vs Crystal Palace

Forum for match day threads
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 16182
Joined: 6 years ago

9 months ago

Sid wrote:
9 months ago
I would have liked to have seen Mickey play under Ole. He was class for Arsenal yesterday. His stats were never that bad for us tbf. We'd definitely be getting more out of him now than we are Sanchez.
He had a great game last night and got a goal and assist the game before. Good luck to him.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 7403
Joined: 6 years ago

9 months ago

We often underrate our own academy players, but on average they're probably a better bet than new signings. At least half of our signings don't work out. How many players have we signed who were actually better than home grown players that got slagged a lot, like Fletcher? You saw McTominay and Fred beside each other against Palace. When it comes to midfielders, if not bringing in our own, I'd be inclined to look for players doing well already in the PL, like Ruben Neves and Declan Rice.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 5612
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

9 months ago

Lazarus wrote:
9 months ago
Lazarus wrote:
9 months ago
FuB wrote:
9 months ago
Lazarus wrote:
9 months ago
.....oh the irony. So taking someones posts and calling them out is ok if it's current. It's a time related thing.

There's just so many unknown ad hominem rules.
yeah. let's try and keep the discussion current rather than bullying people for what they said two years ago.

I think you mean "ad hoc" though. ad hominem would be me saying you're a cunt
Ah right..... so no Fergie, Moyes, LVG, Jose mentions anymore, great! No referring to ex-players. No mentions of old Trophies. No mentions of previous formations. Hope you keep on top of yourself and everyone else the way you seem to have developed a need to personally police my posting activity.

As for bullying people, go fuck yourself. Have I bullied you? Do you feel bullied? If not back the fuck off and let the people you think are being bullied speak for themselves. Rant doesn't need a self appointed superhero.

...and no i meant ad hominem, not ad hoc. No you haven't called me a cunt but you have mentioned how you think i'm being ignored by posters, that my dealer is special and that i'm a bully.

"ad hominem, is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument."
....You could just apologise for starting this bullshit, rather than childishly ignoring my posts about your accusations. :-w
sorry Laz.

you told me to back the fuck off. I complied.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
marlon
Legend
Posts: 5341
Joined: 6 years ago

9 months ago

bman2 wrote:
9 months ago
We often underrate our own academy players, but on average they're probably a better bet than new signings. At least half of our signings don't work out. How many players have we signed who were actually better than home grown players that got slagged a lot, like Fletcher? You saw McTominay and Fred beside each other against Palace. When it comes to midfielders, if not bringing in our own, I'd be inclined to look for players doing well already in the PL, like Ruben Neves and Declan Rice.
Our PL signings haven't been great either and our academy players do get chances.Our recruitment's been bad and it doesn't help how drastically our manager styles change every couple of years
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 23619
Joined: 6 years ago

9 months ago

It's an interesting point tbf. If Gomes becomes the top player he should, he'll be class for us, like Scholes. But if we signed a player like that, they'd probably be a bit shit.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 7403
Joined: 6 years ago

9 months ago

It was great to see McTominay actually impose himself more against Palace. Some ambitious forward passes, getting the better of Zaha. He's gaining confidence and moving beyond just sitting in front of the back four and trying not to fuck up.

Which makes sense. The standards in our academy are surely high enough that any graduate who gets called up to the first team squad, even if it's due to an injury crisis, can knock the ball about well and has a good range of passing.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 5612
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

9 months ago

bman2 wrote:
9 months ago
It was great to see McTominay actually impose himself more against Palace. Some ambitious forward passes, getting the better of Zaha. He's gaining confidence and moving beyond just sitting in front of the back four and trying not to fuck up.

Which makes sense. The standards in our academy are surely high enough that any graduate who gets called up to the first team squad, even if it's due to an injury crisis, can knock the ball about well and has a good range of passing.
You'd sort of hope that the academy at the biggest club in the world would churn out, at the very least, some competent players. No one could expect a conveyer belt of superstar after superstar but the step up to the big stage is something they can't be completely conditioned for. They've either got the balls or they haven't. It's definitely not going to help them gain confidence if they're thrown into a team where the message from the manager is "don't do anything wrong and definitely don't do anything I haven't told you to do... or you'll be held up in front of the press". Ole's approach is clearly anything but that. Also, you can't ignore the fact that the academy is headed up by someone who will have the same philosophy as Ole does so i'd assume that players are being coached towards a specific style of play. It can't help if, when you finally get onto the field as a senior player, you're being told to play in a completely different way.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend
Posts: 5206
Joined: 6 years ago

9 months ago

in hindsight mcshite bossed it for about 20 mins at best

think it was the shock of him attempting that forward pass tbf
lkhm

hoofing
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 23619
Joined: 6 years ago

9 months ago

McTominay looking like a decent mid is probably because he isn't scared of being publicly blamed and belittled for fucking up under Ole. The example Jose set young players was a disgrace. Ole is the opposite, he didn't hang Pereirra out to dry after his fuck up v Burnley. He also said he wants his mids to do more than break up play and pass it sideways, he wants em to go forward and play more forward balls. So that's probably why Tom looks better now.
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 16182
Joined: 6 years ago

9 months ago

FuB wrote:
9 months ago
Lazarus wrote:
9 months ago
Lazarus wrote:
9 months ago
FuB wrote:
9 months ago
Lazarus wrote:
9 months ago
.....oh the irony. So taking someones posts and calling them out is ok if it's current. It's a time related thing.

There's just so many unknown ad hominem rules.
yeah. let's try and keep the discussion current rather than bullying people for what they said two years ago.

I think you mean "ad hoc" though. ad hominem would be me saying you're a cunt
Ah right..... so no Fergie, Moyes, LVG, Jose mentions anymore, great! No referring to ex-players. No mentions of old Trophies. No mentions of previous formations. Hope you keep on top of yourself and everyone else the way you seem to have developed a need to personally police my posting activity.

As for bullying people, go fuck yourself. Have I bullied you? Do you feel bullied? If not back the fuck off and let the people you think are being bullied speak for themselves. Rant doesn't need a self appointed superhero.

...and no i meant ad hominem, not ad hoc. No you haven't called me a cunt but you have mentioned how you think i'm being ignored by posters, that my dealer is special and that i'm a bully.

"ad hominem, is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument."
....You could just apologise for starting this bullshit, rather than childishly ignoring my posts about your accusations. :-w
sorry Laz.

you told me to back the fuck off. I complied.
Can't say fairer than that then. :ymcowboy:
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Post Reply