vs Sevilla

Forum for match day threads
marlon
Legend

1 year ago

Pogba is great (awful last night) - the bigger problem is Mourinho massively overates Matic. Matic fabregas in a 2 was mental and so is Matic pogba. Completely dysfunctional. Pogba does no defensive work and loses possession all the time.

This is the difference between pep and Mourinho. City get away with playing 10s in midfield because their style means that most of the time that's exactly where they're playing. Mourinhos lineup is often similarly attacking, but we have no style, no structure and too many players are asked to do things they have no aptitude for, too often.
Davel
Legend

1 year ago

i dont joke about players Laz (seems years ago when we won 4-0 constantly) but it was only around last november, we went to anfield without pogs and mou bottled it and went with a defencive approach. we all stated on here how much pogs would be missed this game, as he was bossing midfield at the time.
Since then the decline has been rapid,not sure why but ive posted constantly about the phycological damage he inflicted/created in the team by more or less telling them more or less
that they were not good enough to beat a bottom of the table team liverpool at that time.

Damage done

he then starts tinkering with positions and lineups,blaming players/fans,weather/god trying to solve a problem he`s creating by playing more and more defensive, the more players track back the more were attacked and so on.its a vicious circle,
Finally some of the players are revolting against this Pogs being one,Shaw another,soon he will lose the dressing room and then the terraces,
Now we come to DOES HE WANT TO BE SACKED
I think so, he wants his last payment because i cant see him managing club football after this fiasco, also this will be woodlouse`s last tinker in a chief exe role (sales and marketing is his role) and the fact he knows he will be chopped is the reason he`s tried gagging the players
by saying any player not agreeing with EL FOOLO will be sold

Now ive been quite solid with predictions (liverpool apart) :) i see a new chief exec and a complete managment team by august.
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

I suspect Mourinho and the OT management were prepared to sacrifice (if not actually throw) this game. JoMo's brief for this season was probably 'reach the CL knockout stage and get us top 4 in the PL'.
No one in their right mind would imagine we could win the CL the season. If we had got past Sevilla we would have probably been mauled by the next opponent. Meanwhile, getting top 4 looks doable, though could easily be fucked up.
Having got to the CL knockout stage, I suspect the priority has become 'top 4 in the PL and to fuck with anything else'. This may have been deliberately or inadvertently communicated to the squad, hence we stepped up to the plate against Liverpool, to make sure that they didn't overtake us in the PL, but couldn't really be arsed last night.
There may even be a financial incentive at play here for Mourinho - he may be on a decent bonus for achieving the dual targets of CL knockout stage plus top 4 in the PL. Having already banked the former, he then would have an incentive for focussing on the latter.
What this doesn't explain though is the lack of attitude shown by the team. In the 'good old days' pulling on the United strip was motivation enough to go out and try your damnedest to win. In these modern football mercenary days, perhaps that's no longer enough - except maybe for Lukaku? I've not been his greatest fan so far, but he did appear to be one for who the result last night really mattered.
If I'm right in my suspicions, then the honest thing would have been to admit it and field a junior team who would at leat benefit from the CL experience. It would have also been more honest to the fans, especially those who paid good money for tickets for this game.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

Sevilla had 46 shots over over 2 legs. We were bound to concede.
Steggo
Legend

1 year ago

Youre right Davel,Liverpool away was THE pivotal game of the season. Being totally negative there had such a detrimental effect and led to an horrendous Christmas. That game seemed to see a change in Mourinhos mindset, his tactics and the confidence of the team. Personally I thgink he has lost the dressing room already.

Unless there are ulterior reasons for such disgraceful performances against Seville Mourinho has lost the plot. Playing Matic and Fellopian in midfield is not the action of a manager that is either bothered or who has the slightest inkling of what is needed in a two game tie.Pathetic. Why not start with the team that beat Liverpool a few days before?

As for the players,are they really as bad as they seem or has the tactics,positional changes etc sucked the confidence out of them? To be honest its a bit like the Chelsea players response in Mourinhos last days.Brilliant attacking players are being neutered by the tactics and defensive mindset of the manager. No wonder they're pissed off.Sanchez plays like hes the 'new' old Rooney in his last two seasons with us. Pogba totally uninterested etc etc. But the really worrying thing was the look on De Geas face as he came off the pitch on Tuesday-not 'wow,how did we lose that, but more I'm totally pissed of with this-time to go.
No excuse for Tuesdays performance-it was pathetic. Time for Mourinho to go? I don't think they'll sack him-he'll walk all by himself.Replacement? If we want to go forward with a style of football that suits then I'd go for Joachim Loew. If we want more of whats on offer now then 'Big Sam' is the only answer!
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

How about Löwe as manager and Oliver Biehoff as DOF?
Not likely to happen though...
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

Looks fairly clear he threw the Sevilla game...?
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

swampash wrote:
1 year ago
Looks fairly clear he threw the Sevilla game...?
I've said it a couple of times in this and other threads but I really sense a tide of "just enough" showing through this season. We needed to get top 4... which we ought to achieve. We needed to get at least to the knockout phase of the CL... which we did achieve (and then went out with a whimper). We possibly (here, of course, we'll all say DEFINITELY!) need to win a trophy and, on balance with City out of it and us as the supposedly best of the rest, the FA cup should be within our grasp.

Doesn't cheer me up in the slightest to look at it with that perspective but it, sadly, explains a few things - assuming we beat Brighton (which clearly isn't a given).
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit