United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

1 month ago

Sky reporting that we're also about to appoint a technical director.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Things are looking up
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

1 month ago

I say this with a degree of caution, but maybe there's recognition that we need to run ourselves like a proper fucking football club.
sheesh
Legend

1 month ago

Definitely a positive move from the club. I'm glad they seem to be taking this seriously, and not simply tinkering around the edges with just another managerial appointment.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

It had to be someone with strong connections to the club after they appointed a cunt that shows no respect for the clubs he's at - from being the only cunt not in a suit at the Munich memorial (which turns out really pissed the club off) to attacking the fans and lying about them booing Lukaku to deflect from another shite performance, to blaming the ballboys, the players, slagging Scholes, Ferdinand, Nev, to not even committing to buying a house in manchester - it's been a disaster tbf

Just by not doing those vindictive cunty things Ole is already an improvement
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
It had to be someone with strong connections to the club after they appointed a cunt that shows no respect for the clubs he's at
Not convinced it has to be someone with strong connections - but their previous manner of conducting business has to be a key factor. We should be looking at people who've previously performed the role well at the biggest clubs in the world. Who has a track record of establishing the sort of model we need, running it well, nailing recruiting and scouting, ensuring an appropriate standard of training and sports science, defining a route from academy to first team, defining the template for what a 'United Player' should be. I have no idea, but we should be looking at the best out there without constraining it to previously United contacts.
sheesh
Legend

1 month ago

If we're talking about interim manager, i personally think Wenger or Hiddink would have been better choices. I'd be more confident that we'd see an uptick in performances and results than with Ole. Those two have more managerial gravitas.

There's still plenty of football to be played this season. What if we go on a run of games without winning and end up in the bottom half of the table? I'm not for one moment saying we'd end up getting relegated, but we still need performances and results.

Anyway, the decision has been made! Not much can be done except to hope that the players perform for Ole. It will be interesting to see if Pogba starts performing. He can't hide behind Mourinho now.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

1 month ago

I think the club are taking a view that there isn't a huge amount to do tactically, or in terms of squad change over the next 6 months. The 'big plan' launches in the summer - for now, just having someone that can bring a positive vibe to training, let them play with freedom, represent the club in a positive, cheerful light in the media, and get the goodwill of the fans onside, is all that's needed. Why implement a specific tactical framework when it'll change in 6 months? We ain't gonna win owt - just let em play.

Wenger has the experience, but would have have brought the level of supporter goodwill given his Arsenal history? would he have 'gone with the flow' in terms of the current dressing room culture.

Ole won't try to stronghandle anyone - he'll just give them freedom. That'd be my view.

It probably makes sense - but it very much assumes that we're getting our shit in order for the summer. The second the season finishes, throw whatever it takes at getting Poch. Get it done early.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
It had to be someone with strong connections to the club after they appointed a cunt that shows no respect for the clubs he's at
Not convinced it has to be someone with strong connections - but their previous manner of conducting business has to be a key factor. We should be looking at people who've previously performed the role well at the biggest clubs in the world. Who has a track record of establishing the sort of model we need, running it well, nailing recruiting and scouting, ensuring an appropriate standard of training and sports science, defining a route from academy to first team, defining the template for what a 'United Player' should be. I have no idea, but we should be looking at the best out there without constraining it to previously United contacts.
You're spot on. I think / hope they will do all that long term. But short term Ole makes sense, on paper at least. If he parks the bus against Cardiff we're fucked :))