United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

dozer wrote:
4 months ago
Guys. Don't get too excited. Apparently John Murtough was already "head of football development" since Moyes joined.

I remember Murtough being the best scout in FM. This was a long time ago. His ratings have probably dropped now :))
It's true but he has done some good work signing youngsters in a pretty shrewd manner, and putting together a really good women's team literally from scratch

But there is an ultra cynical take, and that's that he's a fall guy for Ed for when we don't sign anyone in the next few years due to covid losses. He'll get the blame and Ed won't.
bman2
Legend

4 months ago

dozer wrote:
4 months ago
Guys. Don't get too excited. Apparently John Murtough was already "head of football development" since Moyes joined.

I remember Murtough being the best scout in FM. This was a long time ago. His ratings have probably dropped now :))
Duncan Castles has been saying for ages that Woodward wanted to do a sort of fake director of football situation, where he and his little gang retained all the power. They interviewed lots of serious people who’ve done good work elsewhere, but none of them were interested, because it was clear that they wouldn’t actually have the authority that a DoF normally would (so you’d probably end up taking all the blame from fans without being able to actually change anything). This looks a bit like that, with yet another ex-player (Fletcher) thrown in for window-dressing. I’m really not encouraged by the same useless shite still being in charge of transfer negotiations, although apparently a lot of our negotiation problems come from the fact that Florida gets involved in almost every deal.

I don’t take everything Castles says as truth, not least because he’s so far up Mendes and Mourinho’s arses. But because of those contacts, he does have pretty good gossip, and it sounds like he was on the money with this one.
bman2
Legend

4 months ago

I’ll hope for the best though. I haven’t seen any really clever transfer business from us yet though, despite all the talk the club does now about how great our transfers are supposed to be. Bruno is a great transfer, but I don’t think the club deserves too much praise for that, since it was really obvious that we should sign him, a lot sooner than we did. Maguire would be ok for half the money, at most. Bissaka was no bargain, but he’s Ole’s second best signing, if he can develop an attacking game. Beek gets no game time. Neither does Telles. Diallo might not either. Then we failed to sign Haaland, Sancho, Bellingham. So it’s not looking very impressive so far.
fat maradona
Legend

4 months ago

This has got be to an early April Fools gag, surely? I mean, how can a club of our stature and ambition appoint two such low profile and negligible track record candidates for what is such an important job at the cluib. We'll all be laughing about this later on. One way or another.
jason_uk
Star Man

4 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
4 months ago
This has got be to an early April Fools gag, surely? I mean, how can a club of our stature and ambition appoint two such low profile and negligible track record candidates for what is such an important job at the cluib. We'll all be laughing about this later on. One way or another.

This is my thinking, this is worse than not having appointed a director of football.
We have gone from being linked to all the serious dofs around Europe, to ending up putting Darren fletcher in place.

Honestly, what expertise or experience does fletcher have for the role.

None. What about his network of contacts across Europe and the world? Non existent id imagine.

Its complete window dressing, oh the fans are crawling for a dof, fine, make up the title, and give it to an old boy who isn't suited for the position, and it will appease the fans, see we now have a dof like all the cool clubs, and its an old fan favourite. Even better.

Maybe I'm being ultra cynical, but this is crazy, but then its united, so they aren't concerned about the best way of doing things, best to get the cheaper easier option, and if keeps the fans appeased, even better.

And fletcher will never speak out against Ed or the board about how the club are restricting his role, compared to if they had actually recruited a dof.
swampash
Legend

4 months ago

If they really spent three years looking for a DOF, and then promoted someone internally, then I suspect they didn’t look very hard for those three years.
I agree it smacks of window dressing.
The one redeeming thought is that they have at least accepted the need for a DoF and might then try looking harder next time.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
swampash
Legend

4 months ago

I need to re-read the article, but doesn’t it suggest the role is split between 2 of them? Fletcher is more focused I think in technical aspects, with the other guy heading the scouting and buying functions?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
swampash
Legend

4 months ago

...then again Bayern seem to have done well with an ex-player in the DoF role.
dozer
Legend

4 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
4 months ago
Murtough was a pretty big deal even before joining United. He has the best stats in FM scouts.