Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago Our incoming transfers are still always really obvious big names that any fan on a forum could suggest. And we have a good shot at landing them if they’re available because how well we pay. Whenever we sign someone who is even a little bit less high profile — Beek, Fred, James etc — they don’t fit into the team at all. Honestly the club might as well let supporters publicly vote online for who we sign.
Alexis Sanchez, Di Maria, Falcao... They would have won the fan votes at the time
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Out of this era United are the only top club to have not won a major trophy. City multiple leagues, Liverpool CL and a league, Chelsea a CL.

We're the only ones left. This season and next represent our best chance. If it doesn't happen, after the colossal amount of money spent, then the the lot should be sacked

Cos even though the squad is undoubtedly better than under the last bloke in terms of quality, it all means jack if we don't win a major honour.
bman2
Legend

brianofnazarethffs wrote: 2 years ago
bman2 wrote: 2 years ago
brianofnazarethffs wrote: 2 years ago Cleary unbalanced but no doubt about the world class talent added. Big pressure on Ole.
Yeah it’s mad. We’ve spent £500M under Ole, which I think might be more than any other club out there. But none of it has gone to midfield.
Bruno and VDB play in the middle mate 👍🏼
Not really. Ole is playing Bruno as a pure ten in the Mesut Ozil style. He has basically been doing nothing out of possession. Ole seems to think Beek is a sub for the same role, as far anyone can tell.
bman2
Legend

Interestingly there is a lot of speculation that ronnie’s arrival will put pressure on Bruno. He doesn’t get much playtime with the Portuguese team because the manager thinks he doesn’t work well with Ronnie.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago Interestingly there is a lot of speculation that ronnie’s arrival will put pressure on Bruno. He doesn’t get much playtime with the Portuguese team because the manager thinks he doesn’t work well with Ronnie.
Yeah Bruno and Ron is a shit combo. It'll be interesting to see if Old can make it work. It has to tbf.
bman2
Legend

I did notice before that Bruno doesn’t get a lot of starts for Portugal. Not sure what the logic is exactly.
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago I did notice before that Bruno doesn’t get a lot of starts for Portugal. Not sure what the logic is exactly.
He did start but he was terrible in the euros. He was then dropped.
bman2
Legend

Oh ok. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t give much credence to that stuff. Plenty of players are great for their clubs but don’t feature much for their national teams (and the opposite).

I’m just saying I’ve detected a clear talking point along the pundits that Ron and Bruno can’t okay together; I keenhearong it on podcast. There’s probably/definitely some anti-united bias on there. They’ll hate it if Ron is ace for us.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Cristiano Ronaldo hero worship does not mask Manchester United’s flaws

Returning star gave fans their money’s worth in 4-1 win over Newcastle but club would have been wiser investing in midfield

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... dApp_Other
dozer
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago Cristiano Ronaldo hero worship does not mask Manchester United’s flaws

Returning star gave fans their money’s worth in 4-1 win over Newcastle but club would have been wiser investing in midfield

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... dApp_Other
Not the Ronaldo money. The Sancho money though, definitely. Should have been invested in midfield or even right back. Pogba did get an assist though and he was quite good. Ronaldo starting up front will force opposition defenders to play deeper so perhaps we can get away with just one holding midfielder.