consolation pot

Forum for match day threads
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

You're deflecting. Point is you didn't celebrate or acknowledge the FA Cup win under Gaal, now you're hailing it as a major trophy. You've been found out.

We were meant to be lifting the treble this year but 2 seasons and 400m later here we are still miles off top and relying on the FA Cup again, just like under Gaal. Only difference this time is you're hailing it as a major success.
swampash
Legend

2 months ago

first priority is result
second priority is pretty football
the end
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Snoopcousins
Legend

2 months ago

swampash wrote:
2 months ago
first priority is result
the end
Yep, agree

Although Laz doesn’t like the CL win against Chelsea....doesn’t count apparently
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
Lazarus
Legend

2 months ago

swampash wrote:
2 months ago
first priority is result
the end
It can be both...... in fact it's what the best teams do.
"NO BILL POSTERS" [-X
Lazarus
Legend

2 months ago

Snoopcousins wrote:
2 months ago
swampash wrote:
2 months ago
first priority is result
the end
Yep, agree

Although Laz doesn’t like the CL win against Chelsea....doesn’t count apparently
....and?
"NO BILL POSTERS" [-X
Lakendary
First Teamer

2 months ago

swampash wrote:
2 months ago
first priority is result
the end
No, not the end. Good football and good results aren't mutually exclusive. You can have both. Look at City.

Do you prefer ending 2nd with the prospect of winning the FA Cup playing shit football or end 4th with the prospect of winning the Champions League playing good attacking football?

Lemme guess, you'd take former cause you hate Liverpool and won't want to admit they have a good thing going on. If the roles were reversed, you'd probably say attractive attacking football is great and there is no difference between ending 2nd in the league and 4th, since both positions get to play in the Champions League next season.

However, I will admit I would be very frustrated if United went through a similar period as Arsenal did a couple of years ago when they just moved to the Emirates, playing very attractive football and not winning anything. They were always just one or two players short of having a great squad who could go on and win the league, but Wenger always thought that he could still do it selling his best players and replace them with average players who he could develop into better players.

If results are the main priority, then why watch football at all? Get yourself a score app on your mobile device, check the result on there. And when United win a trophy, tune in then and watch them lift it. Since that's what matters most to you anyway.
Snoopcousins
Legend

2 months ago

Lakendary wrote:
2 months ago
swampash wrote:
2 months ago
first priority is result
the end
No, not the end. Good football and good results aren't mutually exclusive. You can have both. Look at City.

Do you prefer ending 2nd with the prospect of winning the FA Cup playing shit football or end 4th with the prospect of winning the Champions League playing good attacking football?

Lemme guess, you'd take former cause you hate Liverpool and won't want to admit they have a good thing going on. If the roles were reversed, you'd probably say attractive attacking football is great and there is no difference between ending 2nd in the league and 4th, since both positions get to play in the Champions League next season.

However, I will admit I would be very frustrated if United went through a similar period as Arsenal did a couple of years ago when they just moved to the Emirates, playing very attractive football and not winning anything. They were always just one or two players short of having a great squad who could go on and win the league, but Wenger always thought that he could still do it selling his best players and replace them with average players who he could develop into better players.

If results are the main priority, then why watch football at all? Get yourself a score app on your mobile device, check the result on there. And when United win a trophy, tune in then and watch them lift it. Since that's what matters most to you anyway.
You’re like Sid- changing the goalposts.....

When we finished 5th and won the EL , Sid said he’d rather have finished 4th in the PL as that’s better....
Now he’s saying 4th is as good as 2nd if you play better football...
And that’s what you’re saying now....

you’re basically JUSTIFYING everything Wenger has done with Arsenal these last few years ....winning nothing, but get 4th place and place pretty football...!
It’s bollox

And you use City as an example of doing both?
They have had an exceptional season- that wont be repeated....they took 100 points off everyone other than us or Liverpool....we done the next best thing
The only thing I want to improve on is better performance in the CL...Qtr’s at least
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
swampash
Legend

2 months ago

You're missing the point Lak. No one is suggesting pretty football and results are mutually exclusive. But sometimes you have to employ tactics that nullify the opposition. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a significant part of the game - and a part I actually find really interesting (how to outthink the other manager).
The point is that getting results has been and always will be the priority. Suggesting otherwise is delusional.
And yes, I am really okay with finishing second and (hopefully) winning the FA Cup, as it shows we are making progress. What's not to like about that?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

Yeah Swamp, it's the tactics to nullify the opposition against relegation fodder that's pissing everybody off - except the deluded Jose fanboys like Snoop who hated it under Gaal and now celebrate it under Mourinho. But they're few and far between now.

United is results based now, because it's such a big club and so much money depends upon it. Problem is Mourinho isn't getting the results in the big tournaments. You can't build the biggest most expensive sponsorship portfolio on the back of FA Cups, second place and being 19 points off top. It needs major trophies, big games against Madrid, Barca, City in europe. Not losing to Sevilla without trying to score a goal.
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

Snoopcousins wrote:
2 months ago
Lakendary wrote:
2 months ago
swampash wrote:
2 months ago
first priority is result
the end

You’re like Sid- changing the goalposts.....

When we finished 5th and won the EL , Sid said he’d rather have finished 4th in the PL as that’s better....
Now he’s saying 4th is as good as 2nd if you play better football...
And that’s what you’re saying now....

you’re basically JUSTIFYING everything Wenger has done with Arsenal these last few years ....winning nothing, but get 4th place and place pretty football...!
It’s bollox

And you use City as an example of doing both?
They have had an exceptional season- that wont be repeated....they took 100 points off everyone other than us or Liverpool....we done the next best thing
The only thing I want to improve on is better performance in the CL...Qtr’s at least
The phrase is moving the goalposts, not changing em :))

I'll give you an example of what it means, like how you hated the shit football and being so far off the leaders under Gaal but now justify under Mourinho or how you expected Gaal to challenge for the title with a shite squad, and then a season later under Jose with 150m worth of added talent said 6th was a heoric achievement with this squad that was basically relegation fodder