shows a bit of tactical nouse.

But Poch reacted, changed it, so we matched them like for like second half and it was end to end for 15 mins. Pogba had 2 chances to seal the win. But then we retreated (partly due to fitness) and had to ride it out, like you have to when you're in a top teams backyard and beating em.

It's basically how Fergie used to play in big games.
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

Speaking of fitness, we had the fewest number of counterattacks of any team in Prem when Jose was manager, now we have the most

We might have a bit more left in the tank come the end of the season compared to Arsenal and Chelsea thanks to 4 months of Joses lazy ultra defensive shite
sheesh
Legend

6 months ago

Sid wrote:
6 months ago
Speaking of fitness, we had the fewest number of counterattacks of any team in Prem when Jose was manager, now we have the most

We might have a bit more left in the tank come the end of the season compared to Arsenal and Chelsea thanks to 4 months of Joses lazy ultra defensive shite
I read somewhere that the Dubai trip was like a mini pre-season.
bman2
Legend

6 months ago

Yeah Ole definitely said they were working on fitness.

Our midfield seemed to collapse during the second half, whether that's tactics or fitness, or a combination of both, I'm not sure.
dozer
Legend

6 months ago

Sid wrote:
6 months ago
dozer wrote:
6 months ago
6 months ago
You lot wanting tiki taka 2.0 from Ole after 3 weeks in the job and 2 and a half years of Joses bus parking conditioning are fucking dumb tbh

Tottenham got on top because Poch switched Tottenham's system at half time in order to stop Rash and Martial running the channels and Lingard breaking up play. That's what led to our goal. Phelan and Ole spotted Spurs' weakness and exploited it which shows a bit of tactical nouse.

But Poch reacted, changed it, so we matched them like for like second half and it was end to end for 15 mins. Pogba had 2 chances to seal the win. But then we retreated (partly due to fitness) and had to ride it out, like you have to when you're in a top teams backyard and beating em.

I'm not blaming Ole - he's had very little time and he's playing attacking football.
I'm just saying that the team played defensive football the second half and our defensive football almost cost us goals, as usual. People said I was trolling but I only pointed that out because people seemed pleased with our performance in the second half. Why? Call it as it is.
bman2
Legend

6 months ago

dozer wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago
dozer wrote:
6 months ago
6 months ago

I'm not blaming Ole - he's had very little time and he's playing attacking football.
I'm just saying that the team played defensive football the second half and our defensive football almost cost us goals, as usual. People said I was trolling but I only pointed that out because people seemed pleased with our performance in the second half. Why? Call it as it is.
OK come on, Spurs had 45 minutes to save their title challenge, playing at home. Of course they threw everything at us the second half, and they're a very very good team.

Ole was right -- if we'd showed some more composure and patience on the ball in the second half, the few chances we got, maybe we'd have knocked a second goal. Then the whole narrative changes. But playing against a team that's been better than us for a few seasons now, at their home ground, with them fighting to give their season any continued purpose? I think it's understandable they bossed us for 30 futile minutes.

Ole just ended Poch's time at Spurs. It's a big win.
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

dozer wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago
dozer wrote:
6 months ago
6 months ago

"Defensive" - they had 11 shots on goal and we had 8. You're judging the game based on 20/25 minutes of Tottenham pressure in the second half, against a Spurs team that Poch said was the best they'd ever played in his 4 and a half years as manager - in front of 80k at Wembley n all.

Tbf if you watch the last 10 mins we see the game out pretty well.

If we can get a clean sheet in those circumstances then we can get something from the rest of the top 5
FuB
Legend

6 months ago

bman2 wrote:
6 months ago
dozer wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago
dozer wrote:
6 months ago
6 months ago

OK come on, Spurs had 45 minutes to save their title challenge, playing at home. Of course they threw everything at us the second half, and they're a very very good team.

Ole was right -- if we'd showed some more composure and patience on the ball in the second half, the few chances we got, maybe we'd have knocked a second goal. Then the whole narrative changes. But playing against a team that's been better than us for a few seasons now, at their home ground, with them fighting to give their season any continued purpose? I think it's understandable they bossed us for 30 futile minutes.

Ole just ended Poch's time at Spurs. It's a big win.
Sid wrote:
6 months ago

"Defensive" - they had 11 shots on goal and we had 8. You're judging the game based on 20/25 minutes of Tottenham pressure in the second half, against a Spurs team that Poch said was the best they'd ever played in his 4 and a half years as manager - in front of 80k at Wembley n all.

Tbf if you watch the last 10 mins we see the game out pretty well.

If we can get a clean sheet in those circumstances then we can get something from the rest of the top 5
It wasn't "people" saying you were trolling, dozer. Let's call it as it is: it was me...

If you're going to start calling a classic situation of a tiring (probably not that fit) side backing off and counter-attacking in order to defend a lead against a team that's gone all out to equalise "jose ball" or "defensive football" then you just show a fundamental misunderstanding of the game. It wasn't a low block like Mourinho and, if you're going to try and troll us all by implying any amount of defending is somehow akin to Jose's mentality then it's going to wear pretty thin pretty quickly. I thought that, towards the very end, we started letting them have the ball if they won it in their own half but we were still trying to press them (less and less effectively as we were clearly knackered) up to the half way line and we, crucially, left our attackers up front instead of retreating into 10 men behind the ball at the merest sniff of a Spurs attack.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit