@ West Ham

Forum for match day threads
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24883
Joined: 7 years ago

1 year ago

sheesh wrote:
1 year ago
FuB wrote:
1 year ago
bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
FuB wrote:
1 year ago
bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
Ole is going to go down in infamy as the twat who sold half his squad and didn't replace them.
I do feel sorry for him in that respect but, as Knobby has been pointing out plenty of times, Ole should have had the balls to know it wasn't going to work out and walk.
The fact that we were making serious inquiries about Dybala, whatsisname at Juve, and Eriksen at the close of the window shows that he knew himself we were taking a huge risk. Why we were scrabbling ineffectually at the close of the window is of course a pertinent fucking question.
Absolutely.

To be fair, Woodward has played a blinder here: get in the "fan's choice" young, hungry manager and let him fuck up. It'll be his inexperience and lack of credentials that get blamed and it detracts a bit from Woodward's two big name fuck-ups because, ultimately, they'll have done "better".
I think the fans will go after Woodward if this season is a shit show.

Although I'll always be a United fan, I'm losing interest in this side tbf. The club has no ambition to compete with the best teams in Europe. Nothing will change until the owners have gone, and who knows when that will be?

I've joined a Sunday league team myself, where we are also shite. Especially me.
Yeah I'm not sure Ed has played a blinder. Some fans won't turn on Ole because of who he is, and a lot that have are sympathetic. When you look at his 3 signings, they're either good or very good like Wan-Bissaka. So far it's 3 out of 3 which is a lot better than the previous bloke. And fans praise him for getting rid of so much average shite - because half of rebuilding isn't just buying players, it's getting rid of others. So Ed is due a shitload of stick when he pulls the trigger.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 7944
Joined: 7 years ago

1 year ago

I think the club decided to shift their financial model and rein in wages and transfers in order to adjust to not being a CL team. Previously their models depended on being in the CL. Fergie and Gill got them used to thinking that competing for the title was viable on modest expense and that top 4 was nailed on. Now they're sick of spending lots of money on transfers and wages, only for top 4 to -- at best -- a 50/50 chance each season. They figure it's not worth it. The Tampa Bay NFL team model basically. It doesn't make too much difference, money wise, where you finish in the league, once you've said goodbye to that top 4 CL money.

If you want to be optimistic, they might open the money taps again if they think things are working out and we could be consistent top 4 again. Or if you want to be really optimistic, they couldn't get Poch this summer anyway, so they're letting Ole have a season, with relatively little money spent to back him, laying the groundwork for a Poch + DoF. But there is zero reason for optimism at United these days.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6123
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
sheesh wrote:
1 year ago
FuB wrote:
1 year ago
bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
FuB wrote:
1 year ago


I do feel sorry for him in that respect but, as Knobby has been pointing out plenty of times, Ole should have had the balls to know it wasn't going to work out and walk.
The fact that we were making serious inquiries about Dybala, whatsisname at Juve, and Eriksen at the close of the window shows that he knew himself we were taking a huge risk. Why we were scrabbling ineffectually at the close of the window is of course a pertinent fucking question.
Absolutely.

To be fair, Woodward has played a blinder here: get in the "fan's choice" young, hungry manager and let him fuck up. It'll be his inexperience and lack of credentials that get blamed and it detracts a bit from Woodward's two big name fuck-ups because, ultimately, they'll have done "better".
I think the fans will go after Woodward if this season is a shit show.

Although I'll always be a United fan, I'm losing interest in this side tbf. The club has no ambition to compete with the best teams in Europe. Nothing will change until the owners have gone, and who knows when that will be?

I've joined a Sunday league team myself, where we are also shite. Especially me.
Yeah I'm not sure Ed has played a blinder. Some fans won't turn on Ole because of who he is, and a lot that have are sympathetic. When you look at his 3 signings, they're either good or very good like Wan-Bissaka. So far it's 3 out of 3 which is a lot better than the previous bloke. And fans praise him for getting rid of so much average shite - because half of rebuilding isn't just buying players, it's getting rid of others. So Ed is due a shitload of stick when he pulls the trigger.
Seems a nailed on "when" either way. I do follow your point but results taking a serious nosedive after a period of total shit before Ole took over might easily obscure any good stuff he's done.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24883
Joined: 7 years ago

1 year ago

bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
I think the club decided to shift their financial model and rein in wages and transfers in order to adjust to not being a CL team. Previously their models depended on being in the CL. Fergie and Gill got them used to thinking that competing for the title was viable on modest expense and that top 4 was nailed on. Now they're sick of spending lots of money on transfers and wages, only for top 4 to -- at best -- a 50/50 chance each season. They figure it's not worth it. The Tampa Bay NFL team model basically. It doesn't make too much difference, money wise, where you finish in the league, once you've said goodbye to that top 4 CL money.

If you want to be optimistic, they might open the money taps again if they think things are working out and we could be consistent top 4 again. Or if you want to be really optimistic, they couldn't get Poch this summer anyway, so they're letting Ole have a season, with relatively little money spent to back him, laying the groundwork for a Poch + DoF. But there is zero reason for optimism at United these days.
I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Jose was the turning point; a top manager who'd won major trophies at every club, so they went all in with half a bil and the biggest wage bill in sport - and got nothing back. That was the last attempt at competing, now the new model reflects the last 6 years: average shite.
User avatar
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend
Posts: 5241
Joined: 7 years ago

1 year ago

bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
I think the club decided to shift their financial model and rein in wages and transfers in order to adjust to not being a CL team. Previously their models depended on being in the CL. Fergie and Gill got them used to thinking that competing for the title was viable on modest expense and that top 4 was nailed on. Now they're sick of spending lots of money on transfers and wages, only for top 4 to -- at best -- a 50/50 chance each season. They figure it's not worth it. The Tampa Bay NFL team model basically. It doesn't make too much difference, money wise, where you finish in the league, once you've said goodbye to that top 4 CL money.

If you want to be optimistic, they might open the money taps again if they think things are working out and we could be consistent top 4 again. Or if you want to be really optimistic, they couldn't get Poch this summer anyway, so they're letting Ole have a season, with relatively little money spent to back him, laying the groundwork for a Poch + DoF. But there is zero reason for optimism at United these days.
this is why ole should resign if the club means as much to him as he says

but it don't tbf, all the cunts thinking about is this being his one shot at the big time so he does whatever hes told and tell us everythings great and smiles for laz
lkhm

hoofing
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 16181
Joined: 7 years ago

1 year ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:
1 year ago
bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
I think the club decided to shift their financial model and rein in wages and transfers in order to adjust to not being a CL team. Previously their models depended on being in the CL. Fergie and Gill got them used to thinking that competing for the title was viable on modest expense and that top 4 was nailed on. Now they're sick of spending lots of money on transfers and wages, only for top 4 to -- at best -- a 50/50 chance each season. They figure it's not worth it. The Tampa Bay NFL team model basically. It doesn't make too much difference, money wise, where you finish in the league, once you've said goodbye to that top 4 CL money.

If you want to be optimistic, they might open the money taps again if they think things are working out and we could be consistent top 4 again. Or if you want to be really optimistic, they couldn't get Poch this summer anyway, so they're letting Ole have a season, with relatively little money spent to back him, laying the groundwork for a Poch + DoF. But there is zero reason for optimism at United these days.
this is why ole should resign if the club means as much to him as he says

but it don't tbf, all the cunts thinking about is this being his one shot at the big time so he does whatever hes told and tell us everythings great and smiles for laz
So you'd sack him now? Anybody else?
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6123
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

1 year ago

Lazarus wrote:
1 year ago
lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:
1 year ago
bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
I think the club decided to shift their financial model and rein in wages and transfers in order to adjust to not being a CL team. Previously their models depended on being in the CL. Fergie and Gill got them used to thinking that competing for the title was viable on modest expense and that top 4 was nailed on. Now they're sick of spending lots of money on transfers and wages, only for top 4 to -- at best -- a 50/50 chance each season. They figure it's not worth it. The Tampa Bay NFL team model basically. It doesn't make too much difference, money wise, where you finish in the league, once you've said goodbye to that top 4 CL money.

If you want to be optimistic, they might open the money taps again if they think things are working out and we could be consistent top 4 again. Or if you want to be really optimistic, they couldn't get Poch this summer anyway, so they're letting Ole have a season, with relatively little money spent to back him, laying the groundwork for a Poch + DoF. But there is zero reason for optimism at United these days.
this is why ole should resign if the club means as much to him as he says

but it don't tbf, all the cunts thinking about is this being his one shot at the big time so he does whatever hes told and tell us everythings great and smiles for laz
So you'd sack him now? Anybody else?
he so blatantly isn't saying that so why do you feel the need to mount a strawman argument?

this in the same thread you've accused me of lies
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 7944
Joined: 7 years ago

1 year ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:
1 year ago
bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
I think the club decided to shift their financial model and rein in wages and transfers in order to adjust to not being a CL team. Previously their models depended on being in the CL. Fergie and Gill got them used to thinking that competing for the title was viable on modest expense and that top 4 was nailed on. Now they're sick of spending lots of money on transfers and wages, only for top 4 to -- at best -- a 50/50 chance each season. They figure it's not worth it. The Tampa Bay NFL team model basically. It doesn't make too much difference, money wise, where you finish in the league, once you've said goodbye to that top 4 CL money.

If you want to be optimistic, they might open the money taps again if they think things are working out and we could be consistent top 4 again. Or if you want to be really optimistic, they couldn't get Poch this summer anyway, so they're letting Ole have a season, with relatively little money spent to back him, laying the groundwork for a Poch + DoF. But there is zero reason for optimism at United these days.
this is why ole should resign if the club means as much to him as he says

but it don't tbf, all the cunts thinking about is this being his one shot at the big time so he does whatever hes told and tell us everythings great and smiles for laz
In reality, that's a hard thing to do though. I mean, we said the same about Ferguson and Gill when the Glazers took over, but they stayed and went on to have one the most successful periods in the club's history, even though it seemed pretty clear from the outside that they were cash-limited. And it depends how the conversations play out. If the club is saying, "fuck it, top 4 isn't worth the expense", that's abysmal, and he should ask himself what he stands for. But if they're telling him they want to rein in the spending for a time, evaluate how to identify transfer targets that kind of thing, that's different. I mean no one can deny they've pissed a fortune away on bad buys. Are they getting a grip on things, or just tightening the pursestrings forever? not clear yet.

Plus, he's only human. Got a family and a career. I think the Glazers are parasites, but if they offered me a job that pays millions a year, with a multimillion payout if I fail, sorry lads, but i'd take it.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6123
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

1 year ago

bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:
1 year ago
bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
I think the club decided to shift their financial model and rein in wages and transfers in order to adjust to not being a CL team. Previously their models depended on being in the CL. Fergie and Gill got them used to thinking that competing for the title was viable on modest expense and that top 4 was nailed on. Now they're sick of spending lots of money on transfers and wages, only for top 4 to -- at best -- a 50/50 chance each season. They figure it's not worth it. The Tampa Bay NFL team model basically. It doesn't make too much difference, money wise, where you finish in the league, once you've said goodbye to that top 4 CL money.

If you want to be optimistic, they might open the money taps again if they think things are working out and we could be consistent top 4 again. Or if you want to be really optimistic, they couldn't get Poch this summer anyway, so they're letting Ole have a season, with relatively little money spent to back him, laying the groundwork for a Poch + DoF. But there is zero reason for optimism at United these days.
this is why ole should resign if the club means as much to him as he says

but it don't tbf, all the cunts thinking about is this being his one shot at the big time so he does whatever hes told and tell us everythings great and smiles for laz
In reality, that's a hard thing to do though. I mean, we said the same about Ferguson and Gill when the Glazers took over, but they stayed and went on to have one the most successful periods in the club's history, even though it seemed pretty clear from the outside that they were cash-limited. And it depends how the conversations play out. If the club is saying, "fuck it, top 4 isn't worth the expense", that's abysmal, and he should ask himself what he stands for. But if they're telling him they want to rein in the spending for a time, evaluate how to identify transfer targets that kind of thing, that's different. I mean no one can deny they've pissed a fortune away on bad buys. Are they getting a grip on things, or just tightening the pursestrings forever? not clear yet.

Plus, he's only human. Got a family and a career. I think the Glazers are parasites, but if they offered me a job that pays millions a year, with a multimillion payout if I fail, sorry lads, but i'd take it.
if he did resign, he's probably tied to a NDA in some way or another that will stop him saying why and, even if he's not, I think it's still going to be hard for him to not look like he's left because he can't handle the job/realised he's not good enough. Even if that, ultimately, is the case, it's down to a question of whether his personal pride outweighs his professional dignity.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 7944
Joined: 7 years ago

1 year ago

It is also possible that the club was willing to spend more and Ole couldn't find a player that he liked and that was available and not too expensive. It sounds like he was kind of picky choosing players, and limited himselves to ones that Phelan or Carrick, or someone close to them, could directly vouch for. Some of Carrick's Newcastle gang vouched for Lonstaff, or so a report says. So he might have shat himself when given the option to take the plunge on someone like Fernandes, cos he knew how much criticism of previous managers there is. Moyes shat himself when faced with the pressure of making big decisions in the transfer market too, when Woodward was embarrassingly desperate to spend money.
Post Reply