Vs Everton

Forum for match day threads
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

And if that involves keeping the ball on the deck and passing and moving, then fair enough right? Because it works more often than parking the bus and knocking it long on the counter does

Those Spanish teams who come up against Barca don't suddenly become Stoke, 451, defend, kick their best player and the puff with the fancy haircut - they stick to what they know which is passing the football and keeping possession

"And you can have all the passing drills you want in training... but in a match, when the pressing game is intense, if your players simply aren't good enough, then you're not going to hang onto the football for very long, and what's worse is you'll probably lose it in dangerous areas... even top clubs struggle with possession against hard pressing... "

No Alf, no... come on now. Our players only start smashing it when they're nervous (which is all the fucking time) because it's what they've been taught since childhood. That's not true everywhere else. In other, better countries, their default is to keep the ball, to pass it, because you're safer in possession and can build attacks. So when they're nervous and playing in a big intense game, they keep the ball more than usual because they're more comfortable with it then without it. For some the idea of knocking it long doesn't even register at all, no matter the situation.

"If your players aren't good enough..." do you think some of that shite in the Southampton team were as good as the players in City or United when they drew with em, or better than those in the Liverpool team when they beat em at Anfield. Course not.

I'm not saying Stoke can't exist, I'm saying they can and they're shit, but this shite we hear from British managers justifying their shite expensive shit football is depressing and proven to be bullshit now - that's why Pulis lost his job and why the Everton fans wanted rid of Moyes and Southampton ditched Adkins.
marlon
Legend

4 years ago

Jones and Carrick have been training away from the first team, so they probably won't be available. Fellaini might be. It's a shame Fellaini, Anderson and Fletcher are still here or we might've seen Pearson make his debut. Fletcher as vice captain with Rooney out probably has a very good chance of starting.

I think Martinez got lucky for a year - he brought his possession based attacking football while Everton's back 4 remembered how they defended under Moyes. They're looking much more like a Martinez defence now, and Distin and Jagielka are getting a bit old. They'll probably remain a decent mid table club who occasionally challenges for a Europa spot but with their financial problems they'll never challenge the top 4.
sheesh

4 years ago

Against all logic, I have a feeling we'll nick a result.

3-2.
senna
Legend

4 years ago

If we have any luck we will win by a small margin, otherwise i could see a draw. Not much faith in a midfield without Herrera/Rooney atm.
swampash
Legend

4 years ago

Time for Falcao to prove his worth this week.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Spudiator
Star Man

4 years ago

I reckon we will win, but it won't be pretty. Probably scrape it 1-0, given how fragile the confidence seems to be within the players right now, but under the circumstances, 1-0 will do.
Anantax
Legend

4 years ago

My prediction has been shit but wont stop me anyways: 4-2 United!
lars072
Legend

4 years ago

Maybe Everton will be shattered from their Europa adventure. But I still think they're be goals ~ I'll say 3-2 us but could easily be the reverse.
swampash
Legend

4 years ago

we win. 3-1.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
marlon
Legend

4 years ago

de Gea
Rafael McNair Rojo Shaw
Valencia Blind di Maria
van Persie Mata Falcao

Lindegaard, Thorpe, Blackett, Fletcher, Fellaini, Januzaj, Wilson

Interesting with Valencia. He can't pass for shit, but he's fast and he'll get stuck in. Not like the alternatives are better. Lukaku's been playing on the right so he'll be up against Shaw/Rojo rather than McNair