United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
Sid
Legend

4 weeks ago

He used to work under Poch so that would be a plus. Like City getting Begiristain from Barca before they got Pep.
bman2
Legend

4 weeks ago

Sounds promising. It's key that the new manger and the director of football, whatever the role will be called, actually work well together.

I think in practice the "director of football" job was shared by Ferguson and Gill, it wasn't Ferguson alone. And we probably weren't doing a great job by the end of Ferguson's tenure, when it came to recruitment and retaining players and renewing contracts, it was a bit hit and miss. I think clubs of United's stature have just gotten too big, there's too much money involved, and too many complications and hangers-on and middle men that come with that, for the old school English conception of the manager to be sustainable. It's probably too much for any one person.
Lazarus
Legend

4 weeks ago

bman2 wrote:
4 weeks ago
Sounds promising. It's key that the new manger and the director of football, whatever the role will be called, actually work well together.

I think in practice the "director of football" job was shared by Ferguson and Gill, it wasn't Ferguson alone. And we probably weren't doing a great job by the end of Ferguson's tenure, when it came to recruitment and retaining players and renewing contracts, it was a bit hit and miss. I think clubs of United's stature have just gotten too big, there's too much money involved, and too many complications and hangers-on and middle men that come with that, for the old school English conception of the manager to be sustainable. It's probably too much for any one person.
We definitely weren't doing a great job.........
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
sheesh
Legend

4 weeks ago

sheesh
Legend

3 weeks ago

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -role.html

It would be good to give Peter some sort of a role at the club. I'm not sure about giving him the DoF role, though. Does he have modern ideas?
Sid
Legend

3 weeks ago

They're all wanting jobs now an old legend is in charge
Lazarus
Legend

3 weeks ago

I don't give a shit about all this director of football stuff. I'm not there behind the scenes seeing what's happening. The only thing i can see is on the pitch and at least can talk about that with some knowledge. For me the manager is the person who calls the shots on what happens on the pitch, even if Schmeichel becomes DoF, and the buck stops with him. Whatever they do above him is his problem..... he took the job.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X