United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

FuB wrote:
2 months ago
Doesn't his contract run out at the end of the season anyway. They'll just not renew it.
It makes no sense to bring this dof in with Mourinho still there. No one with any sense would want to have any continuity of his shite
Aye, it would have to be a DoF that was down with Mourinho's philosophy and could identify players that were suitable for it. Problem is his philosophy is at odds with Uniteds and arguably isn't good enough to win the league in this era. So yeah it wouldn't make sense to appoint the cunt now while Jose is still there unless this is how the board want the club to play.
FuB
Legend

2 months ago

They'll bring this new cunt in and his first job will be to replace Mourinho
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
marlon
Legend

2 months ago

Transfers and a new coach would be better planned months in advance. Leipzig have already hired a new coach for next season. You hire a guy in May and you'll have a chaotic summer. It's not like he's on the training pitch - you set the philosophy with the coaches you hire and the players you buy - there's no contradiction in hiring him now if you're letting Mourinho go at the end of the season. Even if you keep Mourinho it's better to have him in charge than Woodward.

(Also Mourinho has a contract till 2020).
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

marlon wrote:
2 months ago
Transfers and a new coach would be better planned months in advance. Leipzig have already hired a new coach for next season. You hire a guy in May and you'll have a chaotic summer. It's not like he's on the training pitch - you set the philosophy with the coaches you hire and the players you buy - there's no contradiction in hiring him now if you're letting Mourinho go at the end of the season. Even if you keep Mourinho it's better to have him in charge than Woodward.

That would require the DoF to be a neutral conduit. But for me they have to be on the same wavelength as the manager. Like City got Peps main man Begiristain from Barca in advance to lay the groundwork for when Guadiola came. He knows Pep, he knows what he wants and it yielded great results.

But also we differ from City in that like Barca, Madrid etc the club has its own well established philosophy that is bigger than any managers. So that has to be taken into consideration too.

And for me the latter is why we're hiring a DoF; to prioritise the clubs philosophy. We've had 3 managers that were totally wrong for United who all signed players that don't work together. So now you're seeing those behind the scenes step in and begin shaping United into something more fitting. That's why they vetod Jose's signings, and IMO why the young players that Mourinho doesn't like (Shaw, Martial and Rashford) are still here. So for me the new DoF will basically be the head of all the influential people behind the scenes (board, Fergie, Charlton etc) and channel their vision.
FuB
Legend

2 months ago

marlon wrote:
2 months ago
thanks for pointing that out, marlon. I did think I must have got it wrong because it seemed a bit too good to be true that he'd be fucking off at the end of the season... wishful thinking on my part. this also fits a bit more with the concept of Carrington work being sorted before they do it although, as I understand it, they're only at the planning stage for this work so maybe it doesn't all fit together nicely.

either way, if they're announcing this now, it seems to me that they must already have someone either in mind and gettable or already under a pre-contract. I suppose it could be that they're essentially making this announcement a job advert in order to get the ball rolling but that doesn't really seem to be how the club or the Glazers work.

even though, on the face of it, this all sounds like good news in the long run, one thing we should all bear in mind is, well... they've been fucking useless at bringing in managers who might actually keep the philosophy we would want going so it doesn't logically follow they'll suddenly be able to get the right man in the DoF job either... and this would be the person given the power to fix things but, just as easily, fuck them up further.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
marlon
Legend

2 months ago

i assume the timing has to do with the acrimonious window - a pr move because woodward overreached.

Also, Sid, g neville was saying (before the Leicester game) that Charlton and Fergie had no influence and he was asking who was overruling mourinho. Maybe thats what promted the whole thing. United making decisions like Trump/Fox
dozer
Legend

2 months ago

I think Gaal's signings were the main problem.
Moyes signed Mata and Fellaini who're still better than Blind, Rojo, Shaw, Herrera, Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Di Maria, Falcao and Depay. Only Martial has been, at best mediocre
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

marlon wrote:
2 months ago
i assume the timing has to do with the acrimonious window - a pr move because woodward overreached.

Also, Sid, g neville was saying (before the Leicester game) that Charlton and Fergie had no influence and he was asking who was overruling mourinho. Maybe thats what promted the whole thing. United making decisions like Trump/Fox
I don't believe that at all. Gaal said in a press conference that Gill and Fergie often ring him to bollock him whenever he did something that generated negative publicity - so when Jose is causing shit I guarantee Fergie is either talking directly to him or telling thre board and ex players stuff. He won't be completely distant from his creation, he just won't, he's too invested. There might not be a direct line of communication or clear job role for him, but even just his conversations with the board, Woodward, current players and ex players will hold massive influence because of who he is.

Nev just doesn't rock the boat. He does as he's told.
swampash
Legend

2 months ago

...any indication yet who it might be?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

2 months ago

The idea of a DoF is that he represents the long term, instrinsic footballing principles of the club. The appointment of the role should be completely agnostic from who the current manager is.

Either the current manager ties in with, and aligns to the vision and ideals established by the DoF or he's binned off. Surely? Approaching the appointment on the basis of 'who'd work well with Mourinho' is farcical. It's supposed to be a about creating sustainability regardless of who the manager is.