West Ham v United

Forum for match day threads
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

But it wasn't shit before Leicester, it was the best attacking football we've seen in years

Since then we've become harder to beat, become Moyesian, lost fluidity

But I've not lost faith in the players, I'm not writing any of the forwards or midfielders off
Steggo
Legend

4 years ago

Sid wrote:But it wasn't shit before Leicester, it was the best attacking football we've seen in years
You obviously weren't at the first Cambridge game!
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:We are floundering up front... there's no chemistry at all, no apparent group attacking mentality... we don't play counter attacking football, when we play possession based football we suck, when we play 4-4-2 long ball-crossing-Fellaini ball, we suck... we've got some of the best attacking players in the game, but as a unit, they look like a pub team... the passing isn't quick, it isn't one touch, it isn't inventive... it's just blunt tool shite... and that's got to be down to Van Gall...
Absolutely right.
spektarm
First Teamer

4 years ago

Steggo wrote:
Sid wrote:But it wasn't shit before Leicester, it was the best attacking football we've seen in years
You obviously weren't at the first Cambridge game!
I suppose he meant the first Leicester game (5-3).
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

I know football fans have short memories but ffs raise your game

Go through some of the old match day threads on here and read some of the comments. A few people were genuinely worried that Van Gaal might only stay for 3 years.
sheesh

4 years ago

Since then we've become harder to beat, become Moyesian, lost fluidity

But I've not lost faith in the players, I'm not writing any of the forwards or midfielders off
Sid, these were our results before the Leicester game (not inc friendlies because they're meaningless):

16 Aug Barclays Premier League Swansea City H 1 - 2
24 Aug Barclays Premier League Sunderland A 1 - 1
26 Aug Capital One Cup MK Dons 0 - 4
30 Aug Barclays Premier League Burnley A 0 - 0
14 Sep Barclays Premier League Queens Park Rangers H 4 - 0
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

Sid wrote:I know football fans have short memories but ffs raise your game

Go through some of the old match day threads on here and read some of the comments. A few people were genuinely worried that Van Gaal might only stay for 3 years.
Well if we were getting carried away then, we're probably getting carried away now. The basic problem that Van Gaal is trying to solve is how to play the safe, controlling football that let us go on that decent run in November and December but add some attacking dynamism to it. It's obvious by now that the combination of Falcao and RVP up top is not working, and a lot of our problems are a result of trying to make that work. The 3-at-the-back and midfield diamond formations are both formations he's used in order to play two strikers with at least three central midfielders. If we just played with one striker, we could try a more normal 4-3-3 type thing with proper width, which the formation that Van Gaal himself has said is his favourite. I wonder if Woodward has ordered him to make it work with Falcao, Rooney, and Van Persie. It wouldn't surprise me if Woodward's basically already agreed to make Falcao permanent, either because that was a secret part of the original agreement or because Mendes has put the screws on him with Falcao in exchange for playing ball over De Gea and maybe other planned summer transfers. Woodward is just the kind of desperate gobshite to get himself into that kind of bind.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

bman2 wrote:

Well if we were getting carried away then, we're probably getting carried away now. The basic problem that Van Gaal is trying to solve is how to play the safe, controlling football that let us go on that decent run in November and December but add some attacking dynamism to it. It's obvious by now that the combination of Falcao and RVP up top is not working, and a lot of our problems are a result of trying to make that work. The 3-at-the-back and midfield diamond formations are both formations he's used in order to play two strikers with at least three central midfielders. If we just played with one striker, we could try a more normal 4-3-3 type thing with proper width, which the formation that Van Gaal himself has said is his favourite. I wonder if Woodward has ordered him to make it work with Falcao, Rooney, and Van Persie. It wouldn't surprise me if Woodward's basically already agreed to make Falcao permanent, either because that was a secret part of the original agreement or because Mendes has put the screws on him with Falcao in exchange for playing ball over De Gea and maybe other planned summer transfers. Woodward is just the kind of desperate gobshite to get himself into that kind of bind.
FFS Bernie... I've never seen someone who could read between a few lines, and get a book... you don't half reach, for theories sometimes...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

bman2 wrote:

Agree totally about the formation, thats the frustrating thing, we have the players to play in their proper positions, even the wank diamond would look far better if we weren't playing ADM as a 10 and Januazi and Rooney as a fuckin midfield. Rooney is our best striker, he should be up top with an actual midfielder in midfield, even that should help.

But we could easily play 4 2 3 1 or 4 3 3 and field a quality 11, but we arent, and the fact it's the first time we have properly been able to for about 5 years is why its a load of shite.

As for the conspiracy theories, I thought Id went off topic by mistake there with Alf and Sid!
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
dozer
Legend

4 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
spektarm wrote:"Wayne Rooney has not hit a shot on target in the Premier League in 2015. His last came away to Tottenham on December 28th."
When was the last time he was played up front???
You may have to ask that question for England soon, considering Harry Kane is very eligible and Sturridge is back to fitness.
Rooney may not have a fixed starting spot anymore - unless he plays in midfield perhaps?
Welbeck will have bid his England career goodbye tbf, although most of you here think he's United quality.

The logic.
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

dozer wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
spektarm wrote:"Wayne Rooney has not hit a shot on target in the Premier League in 2015. His last came away to Tottenham on December 28th."
When was the last time he was played up front???
You may have to ask that question for England soon, considering Harry Kane is very eligible and Sturridge is back to fitness.
Rooney may not have a fixed starting spot anymore - unless he plays in midfield perhaps?
Welbeck will have bid his England career goodbye tbf, although most of you here think he's United quality.

The logic.
Danny Welbeck has a better England goals to games ratio than Sturridge..........

He's actually had some of his better games for country rather than club.

Most Ranters wanted to see a local lad who is still about 3 years from hitting his prime and was constantly played out of position do well. Shocker.

So he didn't quite make it, but we all wished him well, you were the only prick that started spouting off about the new Henry etc.

Yet you think we should get behind a big Belgian shitehouse who is nowhere near United quality, which means throwing him on for 20 mins because we've been shite and hoping something bounces off him and creates a chance. Is it effective and does it work? Yes, sometimes, the fact that it makes most fans of attractive football want to vomit is beside the point I take it, completely disregard our heritage and play hoofball, as long as our Herfro saves the day, we scrape into the champions league spot, and the marketing machine rolls on.

Catch a fuckin grip Dozer.

Dozer logic.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.