Expectations next season

Manchester United chat
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 19618
Joined: 5 years ago

2 months ago

Jose on next season

“It depends on what your opponents do,” Mourinho said. “I was champion in Spain with 100 points and Barcelona had 91 points. Ninety-one points was a failure for Barcelona? I don’t think it was but the other guys did 100 points.

“So in this season many clubs had positive seasons, like us, like Tottenham, like Liverpool. But it was impossible because City were really good and consistent and will reach a number of points that makes it impossible for you. If they do the same number of points [next season] it will be almost impossible. If they get into 90-something points, it is almost impossible.”

There's that fighting spirit. He's basically admitting he can't get us on their level.
User avatar
Snoopcousins
Legend
Posts: 4494
Joined: 4 years ago

2 months ago

No he’s not.
He’s made it clear we need to up our game, including summer signings
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
fat maradona
First Teamer
Posts: 196
Joined: 4 years ago

2 months ago

Snoopcousins wrote:
2 months ago
No he’s not.
He’s made it clear we need to up our game, including summer signings
That's the answer, throw more money at it. Rather then think differently and utilise the squad he has got to better effect. Sure, the back four need to be improved but we've been tight at the back this season and shipped fewer goals than most anybody.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 6016
Joined: 5 years ago

2 months ago

I'm not going to demand that we win the PL or CL, but we need to make a decent stab at one (or preferably both). Winning is hard, we're not entitled to it, but we should be entitled to being properly back among the top contenders.

Europa, League Cup, and possibly FA Cup, in addition to maybe finishing a respectable second with a good points total etc, that's fair enough as a sign of real progress after three years of chaos. But the next stage has to be winning the league or narrowly losing it, with a deep run in Europe. And performances to match -- consistently holding our own or beating top sides, none of this underdog shit.

Optimistically, we might have turned a corner a bit in the past few weeks. Something about the group mentality seems to have improved, getting good results against the top sides. Maybe we've had a good response to the embarrassing display against Sevilla.
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 12395
Joined: 5 years ago

2 months ago

Sid wrote:
2 months ago
Jose on next season

“It depends on what your opponents do,” Mourinho said. “I was champion in Spain with 100 points and Barcelona had 91 points. Ninety-one points was a failure for Barcelona? I don’t think it was but the other guys did 100 points.

“So in this season many clubs had positive seasons, like us, like Tottenham, like Liverpool. But it was impossible because City were really good and consistent and will reach a number of points that makes it impossible for you. If they do the same number of points [next season] it will be almost impossible. If they get into 90-something points, it is almost impossible.”

There's that fighting spirit. He's basically admitting he can't get us on their level.
God he talks some shite.... Did you win the title yes or no? Yes Barca failed with 91 points. If City get into 90-something points then Jose needs us to get 1 more or he's failed.

I expect us to become marginally better after changing players and spending a load more money.... and Pogba and Sanchez will hopefully have settled in and it will be ok to expect better from them.
"NO BILL POSTERS" [-X
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 19618
Joined: 5 years ago

2 months ago

bman2 wrote:
2 months ago
I'm not going to demand that we win the PL or CL, but we need to make a decent stab at one (or preferably both). Winning is hard, we're not entitled to it, but we should be entitled to being properly back among the top contenders.

Europa, League Cup, and possibly FA Cup, in addition to maybe finishing a respectable second with a good points total etc, that's fair enough as a sign of real progress after three years of chaos. But the next stage has to be winning the league or narrowly losing it, with a deep run in Europe. And performances to match -- consistently holding our own or beating top sides, none of this underdog shit.

Optimistically, we might have turned a corner a bit in the past few weeks. Something about the group mentality seems to have improved, getting good results against the top sides. Maybe we've had a good response to the embarrassing display against Sevilla.
This is my opinion as well. I mention the 400m a lot because that's the bottom line that the Glazers care about and thus is the context for everything we do. But I also mean it as a pointer to how many players Jose has signed - fucking 8 - including some real quality. So we have a squad that's good enough to challenge for the title now. Like Pogba said if the players are allowed to attack, allowed to hammer teams rather than sit off at 1-0 or 2-0 or play for a fucking draw away from home, we can run City close.

We need to be allowed to build up an aura of fear and supremacy like City did by smashing teams. But so far Jose's never let us. We get some momentum going then it's time to play Liverpool, Jose shits himself and the performances nosedive there afer. But that's how City got so many wins, because teams were scared of em. It took Liverpool to not show any fear, and to attack them, for them to look vulnerable. But they got away with it for months because nobody dare.

We need that. With our attacking line up every team should be shit scared of playing us.
User avatar
Snoopcousins
Legend
Posts: 4494
Joined: 4 years ago

2 months ago

Sid - stop spoofing!!!!
POGBA DID NOT SAY THAT FFS
And what is this 400m bollox?
It’s alredy been shown that city have spent 100m more than us
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
Lakendary
First Teamer
Posts: 174
Joined: 3 years ago

2 months ago

I hope that Jose doesn't have his famous 3rd season meltdown. I hope we don't end outside the top 4. And I hope we can keep Pogba and Martial for another season. I hope we don't sign Fellaini. And finally I hope we sort out our defense, even though we shipped less goals this season, most of it's down to De Gea's brilliance. That would be a successful season for United.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 6016
Joined: 5 years ago

2 months ago

Lakendary wrote:
2 months ago
I hope that Jose doesn't have his famous 3rd season meltdown. I hope we don't end outside the top 4. And I hope we can keep Pogba and Martial for another season. I hope we don't sign Fellaini. And finally I hope we sort out our defense, even though we shipped less goals this season, most of it's down to De Gea's brilliance. That would be a successful season for United.
I agree with all of that. A sensible post, what's happening to this place???
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 4506
Joined: 5 years ago

2 months ago

We need a title challenge at the very least.
Post Reply