Vs PSG

Forum for match day threads
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 5845
Joined: 7 years ago

1 month ago

swampash wrote:
1 month ago
...unless I’m mistaken dozer neither Rashford nor Messi are in the running to be player-manager.
But the same logic should apply though right? Develop skills overnight after pressure. Manager or player, they're humans after all.

Or... The first few games were a blip because of the preseason problems and Ole is continuing what he delivered over his last 1.5 seasons i.e improved to 3rd place.

At least I hope we can both see that the last 2 games were no fluke. We deserved to win comfortably with some good football. The losses prior weren't a fluke either. We deserved to lose comfortably.
So it's too early to say which I why I brought up the previous seasons under Ole. He's delivered so far. But... He's not a big name. Fans want the big galactico names like Pogba, Sancho and the same in a manager regardless of output. Cherry picking bad performances doesn't prove shit.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6163
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

1 month ago

if only there wasn't a large slice of march 2019 to february 2020 to "cherry pick" from
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 5845
Joined: 7 years ago

1 month ago

FuB wrote:
1 month ago
if only there wasn't a large slice of march 2019 to february 2020 to "cherry pick" from
Typical fubs. Pops up with no original opinion. Like a bot. The AI software needs updating.
Ole came 3rd in his last 1.5 seasons. He improved over the previous managers. How is that cherry picking?
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6163
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

1 month ago

dozer wrote:
1 month ago
FuB wrote:
1 month ago
if only there wasn't a large slice of march 2019 to february 2020 to "cherry pick" from
Typical fubs. Pops up with no original opinion. Like a bot. The AI software needs updating.
Ole came 3rd in his last 1.5 seasons. He improved over the previous managers. How is that cherry picking?
:)) :)) :))

says the forum's resident WUM, constantly popping up with the contrary opinion for obvious effect.

Thing is, though... i think you'd need to cherry pick pretty hard to find a performance over the period i mention that wasn't devoid of any tactical nous or ability to change the game when needed. Ole's end of season and post-lockdown purple patch clearly came about due to the introduction of Bruno to the team. Maybe it's not a purple patch - and of course i hope it isn't - but you're so quick to call any good Martial, Rashford (or any other of your list of "crap" players) display a purple patch that you can't really escape your own damning classification criteria.

So we managed to beat a very shit Newcastle where no real change of tactic was deployed or needed to be and we've seen one game where a change of tactics helped to nullify an increasing threat of a largely lacklustre and ineffective PSG and, despite these games being on the back of being comprehensively outplayed and out-though by every other opponent we've played, suddenly Ole's back to his "best" for you. Who's cherry picking, dozer?
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 4801
Joined: 6 years ago

1 month ago

To be fair fuß, you have to give credit to the hobbit for figuring out how to nullify PSG. Although I reckon the penalty was a dive...
Be interesting to see what happens this weekend and whether yesterday was just a fluke.
Also, while giving forth...if we are really planning to add a back 3 tactic to our arsenal then we should get after Antonio Rüdiger. Lots of hints over here that he wants out of Chelsea. He's one who would definitely improve a back 3 formation. With the best will in the world I don't see Shaw as part of a back 3.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 5845
Joined: 7 years ago

1 month ago

Imo the 5-3-2 formation worked because of Telles. Shaw is injured or crap most of the time with the odd good performances these talented crap give out to duping the deluded management into giving them long contracts.

Another advantage of this formation is it fits Martial and Rashford in their best positions.

This formation also felt more attacking to me. Its not like an extra defender meant we were more defensive. We created a lot of chances. Not sure if it'll work against a team that sits deep.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6163
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

1 month ago

swampash wrote:
1 month ago
To be fair fuß, you have to give credit to the hobbit for figuring out how to nullify PSG. Although I reckon the penalty was a dive...
Be interesting to see what happens this weekend and whether yesterday was just a fluke.
Also, while giving forth...if we are really planning to add a back 3 tactic to our arsenal then we should get after Antonio Rüdiger. Lots of hints over here that he wants out of Chelsea. He's one who would definitely improve a back 3 formation. With the best will in the world I don't see Shaw as part of a back 3.
that's not my point at all. I completely agree it was an inspired tactical change but to suggest it's the norm for Ole is just bollocks. The fact of the matter is that he was on his fucking arse until Bruno arrived and, up to that point, we looked like we'd have trouble coming 6th. I'm with all of you in hoping the earlier games this season were an exception to the improved form since February. We'll see, though, and cherry picking a good performance in a season that's so far been awful is just the same as cherry picking bad performances. Doesn't prove shit...
dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Imo the 5-3-2 formation worked because of Telles. Shaw is injured or crap most of the time with the odd good performances these talented crap give out to duping the deluded management into giving them long contracts.

Another advantage of this formation is it fits Martial and Rashford in their best positions.

This formation also felt more attacking to me. Its not like an extra defender meant we were more defensive. We created a lot of chances. Not sure if it'll work against a team that sits deep.
I completely agree with Telles being the catalyst to a working 5-3-2. He was the best attacking threat we had for the first half and iwas already linking up with Bruno as if they'd played together forever. I didn't really support the change for Pogba at the time... the change in formation, yes, but the removal of the best attacking threat (instead of maybe taking Shaw off) didn't make sense to me.

The formation seemed more attacking for two main reasons: first, a decent attacking full back that can actually put a cross in and, second, a more fluid midfield that didn't have the usual suspects ambling around.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Post Reply