Not just a shit beer: Corona and football

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

FuB wrote: 3 years ago
Sid wrote: 3 years ago
Sid wrote: 3 years ago
Edfuckingwoodward wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe football is continuing. Its not just the players - the support staff involved in training and putting on games must number in the hundreds for every fixture.
I can't believe it either. Shows the power of the Prem tbf. The players won't be happy. More and more are getting covid, and if more get long covid then I think you'll see them take action. It really isn't safe. Players at clubs in tier 4, which is basically lockdown, were still catching covid cos this new variant is so easily spread.
The thing is, though, these people are all in pretty privileged situations. They don't have the same difficulties faced by people on the breadline and could tolerate a bit of hardship without even noticing it. The fact that players at City, for instance, evidently care so little for the situation and the rules imposed by the club (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55520725) is surely the sort of thing that leads to the positive results they've been hit by. A more transmissible variant of SARS-CoV-2 doesn't make the precautions they should be taking invalid; it actually makes them more vital.
But the evidence suggests they are invalid? Covid still spread across football, other sports and society despite tier system cos the tier system is a load of shit. And it's not just City getting positives cos they're not following the rules, tens of players have contracted covid despite the tier rules. 40 odd games in one weekend were suspended because of it.

The only thing that stops covid is a full lockdown. That's why I'm shocked footballers are still playing cos they're non essential workers. Every time you go to your workplace you're more likely to spread it than if you're sat at home doing fuck all. Footballers, and all the less well paid less privileged behind the scenes that make the games happen, aren't essential workers so why are they at work, especially when they travel so much, they're putting us and themselves at greater danger

Literally the only reason the Prem is continuing is cos a load of rich people want the product they've invested in, and the broadcasters are terrified of another financial black hole. Sky and BT have lost 1.2bn in the first lockdown.
I'm not talking about the tier system or any rules the government has made. I'm talking about their so called "bubbles" which ought to be far more stringent, better financed and better monitored. They're also all being tested very regularly.

Read the article i posted. It's not just City players fucking about and ignoring the risks and you can't blame the failure of the tiering system for the existence of fuckwits with more money than sense. You can't say the precautions they should be taking are invalid if they're not actually taking those precautions.
The tiering system has been exposed as bullshit. Rates were rising despite the restrictions cos of wider policy, before and after the new strains.

Totally. But individual fuckwitery alone is not responsible for the massive rise in cases. It's been proven that the biggest driver of cases isn't individuals but policy - specifically the pre-lockdown policy that says those that can't work from have to go to work rather than be furloughed. That applies to footballers, and everyone employed around them from the make up artists at Sky to the bus drivers cos they're non essential workers but still have to go to work and are thus factually more likely to spread the virus by being out and about (and traveling every weekend) than if they were sat at home.

For me you're too quick to jump on the Tory narrative of individuals being cunts rather than looking at systemic reasons, like those that can't work from home. Yes fuckwits exist but you can't say their actions alone are responsible for the rise in cases in football when we know systemic reasons play a bigger role.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

As well most of the people in football that are getting positive results are backroom staff, stadium staff, security guards etc not rich footballers flouting the rules
FuB
Site Admin

I do get a bit irritated with your immediate desire to suggest some sort of ridiculous support for Tory narrative or policies every time there's a conflict of opinion.

My only interest and guide is the science and, whether you believe it or not, the science is totally fucking clear as to how an infectious disease gets to these levels. it's an exponential process that always has to start with individuals... in the same way it was clearly individuals taking the virus out of china in the first instance.

I completely agree with your opinion that Tory policy has, way more often than not, been utterly counter-productive during this pandemic and i completely agree that they have, themselves, created the desperate plight of many individuals who simply have no choice in how they behave. However, they are not the only individuals and there are many that have wantonly flouted the rules, regardless whether the rules were effective or not.

Has it not occurred to you that rich fuckwit footballers flouting the rules are also in contact with the background staff who probably aren't... and those background staff are in contact with the stadium staff and that staff in contact with the security guards? Again, it really only takes one fuckwit to cause a cascade of cases and especially in a situation where people are probably thinking they are in a safe "bubble" which is what they are supposed to be.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Yeah cos no one likes being called a Tory. I only mention it cos it keeps being true. But tbf I've made the point now so I'll shut up.

Anyway yeah of course the non football people are coming into contact with footballers but footballers flouting the rules alone won't be the reason tens of clubs, maybe hundreds now, are getting more positives. It just won't be. In the same way non mask wearers were not entirely responsible for the rise in covid previously, not compared to policy and poverty which are the biggest factors. But regardless the whole thing would be irrelevant if footballers stopped playing all together and stayed at home, like they should.

The thing about defending social bubbles n all, I wouldn't, cos even people that stuck to em ended up spreading the virus cos depending on your tier the Tories said you could have multiple bubbles which obviously spread the virus - especially cos many of those people were forced to work, encouraged to eat out and do face to face shopping over Xmas.

On a side note do you think football should carry on? 61k infections in the UK today, 1000+ deaths. Think it's 7 days straight we've had over 50k positives.
FuB
Site Admin

Sid wrote: 3 years ago Yeah cos no one likes being called a Tory. I only mention it cos it keeps being true. But tbf I've made the point now so I'll shut up.
sorry? what keeps being true? me listening to/agreeing with the Tories? You can get fucked if that's what you meant there!
Sid wrote: 3 years ago On a side note do you think football should carry on? 61k infections in the UK today, 1000+ deaths. Think it's 7 days straight we've had over 50k positives.
well, it's not a side note, is it? it was the point of this thread...

Objectively speaking, if all those involved in football are put at more risk by football continuing then it needs to stop. Since the government have finally (and way too late, clearly) deemed it too risky for other people to go out unless they absolutely need to then I don't see why football is excluded from that. I suppose, technically, they do count as people who can't work from home but that's not really the point, is it?
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Sid wrote: 3 years ago Yeah cos no one likes being called a Tory. I only mention it cos it keeps being true. But tbf I've made the point now so I'll shut up.
sorry? what keeps being true? me listening to/agreeing with the Tories? You can get fucked if that's what you meant there!
Sid wrote: 3 years ago On a side note do you think football should carry on? 61k infections in the UK today, 1000+ deaths. Think it's 7 days straight we've had over 50k positives.
well, it's not a side note, is it? it was the point of this thread...

Objectively speaking, if all those involved in football are put at more risk by football continuing then it needs to stop. Since the government have finally (and way too late, clearly) deemed it too risky for other people to go out unless they absolutely need to then I don't see why football is excluded from that. I suppose, technically, they do count as people who can't work from home but that's not really the point, is it?
No of course not! I mean my point about policy over covidiots. I'm boring myself with that shit now so I'm shutting up.

Second point: aye, it's daft. It shows you the lobbying power of the Prem and it's associated sponsors and broadcasters IMO. Do mancs really want United travelling all over the country and going back to manchester and surrounding areas. Fuck that.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Aston Villa confirm 'significant' coronavirus outbreak at the club

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55575321
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

https://www.football365.com/news/aston- ... d-outbreak

How is this in the spirit of fair competition?
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Edfuckingwoodward wrote: 3 years ago https://www.football365.com/news/aston- ... d-outbreak

How is this in the spirit of fair competition?
This is farcical. Villa are without their entire first team, all their coaches and manager yet the game goes ahead. It's a buy for Liverpool in to the next round. Also their training ground has had to close so their fitness, sharpness, tactics etc will be unfairly impacted for their next run of games which are Spurs, Eveton and City.

The exact same thing has happened to Derby

But it gets worse, Shrewsbury also have a big covid outbreak but cos they're a small club nobody cares about they're probably gonna get kicked out of the Cup entirely, meaning Southampton go through automatically

It's ridiculous. Football should stop. A BBC article says 40 Prem players tested positive this week, double the number last week, so it's clearly spiralling out of control.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

If football continues the competitions will lose their credibility cos of clubs getting buys, losing key players and having weeks off training. There'll be a massive asterisk next to each trophy. If Liverpool win the Cup it's cos they played Villa's kids not their first team with Grealish. If Newcastle get relegated it's cos they lost their captain and best player to long covid. The clubs that didn't have training stopped have a massive advantage. The season is becoming a write off.