Alf to Sid...

Political Debate
Pikey McScum
Star Man

1 week ago

I've always said that shows you the power mainstream media has over the masses - the Rupert Murdoch's of this world only tell us what they think we should know.

Which makes me wonder, where are good sources for alternative (but credible) news? I have my suspicions about all news outlets (I'm convinced they have their own agendas) but be curious what is recommended, if anything...
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
Lazarus
Legend

1 week ago

Pikey McScum wrote:
1 week ago
I've always said that shows you the power mainstream media has over the masses - the Rupert Murdoch's of this world only tell us what they think we should know.

Which makes me wonder, where are good sources for alternative (but credible) news? I have my suspicions about all news outlets (I'm convinced they have their own agendas) but be curious what is recommended, if anything...
I've decided that all media has inherent bias, some of the media make it obvious but with most it's harder to spot. I've got lots of time to spend reading many articles on any subject so that's what I do, then i pick the bones out of it. I read both sides of the argument and then any foreign opinions i can find. I don't think the 'fake news' problem is as bad as it's being made out to be (at least no worse than it's ever been) but it's really the rise in Fascist rhetoric and lies that is the 'new' problem.... Just look how often Trump himself just plainly lies!

My new way of following the news is using twitter to follow journalists that i feel are balanced and strive for the facts. They post articles by other journalists, even former opponents, and any things they write i try to read other and opposing opinions. Then there's the ability now, with the internet and all it's it's associated platforms, to watch events live or get opinions from people on the ground or directly affect by any events.

I'm up to my neck in American politics atm and it is insane! If you are interested in that check out Maggie Habberman and Rick Wilson's twitter feed and follow the links to other stuff.

The truth is out there...... but is it your truth???
"NO BILL POSTERS" [-X
Pikey McScum
Star Man

1 week ago

Probably cos I watched the end of it a few nights ago, but I'm hearing Jack Nicholson shouting "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!" in my head...
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
Sid
Legend

1 week ago

You can't rely on journos that work for media that has a specific target audience (mostly right wing in britain) , and is ultimately owned by the rich (most british rags to my knowledge) to give you the truth. It's like in all jobs, you follow the line of your employer because they're the ones paying your wages. It's maybe not a great example but there are coppers out there that don't believe in nicking people for possession of weed, because they think it should be legal, but they have to do it because they have to follow the law. There are left wingers that write racist shite and anti eu shite for the Daily Mail because it's their job to, and in the media they're one of the best employers in terms of pay, support for journos etc (especially now Dacres gone who was regarded as a despot dictator). It's a bag of shite. It's that famous quote, the rich piss on us and the journos tell us its raining.
Sid
Legend

5 days ago

Trump really has set the cat among the pigeons here, slaggin May, praising Johnson

Also, interesting how he chose to visit a rich upper class aristocrat first, not any politicians, london, wesminster etc.