Rant anywhere: mobile site/app

As part of United Rant’s continual evolution we welcome to two new interfaces for the website – for touchscreen smartphones and Samsung Bada-enabled devices.

First, those readers with a touchscreen smartphone will enjoy our web-app interface. Navigate to unitedrant.co.uk on your touchscreen smartphone and touch to add the web app interface to your home screen. The application is a HTML-based skin, optimised for iPhone and Android devices. Depending on demand Rant may also offer a native iPhone/Android applications, enabling offline reading, in the coming year.

However, the first native app for readers not on iPhone/Android is for Samsung Bada, which is available for free from the Samsung Apps store here.

Enjoy!

United Rant Mobile

Sharing is caring

Comments

    • says

      Uncle – it does work on BB, although the CSS/ layout isn’t nearly as nice as on a Safari/Chrome browser. Can’t imagine there will be a huge call for a BB native app though.

  1. Sidsidney says

    The mobile version of the site works fine on my phone

    But I was wondering whether there was an app you can save out, if that makes sense

    • reddread says

      Sid, what phone do you have? If it is Android, if you bookmark the site, then visit your bookmarks and long-press on the Rant site, you should then have the option to save the bookmark to your home page. Just make sure you are on a home page with space on it though, else it won’t work. Thus is all assuming you are on Android, of course!

      • says

        reddread – yeah the only native app is for Bada at this stage. Web-app or website for everyone else. Although I suppose that’s a misleading term as it doesn’t store anything offline.

        One day I’ll have native apps for every platform but its a question of time and cost.

  2. reddread says

    brianofnazareth said:
    Does this work on the iphone?

    It is only a mobile version of the site, so yes, it will just open in your browser.
    Honestly. Fucking iPhone users are spastics who shouldn’t be allowed near new technology… :p

    “The longbow beats the crossbow, my idiotic friend”

    LUHG

  3. reddread says

    Ed – and it looks great! A proper app would be brilliant. One slight gripe is that my login details were there, but there didn’t seem to be a Login button. This was in the Opera Mini browser, though. Not checked it in the Android browser yet…

  4. reddread says

    Further to my previous post, it looks the same in the android browser, and I just pressed enter in the password field to log in. Good work!

  5. brianofnazarethbrianofnazareth says

    reddread said:
    Ed – and it looks great! A proper app would be brilliant. One slight gripe is that my login details were there, but there didn’t seem to be a Login button. This was in the Opera Mini browser, though. Not checked it in the Android browser yet…

    FFS Amateur

  6. captainhormonecaptainhormone says

    SOMEONE BEST TELL ALF, THAT THIS WONT WORK ON 2 CANS CONNECTED TO A STRING, OR VIA SMOKE SIGNALS

    SORRY MATE

  7. Sidsidney says

    reddread said:
    Sid, what phone do you have? If it is Android, if you bookmark the site, then visit your bookmarks and long-press on the Rant site, you should then have the option to save the bookmark to your home page. Just make sure you are on a home page with space on it though, else it won’t work. Thus is all assuming you are on Android, of course!

    Sony Ericson Xperia

    I’ve bookedmarked it now, aye, but I want a proper downloadable app because it’s slightly easier to use than a browser

  8. sheesh says

    sidney said:
    Sony Ericson Xperia

    I’ve bookedmarked it now, aye, but I want a proper downloadable app because it’s slightly easier to use than a browser

    Is that phone the one you can play all those cool Playstation games on?

    I’m stuck with the Samsung Galaxy S – which I have to say I hate. It’s a pain trying to upgrade Android on this particular handset.

  9. says

    Bloody show-offs you all are!! I have only a Blackberry!! Hope to get an iPad when it gets cheaper or a Samsung tab when that gets cheaper too…

  10. Sidsidney says

    sheesh said:
    Is that phone the one you can play all those cool Playstation games on?

    I’m stuck with the Samsung Galaxy S – which I have to say I hate. It’s a pain trying to upgrade Android on this particular handset.

    Nah, mine is the much cheaper Xperia 8. It’s decent though, I like it.

  11. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    Ed said:
    Alfonso – please join the 21st century. Thanks.

    Why?

    I’ve yet to see a fuckin thing in the 21st century worth having.

  12. sheesh says

    Alfonso Bedoya said:
    Why?

    I’ve yet to see a fuckin thing in the 21st century worth having.

    Each to their own and all that… but you mean to tell me that there isn’t a single technological innovation that has caught your eye that made you think, “I wish I had that”?

    I love watching football in high definition, for example. Whoever invented the high definition TV deserves a medal, IMO. The ability to record TV programmes via Sky Plus is also something I think is fantastic. Smartphones nowadays don’t cost the earth. Being able to access the Internet on my phone whilst sat on the toilet. That’s fantastic!! These are just a couple of examples. There are many more I probably can’t think of.

    I never fail to be amazed all these changes in technology.

    There are some things I wouldn’t bother with, like an iPad, but I find it hard to comprehend how you can suggest that you’ve yet to see anything in the 21st century that’s worth having.

    As I said…each to their own.

  13. says

    To be fair Sheesh after watching the first 10 matches in HD the thrill wears off. I want to buy the iPad for my wife as present and I do think it is extremely useful. The way technology improves every week is just sensational and I applaud it.

    However, these improvements come with serious health and social consequences. many of them have aided child molesters and creeps who can now do much more..

    The instant messaging of the Blackberry is for me the greatest.

  14. captainhormonecaptainhormone says

    lol….cal…i think you should read those last 2 sentences from an outsiders point of view

    you come across as a nonce….lol

  15. reddread says

    Calvino said:

    However, these improvements come with serious health and social consequences. many of them have aided child molesters and creeps who can now do much more.

    You are Richard Blackwood, and I claim my five pounds.

Leave a Reply

Login with your Social ID

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *