United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
swampash
Legend

2 months ago

Good article Sid - nail on head stuff.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Sounds good but the proof is in the pudding, whether we actually churn out some top talent or not
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

1 month ago

20 years and counting
lkhm

hoofing
sheesh
Legend

1 month ago

Sid
Legend

1 month ago

sheesh wrote:
1 month ago
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rd-relaxed

Relaxed? Says it all really.
It's been a fucking year :)) it's never going to happen
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

The club is clearly briefing now that there will be no more players coming in. Eriksen not interested, unsurprisingly. Dybala not interested. The fact that we were chasing two high profile players who weren't interested, in the last week of the window, shows that whatever our strategy was, it failed badly. Also shows what a nonsense it is for Ole to be saying he's happy with the squad. Obvious bullshit.

In the end, we're a step up from Leicester for British players now. That's our place. Frankly Jose was right to throw a strop last summer and Pogba is right to want out, because United has become a waste of time for anyone with ambition.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
The club is clearly briefing now that there will be no more players coming in. Eriksen not interested, unsurprisingly. Dybala not interested. The fact that we were chasing two high profile players who weren't interested, in the last week of the window, shows that whatever our strategy was, it failed badly. Also shows what a nonsense it is for Ole to be saying he's happy with the squad. Obvious bullshit.

In the end, we're a step up from Leicester for British players now. That's our place. Frankly Jose was right to throw a strop last summer and Pogba is right to want out, because United has become a waste of time for anyone with ambition.
Hard to disagree.

Midfield needs major work and to not have invested in that area, is shoddy.

We'll be stronger than the group we had last season, but so will Spurs and Arsenal, and Chelsea may actually benefit from having to try a different approach.

The deals weve done make sense, by and large. De Ligt would've been better than Maguire, who we've over paid for. But we simply dont have the negotiating power or skill to have gone about those deals differently.

The one I cant understand is the Fernandes deal - hes perfect for us, available, fair price etc. Cant believe we haven't acted.

If Lukaku were moved on and we brought in a quality midfielder it'd actually have been a decent window. It just feels like our approach is disjointed and reactive, although most of what you see in the media is speculative bollocks.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
1 month ago
The deals weve done make sense, by and large. De Ligt would've been better than Maguire, who we've over paid for. But we simply dont have the negotiating power or skill to have gone about those deals differently.

The one I cant understand is the Fernandes deal - hes perfect for us, available, fair price etc. Cant believe we haven't acted.
I agree, I like our two defensive signings. They are definitely no bargains, but the chances of them being good and improving us are high. I don't know about Fernandes. In theory he looks ideal for us. But clearly no club is interested in him at the price Sporting are asking; he might be a bit of a flop if you were to sign him, a player who had a great season in a lower quality league. When I watch his highlights, an awful lot of his goals come from shit keeping -- they aren't great strikes, they wouldn't beat a decent PL keeper from those distances.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

It's a bit much to expect the club to radically overhaul the midfield and defence in one go. FFP might have stung us as well. But we needed at least one midfielder. If Pogba leaves we're truly fucked.