OGS.....

Manchester United chat
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

jason_uk wrote: 3 years ago Ole isn't the cause of the problem, he is part of the problem for sure, but until there is a major shakeup in the board structure, how transfers are handled(ie being able to work on more than 1 deal at a time, and it not taking 3 months to complete) nothing will ever change.
Sure we can sack ole, back to square one, bring in poch for a couple of seasons, before we get back to this point, where he gets sacked, and it will go on and on, until all that's left is a shell of the club.

The problem lies with the glazers, while they own the club, we are fucked, but that's been the case since day dot, and nothing is realistically going to change.
The Glazers are at the root of it. No doubt. They need running out of town. But.... we could still be successful, IF they had the nous, or interest to appoint proper football people to run the recruitment and coaching side of things. Stick in a proper DoF with a very clear sense of what his budget is, and we could get onto a much better course very quickly.

None of which changes the fact that Ole ain't good enough and never will be, but I don't see the point of calling for his head.
bman2
Legend

Pochettino is still available. Get in Poch and someone to run the football side of things, and at least we’d be on the road to being a competent operation. Ole has done well to apply some common sense and get the worst dross out of the club, but we need a top manager who can get the best out of the players, organize the defense, institute a clear playing style.
swampash
Legend

Totally with the above two posts. A DoF is probably our biggest requirement - way beyond fixing squad gaps.
And the hobbit is not going to hack it as first team coach. Tactically bereft of ideas. Fair enough he stopped the rot as a post Jomo stopgap, which deserves respect but he simply doesn’t have the skills or the balls to take us forward.
I do feel genuinely sorry for him. But that is no reason to stick with him. He is way out of his depth and needs to go.
The only slight nagging doubt I have is whether a decent DOF might have helped him get it right.
bman2
Legend

I think that after more than a season and a half, Ole has been good at bringing back some sense of competitive team mindset. The competitive philosophy is good. I just don't see much sign yet of the tactics and game management being there. And I feel that now we'll start to lose the positive team mindset because the players also want to see progress.

I think we need someone like Poch, who from everything I've heard and read, is often compared to Guardiola and Klopp in terms of being obsessive and fixated on the details. He's supposed to be the kind of manager who grabs the players during training and shows them where to stand, where their feet should be, what the rest should be doing, and so on. I think that's maybe what we need now. Look at our defense. The problem I see is that we actually don't know which of our CBs are better than the others, which pair works best together. If someone like Poch was to say, Lindelof is shite, sell him, then I'll believe it. Because he has a track record at this level. Can we really be sure that Ole is making the best call on who should start and who should be sold between Smalling, Lindleof, Maguire etc.?

At Pochettino's Spurs, all the players looked good, they could have sold practically any of them for good money to top clubs. But none of them came with big reputations. Same as Dortmund and now Liverpool under Klopp. Same with City under Guardiola. I want the kind of manager that makes players look better than the reputations they had before. Most of our players still look much worse than their reputations. At some point, that's on Ole.

In other words, I think replacing Ole with Poch would be really harsh on Ole, really unfair, but good for the club.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

The only thing with Poch is he famously hated not having a DoF at Spurs, and having to go through Levy instead. So I doubt he'll want to work with a worse ceo in Woodward. Matt Judge too who we now know is both incompetent and not arsed about his role.

It's well known how badly run we are behind the scenes so I think he'd turn us down. There are better clubs to work for.
fat maradona
Legend

dozer wrote: 3 years ago
We all DON'T know they were Woodward buys. That's false. Lvg wanted those players. Woodward has been criticised by Moyes lvg and Jose but no one's mentioned that they were forced upon his player choices. Lvg wanted those left footed left sided centre back etc, Depay, Blind and other crap like how Moyes wanted Baines, Fellaini and Mata.
Ok Dozy, so the list here (https://www.football365.com/news/man-ut ... er-windows) doesn't say that they were Woodward signings but if you do look through those transfer windows and remember who the manager was and what they wanted at the time, the vast majority of signings were not the managers choices. They were Woodwards (and his departments) choices....
dozer
Legend

Did Ole show tactial awareness and the capability to play multiple systems today?
Those have been the biggest complaints.
Fortunately it looks like the bad start this season
was a result of a poor pre season. The last game gave me hope. This game was also a good indication of that. We looked way too shit in the first 3 games. It is more likely an anomaly becaude we did really well the second half of last season.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

You have to give him a lot of credit. His formation switch and subs when PSG were on top made us the dominant team again. Also starting with the pace of McTominay, Fred and Tuanzebe rather than Pog, Maguire and Matic nullified PSGs counter brilliantly, which was their only real threat in the first half. McT being quicker and more agile meant he got out quick to help Shaw and Wan-Bissaka when Neymar picked up the ball which rendered him useless for a lot of the game. Matic would have planted himself in front of the back 4 and not moved, and would have been treading water during PSGs counters 20 yards away from the action. So that was another good tactical move from Ole.
dozer
Legend

Anyone's saying Ole out today? Thought not.
Too many people are here only to say "I told you so". People must look at the performances over many games rather than dying to look out for that opportunity. Just silly imo.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

His tactics were class again. Formation and team selection. I don't think you can knock him in the big games. His record against the top 6 is class. It's against shite teams were he falls down, particularly against teams that park the bus.