Vs Arsenal

Forum for match day threads
swampash
Legend

3 months ago

I’m lost for words.
In the light of the PSG and Leipzig games, can anyone explain to me what the thinking was behind yesterday’s team selection, how they were set up in the first half and then the substitutions?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
bman2
Legend

3 months ago

I didn’t see the match, luckily. I thought it was interesting of Scholes to argue that United were actually very similar in the Leipzig match and the Arsenal match. He pointed out that it was the same formation, and argued that United were similarly negative for the first 60 minutes in both, but that against Leipzig they got a couple of counter attack goals and Leipzig fell apart.

He was basically arguing that because Arsenal scored first, and then sat back and saw the game out knowing we only know how to counter, the two performances looked very different, but that the real difference is only who scores first.
bman2
Legend

3 months ago

I mean, when you have midfielders like Pogba, Fernandes, and de Beek, and still can’t put together any dangerous attacking play against an organized defense, something is going very wrong.
swampash
Legend

3 months ago

But did you see the first half line up bman?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
bman2
Legend

3 months ago

swampash wrote:
3 months ago
But did you see the first half line up bman?
Yeah looks similar to against Leipzig, couple of changes, same formation. I didn't see the game, so I can't comment on Scholes' analysis, I just thought it was interesting. He seemed to lay a lot of the blame on McT and Fred, said they couldn't get the ball forward to the other players.
dozer
Legend

3 months ago

Of course. There were two teams against Arsenal. Our back 6 and front 3. Our 6 including mct and fred couldn't pass the ball forward. Bruno Rashford and greenwood couldn't get into the game. I'm not including Pogba here because he was just missing apart from the penalty.

Time to start Bruno and Van de Beek.
fat maradona
Star Man

3 months ago

dozer wrote:
3 months ago
Of course. There were two teams against Arsenal. Our back 6 and front 3. Our 6 including mct and fred couldn't pass the ball forward. Bruno Rashford and greenwood couldn't get into the game. I'm not including Pogba here because he was just missing apart from the penalty.

For all of Bruno's ingenuity and creativity, sometimes he needs to think about keeping the ball more than he does. LIke on Sunday, it was important we didn't keep losing the ball and the number of times one of Bruno's flicks went to the oppo, put us straight onto the back foot. This is where VdB is a better option for us, the guy is great at the little give and go's and better at making and getting into space.

And you're right re the two teams on the pitch, that's exactly how we play. There is absolutely no point in buying a Sancho or a top class forward if we can't get the fucking ball to them. We have more midfield options now than anytime in the past 8 years I reckon. But it's all a bit disorganised in there and our defenders put them in so much pressure, they just seem to panic.
dozer
Legend

3 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
3 months ago
dozer wrote:
3 months ago

For all of Bruno's ingenuity and creativity, sometimes he needs to think about keeping the ball more than he does. LIke on Sunday, it was important we didn't keep losing the ball and the number of times one of Bruno's flicks went to the oppo, put us straight onto the back foot. This is where VdB is a better option for us, the guy is great at the little give and go's and better at making and getting into space.

And you're right re the two teams on the pitch, that's exactly how we play. There is absolutely no point in buying a Sancho or a top class forward if we can't get the fucking ball to them. We have more midfield options now than anytime in the past 8 years I reckon. But it's all a bit disorganised in there and our defenders put them in so much pressure, they just seem to panic.
Bruno gives the ball away when he tries the ambitious pass, not while making simpler passes.
That's his role. It's part of the tactics. Giggs always tried the creative pass when he played as a 10. That's their job so it's ok
Rooney was the only number 10 who was different. Whenever he played there but it wasn't his best position
swampash
Legend

3 months ago

bman2 wrote:
3 months ago
He pointed out that it was the same formation
He must have watched a different game to me...
fat maradona
Star Man

3 months ago

dozer wrote:
3 months ago

Bruno gives the ball away when he tries the ambitious pass, not while making simpler passes.
That's his role. It's part of the tactics. Giggs always tried the creative pass when he played as a 10. That's their job so it's ok
Rooney was the only number 10 who was different. Whenever he played there but it wasn't his best position
Bruno gave the ball away a staggering 35 times tonight.....I get that his role is to play like a genius and try those clever passes but if you are constantly giving it away, maybe it's time to think about playing more sensibly.