Other Teams' Stuff

Non-United football chat
swampash
Legend

I still maintain it presented a danger to life and limb, btw, and should be acted on by FIFA...
FuB
Site Admin

swampash wrote:I still maintain it presented a danger to life and limb, btw, and should be acted on by FIFA...

Assuming we've cleared up whether they were fireworks or the low-power red flares you see regularly enough - I didn't see the game or incident and I was specifically commenting on what i'd understood to be use of actual fireworks...

personally, I don't think lighting flares has any benefit to atmosphere or football. it's just fucking annoying and, particularly, when they're lobbed onto the pitch (which doesn't happen so much on the continent due to the crowd often being so far away from the pitch with an athletics track in between). a club advocating and encouraging their use when the activity is banned is outrageous so i'm with you.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
swampash
Legend

On the night, they looked like proper distress flares with real flames, not just smoke...although I’m no expert.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

FuB wrote:
swampash wrote:I still maintain it presented a danger to life and limb, btw, and should be acted on by FIFA...

Assuming we've cleared up whether they were fireworks or the low-power red flares you see regularly enough - I didn't see the game or incident and I was specifically commenting on what i'd understood to be use of actual fireworks...

personally, I don't think lighting flares has any benefit to atmosphere or football. it's just fucking annoying and, particularly, when they're lobbed onto the pitch (which doesn't happen so much on the continent due to the crowd often being so far away from the pitch with an athletics track in between). a club advocating and encouraging their use when the activity is banned is outrageous so i'm with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhXgQavyOdM so the flares in this are not beneficial to this atmosphere? You find this annoying? Is the whole thing annoying or is it great until the flares come out, then it becomes annoying?

I think the fans in the ground disagee with you, Fub. When the flares come out there's a big cheer. And if you listen really closely you can hear Glenn Hoddle sneering in the background, muttering something about the lack of fire buckets.
FuB
Site Admin

they seemed to be having a pretty good time without the flares and then, after the flares had died down, they carried on. i'm sure the flares were a catalyst but i'd argue they didn't actually need them to make the atmosphere that electric. i don't really care if the crowd - or you - disagree with me. i, personally, find flares annoying. not much more i can say!
Unitedroad
Trainee

Are we seriously condoning someone taking a flare into a football ground and lighting it ?
swampash
Legend

Which game is that clip from Sid?
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

FuB wrote:they seemed to be having a pretty good time without the flares and then, after the flares had died down, they carried on. i'm sure the flares were a catalyst but i'd argue they didn't actually need them to make the atmosphere that electric. i don't really care if the crowd - or you - disagree with me. i, personally, find flares annoying. not much more i can say!

'Local man wants flares banning from global football because he personally doesn't like them'
FuB
Site Admin

Sid wrote:
FuB wrote:they seemed to be having a pretty good time without the flares and then, after the flares had died down, they carried on. i'm sure the flares were a catalyst but i'd argue they didn't actually need them to make the atmosphere that electric. i don't really care if the crowd - or you - disagree with me. i, personally, find flares annoying. not much more i can say!

'Local man wants flares banning from global football because he personally doesn't like them'

:))

You cheeky cunt. When did i mention banning them?
swampash
Legend

...as opposed to
'Local man wants bonfires on the terraces to add to the atmosphere'