Not just a shit beer: Corona and football

Manchester United chat
fat maradona
Legend

Edfuckingwoodward wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe football is continuing. Its not just the players - the support staff involved in training and putting on games must number in the hundreds for every fixture.
But as long as these people remain in their bubbles, then isn't the risk the same? I employ 45 people and we are continuing as normal (we are classed as essential workers) on the strict proviso that ALL staff are extra cautious in their personal lives for them to be able to work. And at least 75% of our staff have asked to come into the office on a rota basis.
FuB
Site Admin

fat maradona wrote: 3 years ago
Edfuckingwoodward wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe football is continuing. Its not just the players - the support staff involved in training and putting on games must number in the hundreds for every fixture.
But as long as these people remain in their bubbles, then isn't the risk the same? I employ 45 people and we are continuing as normal (we are classed as essential workers) on the strict proviso that ALL staff are extra cautious in their personal lives for them to be able to work. And at least 75% of our staff have asked to come into the office on a rota basis.
I've responded to the second part of your post here: viewtopic.php?p=165497#p165497

I'm genuinely interested in your plans as an employer.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

I can't believe it either. Shows the power of the Prem tbf. The players won't be happy. More and more are getting covid, and if more get long covid then I think you'll see them take action. It really isn't safe. Players at clubs in tier 4, which is basically lockdown, were still catching covid cos this new variant is so easily spread.
FuB
Site Admin

Sid wrote: 3 years ago
I can't believe it either. Shows the power of the Prem tbf. The players won't be happy. More and more are getting covid, and if more get long covid then I think you'll see them take action. It really isn't safe. Players at clubs in tier 4, which is basically lockdown, were still catching covid cos this new variant is so easily spread.
The thing is, though, these people are all in pretty privileged situations. They don't have the same difficulties faced by people on the breadline and could tolerate a bit of hardship without even noticing it. The fact that players at City, for instance, evidently care so little for the situation and the rules imposed by the club (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55520725) is surely the sort of thing that leads to the positive results they've been hit by. A more transmissible variant of SARS-CoV-2 doesn't make the precautions they should be taking invalid; it actually makes them more vital.
bman2
Legend

FuB wrote: 3 years ago
The thing is, though, these people are all in pretty privileged situations. They don't have the same difficulties faced by people on the breadline and could tolerate a bit of hardship without even noticing it. The fact that players at City, for instance, evidently care so little for the situation and the rules imposed by the club (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55520725) is surely the sort of thing that leads to the positive results they've been hit by. A more transmissible variant of SARS-CoV-2 doesn't make the precautions they should be taking invalid; it actually makes them more vital.
Didn't a City player throw a New Year's party? sounds like a plausible source of the problem right there...

On the subject, have you all read about the week-long party Neymar is throwing in Brazil? He really is the biggest obnoxious prick in the whole sport. I could never support him, not matter how good he is at football.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Skysports reporting 40 positive covid cases in the latest round of premiership testing (includes players and staff)
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

But the evidence suggests they are invalid? Covid still spread across football, other sports and society despite tier system cos the tier system is a load of shit. And it's not just City getting positives cos they're not following the rules, tens of players have contracted covid despite the tier rules. 40 odd games in one weekend were suspended because of it.

The only thing that stops covid is a full lockdown. That's why I'm shocked footballers are still playing cos they're non essential workers. Every time you go to your workplace you're more likely to spread it than if you're sat at home doing fuck all. Footballers, and all the less well paid less privileged behind the scenes that make the games happen, aren't essential workers so why are they at work, especially when they travel so much, they're putting us and themselves at greater danger

Literally the only reason the Prem is continuing is cos a load of rich people want the product they've invested in, and the broadcasters are terrified of another financial black hole. Sky and BT have lost 1.2bn in the first lockdown.
FuB
Site Admin

But the evidence suggests they are invalid? Covid still spread across football, other sports and society despite tier system cos the tier system is a load of shit. And it's not just City getting positives cos they're not following the rules, tens of players have contracted covid despite the tier rules. 40 odd games in one weekend were suspended because of it.

The only thing that stops covid is a full lockdown. That's why I'm shocked footballers are still playing cos they're non essential workers. Every time you go to your workplace you're more likely to spread it than if you're sat at home doing fuck all. Footballers, and all the less well paid less privileged behind the scenes that make the games happen, aren't essential workers so why are they at work, especially when they travel so much, they're putting us and themselves at greater danger

Literally the only reason the Prem is continuing is cos a load of rich people want the product they've invested in, and the broadcasters are terrified of another financial black hole. Sky and BT have lost 1.2bn in the first lockdown.
I'm not talking about the tier system or any rules the government has made. I'm talking about their so called "bubbles" which ought to be far more stringent, better financed and better monitored. They're also all being tested very regularly.

Read the article i posted. It's not just City players fucking about and ignoring the risks and you can't blame the failure of the tiering system for the existence of fuckwits with more money than sense. You can't say the precautions they should be taking are invalid if they're not actually taking those precautions.
fat maradona
Legend

I don't think a lockdown works, not in our country where every other cunt believes it doesn't exist or the serverity is made up or it's China's way of controlling the world economy. Even during lockdown people are still congregating outdoors (1 + 1 = probability of spreading and mutating). A lockdown should be just that, just like what Wuhan did. Lock man up, drop off some supplies and let man out after 14 days. Not that it'll get rid of covid, as like the flu it'll 'just be there' but at least infection rates will have dropped to almost nothing.

Their could be an argument for keeping the football going is that it's good for people's mental well being. It gives fans something to look forward to, engages debate etc etc. I've only just thought of this on the spur so not sure on plausibility but people need 'something' in their lives. Much like how music festivals would gee everyone up.

Obvs the main reason is that the capitalist bastards need the money to keep coming in.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 3 years ago

I don't think a lockdown works, not in our country where every other cunt believes it doesn't exist or the serverity is made up or it's China's way of controlling the world economy. Even during lockdown people are still congregating outdoors (1 + 1 = probability of spreading and mutating). A lockdown should be just that, just like what Wuhan did. Lock man up, drop off some supplies and let man out after 14 days. Not that it'll get rid of covid, as like the flu it'll 'just be there' but at least infection rates will have dropped to almost nothing.

Their could be an argument for keeping the football going is that it's good for people's mental well being. It gives fans something to look forward to, engages debate etc etc. I've only just thought of this on the spur so not sure on plausibility but people need 'something' in their lives. Much like how music festivals would gee everyone up.

Obvs the main reason is that the capitalist bastards need the money to keep coming in.
The last lockdown did work though. It cut the infection rate to virtually zero. Now we need that while people get vaccinated so we can get on top of it.

Aye, football helps people's mental health. I'd be fucked without it if they ban it. But it's all well and good saying they should continue playing when you're not the one that has to prep the ground for a game, the soundman in the sky studio, the bus driver etc.

I don't understand how football was stopped last lockdown but not this one? What's the medical reasoning behind it carrying on now? Like you said, there int one. It's just so cunts can make money.