Page 1 of 3

Cavani

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 am
by JoelfuckingGlazer
Could be facing a ban. Same use of the word that saw Suarez banned for 8 games a few years ago. Even with it apparently being used in the context of 'banter' between friends, hard think that he won't be nailed for it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ed-striker

Re: Cavani

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:04 pm
by Sid
When do we get the t-shirts printed. Nah it's a racist term here so you can't use it. But it's different to when Suarez used it cos he was also aggressive, said he doesn't talk to n word and even pinched Evra's skin. That's a racist attack, not just use of a racist term which is what the Cavani situation is. That distinction needs to be made. And I think Suarez only got a 4 game ban for the racist term, and they doubled it cos he was aggressive, so that needs to be acknowledged cos that's the precedence the FA has set. But knowing them they'll ignore all that and just pull some number out of their arse.

That's what I think anyway

Re: Cavani

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:10 pm
by swampash
Fucking idiot either way. Disappointing, especially after such a performance.
Footballers. What planet do they think they like on.

Re: Cavani

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:31 am
by dozer
He did the right thing. He apologised immediately and so did the club.
Also the context was clear that it was light hearted and it seemed obvious he wasn't aware of the problem with the term outside Uruguay.
Suarez might also have been unaware but he continued his attack on Evra and didn't apologize or back down. Club printed t shirts.
So I think the punishment could be a fine at best.

But the FA chairman had to step down because he used a term so who knows.

Re: Cavani

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:09 am
by JoelfuckingGlazer
Intent and context should be the determining factor. Easy to look and judge, but different cultures use different language and engage differently.

I think both he and the club have reacted in exactly the right way.

To my mind, the best thing the FA could do - and I'm not saying this because he's a United player - but rather than ban him, emphasise the need to educate and align between different cultures. Launch a programme whereby any footballer moving into this country has some sort of 'awareness' training. There's probably a better way to describe it, but my point is that if this issue is predominantly caused by cultural misunderstanding, then a ban won't really have much of an effect going forward. Punitive measures should be applied for malicious or negligent acts. Genuine mistakes should be approached differently.

Re: Cavani

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:36 am
by fat maradona
Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
6 months ago
Intent and context should be the determining factor. Easy to look and judge, but different cultures use different language and engage differently.

I think both he and the club have reacted in exactly the right way.

To my mind, the best thing the FA could do - and I'm not saying this because he's a United player - but rather than ban him, emphasise the need to educate and align between different cultures. Launch a programme whereby any footballer moving into this country has some sort of 'awareness' training. There's probably a better way to describe it, but my point is that if this issue is predominantly caused by cultural misunderstanding, then a ban won't really have much of an effect going forward. Punitive measures should be applied for malicious or negligent acts. Genuine mistakes should be approached differently.
With us being multi-cultural, and all that jazz. doesn't the need to educate and align kind of contradict that? The issue isn't with the use of words, it's the intent. Rappers call each other the n word but there's no uproar or rioting because there wasn't any bad intent. I think people are too easily offended, too busy virtue signalling that they aren't racist.

Re: Cavani

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:10 am
by Sid
Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
6 months ago
Intent and context should be the determining factor. Easy to look and judge, but different cultures use different language and engage differently.

I think both he and the club have reacted in exactly the right way.

To my mind, the best thing the FA could do - and I'm not saying this because he's a United player - but rather than ban him, emphasise the need to educate and align between different cultures. Launch a programme whereby any footballer moving into this country has some sort of 'awareness' training. There's probably a better way to describe it, but my point is that if this issue is predominantly caused by cultural misunderstanding, then a ban won't really have much of an effect going forward. Punitive measures should be applied for malicious or negligent acts. Genuine mistakes should be approached differently.
Yeah education is key cos he thinks that word is fine in Britain when it isn't. The gov probably aren't gonna pay for it, being right wing as fuck and led by Boris Johnson whose list of racist language is very long. But United should sit em down and explain some of the basics, especially after Evra was attacked.

Re: Cavani

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:35 pm
by swampash
I’m sorry but what planet do you have to live on to realize such language isn’t acceptable?
His nationality is no excuse.
It’s simply not acceptable.

Re: Cavani

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:05 pm
by fat maradona
swampash wrote:
6 months ago
I’m sorry but what planet do you have to live on to realize such language isn’t acceptable?
His nationality is no excuse.
It’s simply not acceptable.
Seriously? Words are just words, it's the intent that counts. What, am I supposed to be careful how I say Negroni next time I order my favourite drink? I could say the word in a malicious snide manner, fully intending to be a racist cunt but it's actually not an offensive word.

My parents, and three generations before them, are East African Indians. They use words and phrases which make me cringe but they aren't racist. But those things are unique to that part of the world, those generations that lived there. You can't expect the whole world to confirm just because #blm.

Re: Cavani

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:53 pm
by Sid
fat maradona wrote:
6 months ago
swampash wrote:
6 months ago
I’m sorry but what planet do you have to live on to realize such language isn’t acceptable?
His nationality is no excuse.
It’s simply not acceptable.
Seriously? Words are just words, it's the intent that counts. What, am I supposed to be careful how I say Negroni next time I order my favourite drink? I could say the word in a malicious snide manner, fully intending to be a racist cunt but it's actually not an offensive word.

My parents, and three generations before them, are East African Indians. They use words and phrases which make me cringe but they aren't racist. But those things are unique to that part of the world, those generations that lived there. You can't expect the whole world to confirm just because #blm.
Would you use the n word in a friendly way when ordering your drink from a black waiter?

I think you've been exposed to some right wing propaganda, fatty