To elk or not to elk

The original Den of Iniquity
Pikey McScum
Star Man

1 month ago

Apologies in advance if I picked this up wrong, but were you actually out hunting elk??

That's not cool...
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

1 month ago

Pikey McScum wrote:
1 month ago
Apologies in advance if I picked this up wrong, but were you actually out hunting elk??

That's not cool...
That's an opinion that you are entitled to have.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
1 month ago

That's not cool...
Were you actually killing elk? I thought it was a glorified camping trip
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
1 month ago

That's not cool...
That’s what it ended up deign.
Pikey McScum
Star Man

4 weeks ago

RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
1 month ago

That's not cool...
Right, so the original purpose of this glorified camping trip was to kill elk!? Regardless of whether or not you actually killed any, the intent alone is absolutely abhorrent.
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

4 weeks ago

Pikey McScum wrote:
4 weeks ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
1 month ago

That's not cool...
Right, so the original purpose of this glorified camping trip was to kill elk!? Regardless of whether or not you actually killed any, the intent alone is absolutely abhorrent.
Again; that's an opinion that you are entitled to have, regardless of how misinformed it is.
Pikey McScum
Star Man

4 weeks ago

RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 weeks ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
4 weeks ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago

Again; that's an opinion that you are entitled to have, regardless of how misinformed it is.
Please - "inform" me....
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

4 weeks ago

Pikey McScum wrote:
4 weeks ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 weeks ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
4 weeks ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago

Please - "inform" me....
Inform you of what? You have an opinion that hunting is abhorrent and that is incorrect.
Sid
Legend

4 weeks ago

RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 weeks ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
4 weeks ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 weeks ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
4 weeks ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago

Please - "inform" me....
Inform you of what? You have an opinion that hunting is abhorrent and that is incorrect.
So say why though innit. There can be legit reasons, like some communities rely on it etc. But the fact you're not saying suggests that ain't the case with you.
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

4 weeks ago

Sid wrote:
4 weeks ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 weeks ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
4 weeks ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 weeks ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
4 weeks ago

Please - "inform" me....
So say why though innit. There can be legit reasons, like some communities rely on it etc. But the fact you're not saying suggests that ain't the case with you.
These are NOT subsistence hunts, rather they are a lottery drawing for which you must pay to apply and be lucky enough to be picked, if you are not picked you forfeit the cost of the application. The money raised from these hunts (licenses, permits, tags) is used by the Arizona Game & Fish, and Forestry Departments to help maintain the lands on which the hunts occur, otherwise that cost would have to be covered by federal and state taxes. I could purchase a half (or even a quarter) a cow from one of the local ranches, butchered that is between 4 to 8 hundred pounds and cost $750 - $1500 approximately. Of course you could buy the meat one steak at a time but then the cost becomes extremely expensive. A hunting license, drawing entry and tags will cost me about $150 and a butchered Elk will provide about 450 pounds. It is illegal not to maximize the amount of meat taken from a downed animal, the penalties are; fines and the loss of equipment used in the hunt (vehicles, planes, boats), weapons and camp equipment although it is usually just the fine.

These hunts are not just harvesting animals, the hunting areas cover hundreds (and in some cases thousands) of square miles, the animals have better sense of sight, hearing and smell, they are stronger and have better stamina. The rates for getting picked for these hunts is very low and not all those picked will be successful, the fulfilment rates is usually around the mid to high teens. If you choose not to eat meat that’s just fine, if you choose to have someone else kill and butcher your animal of choice, that also works. I will kill and eat my own animals thanks.