Title race

Manchester United chat
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

6 months ago

We're not ready. We're sneaking games - albeit we're doing it consistently. We lack the mentality right now, as well as the quality in a couple of positions. Being in a proper title race will be good for the development of the side, but we're still a couple of players short. Appreciate the implications of Covid from a financial perspective, but if we were able to find a way to go and get someone like Grealish this month, it meant give us that bit extra to actually win the bloody things.

City the favourites, without a doubt. We do have a decent run of fixtures coming up though....
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
6 months ago
dozer wrote:
6 months ago
The fact that Leicester are competing means that it's a case of the top teams I.e pool and city underachieving rather than the others getting better.
You do Leicester a disservice, they've been in the mix for a couple of seasons and have a decent team and a decent manager. But you're right, Liverpool and City are/have been underachieving this season. Proof of that is we are top! We are nowhere near good enough to be top 3 but here we are.
I don't think Liverpool are underachieving, I think it's more a case of that team nearing the end of the 4 year cycle. The squad needs freshening up. The team is still very similar to the one that lost to Madrid in the CL final 3 seasons ago. They'll still be great for a while yet but that's cos they have a long way to fall.

For me it's whether Klopp wants to rebuild or whether he wants a new challenge. He might have to do it without Salah who looks Barca bound as their replacement for Messi, that is unless Klopp follows him to Barca.
fat maradona
Legend

6 months ago

Sid wrote:
6 months ago
fat maradona wrote:
6 months ago
dozer wrote:
6 months ago
The fact that Leicester are competing means that it's a case of the top teams I.e pool and city underachieving rather than the others getting better.
You do Leicester a disservice, they've been in the mix for a couple of seasons and have a decent team and a decent manager. But you're right, Liverpool and City are/have been underachieving this season. Proof of that is we are top! We are nowhere near good enough to be top 3 but here we are.
I don't think Liverpool are underachieving, I think it's more a case of that team nearing the end of the 4 year cycle. The squad needs freshening up. The team is still very similar to the one that lost to Madrid in the CL final 3 seasons ago. They'll still be great for a while yet but that's cos they have a long way to fall.

For me it's whether Klopp wants to rebuild or whether he wants a new challenge. He might have to do it without Salah who looks Barca bound as their replacement for Messi, that is unless Klopp follows him to Barca.
I can't see him leaving tbh, it just depends on how much money he gets to invest. He's got a canny eye for a decent player but he can also make the odd blunder like Keita and letting Brewster go so that Origi can play is a weird decision.

As Ed says above, being in this title 'race' will be great for our team, it'll give them the experience that none of em have had before. But we will still be transitioning for a while, way after Pogba has left.

I don't see any benefit in Grealish, he won't get picked to start. And he'll cost us upwards of £100m.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

6 months ago

On Liverpool - lets be honest, their level of consistency last season was a freak. However good a side is, its nigh on impossible to maintain that level of consistency.

Added to which, I can't remember them having many injury issues last season. The odd player maybe, but their full backs, Van Dijk, Henderson and front 3 played every single week.
jason_uk
Star Man

6 months ago

Just announced, both vardy and kdb will be out (vardy few weeks - kdb 4 to 6)

Probably each clubs biggest game changer..
Will be interesting to see if it leads to either of them dropping points.
dozer
Legend

6 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
6 months ago
dozer wrote:
6 months ago
Well we're easily top 3 quality, just not top 2.
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

jason_uk wrote:
6 months ago
Just announced, both vardy and kdb will be out (vardy few weeks - kdb 4 to 6)

Probably each clubs biggest game changer..
Will be interesting to see if it leads to either of them dropping points.
Definitely. Who stays fit and who doesn't is gonna be the deciding factor as to who wins the league IMO. We've been lucky with injuries and covid. Ole deserves credit too for managing the squad well. If it carries on like this we're definitely in with a shout.
bman2
Legend

6 months ago

The top teams aren’t as good as they have been in previous years, but there’s also a good number of teams that will give you a good game, like Villa. The teams at the very bottom of the table are hopeless, but other than that it’s quite a tough league.
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

Just read De Bruyne will miss the United game cos of his hamstring injury. I think we're favourites for the title at this moment. City will drop points without him.
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

Tuchel to take over at Chelsea. They will be a threat now they have a proper manager rather than a privately educated PE teacher. They might have a surge for the title.