OGS.....

Manchester United chat
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 8748
Joined: 8 years ago

1 month ago

The inability to use the squad or affect a game that’s already started is extremely frustrating. The EL final was damning. Emery had us totally figured out. They sat deep, didn’t give us room to run or counter... and Ole had no response. Nothing. Emery just took our manager out of the game. A 120 minute game. A European final.

The Irish pundits can be great. Many are United supporters, but they’re not part of the chummy Sky/English former players gang. So they’re not going easy on mates or any shit like that.

Some of them pointed that against a team like Villareal, you don’t want runners and dribblers like Pogba and Rashford, you need the tricky players that drift into space, and thread precise short passes. Fernandes is pretty good at that, but it doesn’t work when there’s just one person doing it. Not only do we have Mata as an expert in that kind of play, we also just signed de Beek, who also plays that way and is young and fit. But Ole has not tried to incorporate Beek at all. So precisely the player you might want for the occasion sat uselessly while Ole stuck with Plan A, the only plan, which Emery always knew he’d be facing.
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 5148
Joined: 7 years ago

1 month ago

Hi bman...good to see that eternal optimism still has its place. I, on the other hand, feel terminally pessimistic about where we are and how this will pan out. But, hey, who knows? Maybe the hobbit will turn out to be a tactical genius and the owners will discover a love of football. Whether that all happens before pigs learn to fly, only time will tell...
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 5148
Joined: 7 years ago

1 month ago

Emery and his team watched 17 previous United games. From that they would have known with 100% certainty what our formation would have been and 95% would have known who was going to play. No surprises, no traps set and an easy exercise in sorting your tactics to emasculate us.
And that is the way it is every fucking game and why it is that the hobbit must go. He is tactically inept. Period. The end. Nothing more needs to be said. Get rid of...
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 8748
Joined: 8 years ago

1 month ago

swampash wrote:
1 month ago
Hi bman...good to see that eternal optimism still has its place. I, on the other hand, feel terminally pessimistic about where we are and how this will pan out. But, hey, who knows? Maybe the hobbit will turn out to be a tactical genius and the owners will discover a love of football. Whether that all happens before pigs learn to fly, only time will tell...
I didn’t mean to sound optimistic! The simple fact is that the owners only care about getting too 4. That’s it. That’s the full extent of their interest in “soccer”. Manager gets top 4, grand, nothing changes. Manager doesn’t get top 4, he’s sacked and some clueless twat like Woodward is tasked with finding a replacement.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 8748
Joined: 8 years ago

1 month ago

swampash wrote:
1 month ago
Emery and his team watched 17 previous United games. From that they would have known with 100% certainty what our formation would have been and 95% would have known who was going to play. No surprises, no traps set and an easy exercise in sorting your tactics to emasculate us.
And that is the way it is every fucking game and why it is that the hobbit must go. He is tactically inept. Period. The end. Nothing more needs to be said. Get rid of...
Yeah it was embarrassing. The pattern of the match was obvious 15 minutes in. Emery was cool with that, things were going as he wanted. He subbed players as needed to keep them fresh. In contrast, Manchester United’s manager... well he didn’t do anything did he? I’d fucking love to see a video of the half time talk.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 8748
Joined: 8 years ago

1 month ago

We had two shots on goal in a 120 minute final.
User avatar
jason_uk
Star Man
Posts: 630
Joined: 7 years ago

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
swampash wrote:
1 month ago
Emery and his team watched 17 previous United games. From that they would have known with 100% certainty what our formation would have been and 95% would have known who was going to play. No surprises, no traps set and an easy exercise in sorting your tactics to emasculate us.
And that is the way it is every fucking game and why it is that the hobbit must go. He is tactically inept. Period. The end. Nothing more needs to be said. Get rid of...
Yeah it was embarrassing. The pattern of the match was obvious 15 minutes in. Emery was cool with that, things were going as he wanted. He subbed players as needed to keep them fresh. In contrast, Manchester United’s manager... well he didn’t do anything did he? I’d fucking love to see a video of the half time talk.
HT talk probably consisted of keep on going and the magic moment will come along.

Ole is a feel good guy, and I think the players generally like him, but he is clueless at tactics, outside of plan a, and can't change the flow of a game.

Nothing will change under him.

Sure keep spending massive sums and better players may create more "magic" moments.

Hes basically admitted that we rely on our best players to magic something up.

When it should be coached on the pitch how to open teams up like the other top clubs do.
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 26581
Joined: 8 years ago

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
swampash wrote:
1 month ago
Interesting to speculate but I fear we are going to be stuck with a fuckwit won’t rock the boat substandard tactically inept hobbit for the foreseeable future. The only thing likely to accelerate his demise is a negative impact on the owners asset value.
Get used to it. The glory days are behind us. We are truly fucked.
It’s a tough situation. Ole’s done well, didn’t flop like Lampard. But at the same time, personally I’ve never seen any spark to our play, anything that makes me feel like we’re going to become a slick team that rips the opposition apart. I honestly think it’s very similar to what we got from Moyes. Ole’s been given more time, and isn’t managing a squad that was used to Ferguson and endless success. Plus Woodward had run out of scapegoats so he couldn’t blame Ole for everything like he blamed Moyes.
How do you get rid of Ole? The optics (hate that word) are tough cos he's a club legend and like you say, he's done miles better than anybody expected. Finishing second without a trophy is the best Jose managed in his second season. And you can't sack him for shit performances in cup competitions because nobody rates them. The last two blokes got sacked despite winning them.

Then there's the players. They love him. Whenever he's been in trouble, they've turned up and put together some impressive wins and winning runs.

So right now I just can't see the circumstances in which it'd be acceptable to sack Ole. He's perfect fodder for the upcoming no value covid years, because he's happy to have the job. He thinks that while the Glazers are owners, it's better to have an ex United player that has the clubs best interests at heart influencing things than someone like Jose that doesn't give a fuck if the club burns.
fat maradona
Legend
Posts: 1119
Joined: 8 years ago

2 weeks ago

Don't know much about Eric Ramsay but hopefully he'll make a positive difference to the coaching -
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 26581
Joined: 8 years ago

2 weeks ago

The MEN says he's going to work with players individually as well as on set pieces. So I wonder if that's related to the post I made the other month about the players being pissed off that the club don't provide or pay for extra one on one training, meaning the players have to pay for it themselves and do it at home with personal trainers.

Who knows. But it's nice to have some young coaches in the mix. You assume they're full of modern ideas and better ways of treating players.
Post Reply