Glazer scum

Manchester United chat
Post Reply
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 23385
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

Looks like the anti Glazer protests are coming back next season so it merits its own thread

Here's an interesting interview with MUST

User avatar
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend
Posts: 4939
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

Doubt it’ll achieve much, but I’m in.
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 23385
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
4 months ago
Doubt it’ll achieve much, but I’m in.
The situation is a lot different this time tbf. In 2005 and 2010 we were still competing for titles and the CL. But now, what we feared during those previous two protests has become reality: we're shit. So fan pressure plus the Glazers not being able to compete financially anymore... We've got a lot in our favour.
User avatar
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend
Posts: 5149
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

glazers and taggart are in the same boat for me
lkhm

hoofing
User avatar
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend
Posts: 4939
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

Sid wrote:
4 months ago
ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
4 months ago
Doubt it’ll achieve much, but I’m in.
The situation is a lot different this time tbf. In 2005 and 2010 we were still competing for titles and the CL. But now, what we feared during those previous two protests has become reality: we're shit. So fan pressure plus the Glazers not being able to compete financially anymore... We've got a lot in our favour.

That's a good point but the key issues as I see it:

1. Do we have an emotive and 'passionate' enough fanbase to do anything meaningful? Even if an action plan that might make a difference could be identified, would we get enough people organised and engaged enough?

2. What would actually make the Glazers care? What would their tipping point be? I can believe that they understand the amount of money it would need to get us to the top again and that they'd be reluctant to buy into such a plan. But if the commercial revenue looks solid for at least the next couple of years they wont sell unless theres a huge buying price. And even if the revenues shrink theres still a huge amount of borrowing potential against the club as an asset. In short, theres plenty still to milk...

3. Who'd buy? A buyer would need enormous wealth and more benevolent motivations. You could probably count on both hands the number of prospective candidates across the
Planet.
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 15851
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

:))

......isn't that an old article??? How do you do it? Have you got a file of old newspaper articles or do you use magic to travel back in time? You'll ruin Rant doing this you know....... not to mention upsetting some people....
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 23385
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
4 months ago
Sid wrote:
4 months ago
ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
4 months ago
Doubt it’ll achieve much, but I’m in.
The situation is a lot different this time tbf. In 2005 and 2010 we were still competing for titles and the CL. But now, what we feared during those previous two protests has become reality: we're shit. So fan pressure plus the Glazers not being able to compete financially anymore... We've got a lot in our favour.

That's a good point but the key issues as I see it:

1. Do we have an emotive and 'passionate' enough fanbase to do anything meaningful? Even if an action plan that might make a difference could be identified, would we get enough people organised and engaged enough?

2. What would actually make the Glazers care? What would their tipping point be? I can believe that they understand the amount of money it would need to get us to the top again and that they'd be reluctant to buy into such a plan. But if the commercial revenue looks solid for at least the next couple of years they wont sell unless theres a huge buying price. And even if the revenues shrink theres still a huge amount of borrowing potential against the club as an asset. In short, theres plenty still to milk...

3. Who'd buy? A buyer would need enormous wealth and more benevolent motivations. You could probably count on both hands the number of prospective candidates across the
Planet.
1. 2010 proved we have a passionate enough and big enough fanbase to rock the boat, especially rich fans like that Ratcliffe billionaire cunt who have a lot of political capital and command the ear of the media etc.

2. We know the massive green and gold campaign affected sponsors’ relationship with United. They didn’t like the negative publicity. Every time United was on TV it was anger, protests, "green & gold til the club is sold" etc. Even just the fact fans stopped wearing the famous red shirt sponsors want to be associated with, in favour of the G&G colours, is bad for their brands. Sponsors want us all smiling like dumb fucks, oblivious, wearing all the club gear like a walking advert.

The Glazers can't easily ride it out like they did last time. Back then we were challenging for titles and the CL, now we're almost midtable. So it all hinges on whether the Glazers want to get us back challenging or at very least top 4. And that depends on how the current mediocrity impacts commercial revenue. If/when it does, having thousands of fans giving it stacks, plus sponsors complaining, might be enough to persuade them to cash in, take the 4bn and fuck off.

3. Full fan ownership is the dream but unlikely in tory neolib britain were everything is up for sale, especially a financial powerhouse like United. So a more realistic goal is whoever comes in next has to give fans a meaningful stake in the shares. Pretty sure 25% allows supporters to have a say on important decisions like whether the club can be sold. So that would be a foot in the door.
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 15851
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

If this gathers momentum and the football is shit then they will probably bail. But who takes over? Giving the fans a stake is the proper way to go..... so that won't happen.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Post Reply