Not just a shit beer: Corona and football

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

The Arsenal-City match is postponed because the Arsenal squad have to self-isolate because some of them came into contact with someone or other last month.

I can't see the season finishing, either for European competitions or the Premier League. It's only going to take one player, player's partner, or back-room staff member for a whole team to have to self-isolate for two weeks. In that situation, it seems hard to think that they can even keep on going playing matches to empty stadiums. European competition seems particularly fucked.

If I'm right, then It's good that we've had some good results lately. Really important to win every match now, because the chances are the league results get frozen where they are in the next couple of weeks, so we want to be in fourth or fifth (assuming fifth would get us CL because of City's ban).
bman2
Legend

And how great if the league gets ended before Liverpool can get a new points record :)) Always a silver lining.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Our game tomorrow is behind closed doors I believe?

This is going to create carnage across all walks of life, and I read yesterday that it could take up to a year for infection to peak.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

The Olympics and the euros will probably be played behind closed doors too. Is that even effective in slowing down the virus though? You still have hundreds of people at a game (squads, camera crew, security etc). Surely the best thing is to not play the games full stop
bman2
Legend

I think the behind closed doors thing is going to break down soon. Everything is just going to get canceled. We’re heading into a period of several months were something like 2% of the population on average in every country is going to die, it’s going to be terrible.
bman2
Legend

NBA basketball have just canceled their season because a player has coronavirus. I'm sure the same will happen to every sport.

I watched Trump's "address to the nation". Terrifying, he's clearly had a total breakdown. Banning all flights from Europe, except the UK, because Boris is his pal, makes no medical sense at all. The "foreign virus". America is FUCKED.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Madrid players in quarantine and la Liga's been suspended. Liverpool ain't lifting that trophy. If they do it will be in an empty stadium.
bman2
Legend

FuB wrote: 4 years ago On another note... bman, did we really need two threads about this? I know your angle was coming from the football point of view but it's inevitably now become the main thread. I'd merge them or split this one but I'm not sure in which direction to do it nor whether it would serve any useful purpose.

Sure combine with the other thread if you think it best.
FuB
Site Admin

bman2 wrote: 4 years ago
FuB wrote: 4 years ago On another note... bman, did we really need two threads about this? I know your angle was coming from the football point of view but it's inevitably now become the main thread. I'd merge them or split this one but I'm not sure in which direction to do it nor whether it would serve any useful purpose.

Sure combine with the other thread if you think it best.
I've moved from the point where things branched off to more general discussion on the pandemic.

I think we should still have a thread here for more specific talk in terms of the effect on football (and other sport) but can we keep this thread specific, please?

For anyone wondering where the split off posts went, they went here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2775
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
bman2
Legend

Apparently there’s a PL meeting happening tomorrow. At least some of the clubs apparently disagree with the government’s decision to let sporting events continue. Don’t if that means they want empty stadiums, or postpone matches, or end the season early.

La Liga has gone on pause, I think, or maybe it’s an end to the season. Or a pause that becomes an end to the season.

Arteta tested positice, so the whole Arsenal team is in isolation. It’s just going to happen more and more, I can’t see how you can continue the league.

Might be very important to win this weekend, if it’s our last match, it will have a big impact on our final league position. Sheffield have a game i hand too, which if they won would put them in fifth ahead of us. So ending the league would be messy.