final

Manchester United chat
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

But United is all about winning the league, not the Europa. We weren't trying to win the Europa. We only gave a shit about it because it allowed us to do what we failed do in the league and that's enter the CL.

It comes down to this, would you rather finish the season 2nd, 4 wins and 7 points off the champions or 6th, 12 wins and 24 points off but have the Europa League in the bag?

In terms of progress, in terms of building for the future, I'd much rather finish 2nd. Then you're going in to next season thinking we can genuinly challenge for the title. You clearly have a plan, a top team, a way of playing that works - you just need to add one or two players and you can challege

Winning europa means fuck all. We beat the 13th placed La Liga in the semis and a bunch of quality teenagers in the final who play in a much weaker league. Doesn't prove anything.
dozer
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:But United is all about winning the league, not the Europa. We weren't trying to win the Europa. We only gave a shit about it because it allowed us to do what we failed do in the league and that's enter the CL.

It comes down to this, would you rather finish the season 2nd, 4 wins and 7 points off the champions or 6th, 12 wins and 24 points off but have the Europa League in the bag?

In terms of progress, in terms of building for the future, I'd much rather finish 2nd. Then you're going in to next season thinking we can genuinly challenge for the title. You clearly have a plan, a top team, a way of playing that works - you just need to add one or two players and you can challege

Winning europa means fuck all. We beat the 13th placed La Liga in the semis and a bunch of quality teenagers in the final who play in a much weaker league. Doesn't prove anything.
Like I said, I'd prefer winning the Europa over coming second if the second place still meant not even challenging for the title. Only one team can win the league, yes, but if the team coming second hasn't even competed then 2nd means fuck all. It's still a losers position. Tottenham didn't compete for the league win ever this season.
Coming second beats Europa win only if it was a close finish. It wasn't.
United have 2 cup wins to Tottenham's zero. Now Tottenham's 2nd position is a lot more impressive because of their budget, but if United were to finish 2nd, without competing for the league with no cup wins then that would be a worse season than what we have now.
Last edited by dozer on Fri May 26, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

But finishing second means you're in the best place above all the other clubs to challenge for the title next season. Does that not make it worth it over the Europa? To be in that excellent position? Rather than having 12 wins, 31 goals to make up in one summer?

"Tottenam didn't win anything last season" if we'd finished 2nd and were in the CL, and Tottenham finished 6th but won the Europa would you have even rated it? I don't think you would. If they beat quality opposiiton, maybe, but not a bottom half La Liga team and a bunch of kids from a weak league.

Tottenham fans are probably sat there right now thinking yeah you can keep the glorious Europa Cup, we've got bigger fish to fry...
dozer
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:But finishing second means you're in the best place above all the other clubs to challenge for the title next season. Does that not make it worth it over the Europa? To be in that excellent position? Rather than having 12 wins, 31 goals to make up in one summer?

"Tottenam didn't win anything last season" if we'd finished 2nd and were in the CL, and Tottenham finished 6th but won the Europa would you have even rated it? I don't think you would. If they beat quality opposiiton, maybe, but not a bottom half La Liga team and a bunch of kids from a weak league.

Tottenham fans are probably sat there right now thinking yeah you can keep the glorious Europa Cup, we've got bigger fish to fry...
You're talking about how it bodes for the future i.e. we have a lot of catching up to do when compared to Tottenham but I don't see it that way.
United did struggle with Thursday-Sunday fixtures, going all the way to the league cup and they played more games than any other team this season; considerably so.
This means United 2 days to prepare tactics for the prem teams when compared to Chelsea who had a week for most of the season.
Chelsea still performed much better than United but the gap may not have been so bad.
United still had the unbeatean run; with a wednesday CL fixture and more time to prepare they should do better in the league. With better players, they could potentially convert more chances next season. Under Gaal everything looked hopeless.
Also, Jose will have had his second season at the club. He will have the advantage of knowing his squad first hand better.
I think United are more likely than Tottenham to be at a higher position on the table.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

I thuink that's optimistic as fuck tbh. I think Wembley will be the main reason Tottenham may struggle. Bigger pitch, more fans, more pressure, shite atmosphere. That and I think Poch needs to tweak it and freshen up their attack because the Prem will adapt to their threats if not.

The wed/sat fixtures might only be for the first half of the season. We could drop into the Europa in the second half then it's thurs/sun again, so don't get your hopes up yet.

I don't think Europa fucked up our season as much as peple make out. If it did it's because Jose didn't use the squad properly or the youth. But we have a massive squad and they only played 5 more games than they did last season. Some of the sunday fixtures after Europa games were against fucking Boro, Hull, Burnley etc - we should be beating them with Ibra Rooney Martial Mata Mickey Pogba Herrera ffs. You're saying we'd have beaten them if we'd have played in europe on wednesday not thursday? Fuck off tbf. One day less prep isn't a leveller. Ultra conservative football, players out of position, no plan, 8-1-1 is the reason we didn't win those games.
redzebs
Legend

1 year ago

I expect world class shite football next season.
Ie. I don't like the way we play but I expect us to do it right, play shit football but with the pass accuracy, shooting accuracy, as many chances and goals as that setup should allow and top class players to play to their best in that system
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
bman2
Legend

1 year ago

redzebs wrote:I expect world class shite football next season.
:)) :)) that's a good way of putting it
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

1 year ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... efeat.html

Fuck sake, that's a bit harsh, in't it?
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

bman2 wrote:
redzebs wrote:I expect world class shite football next season.
:)) :)) that's a good way of putting it
:))
redzebs
Legend

1 year ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... efeat.html

Fuck sake, that's a bit harsh, in't it?

Too much Dutch Courage
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.