Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
Jason
Star Man

FuB wrote: 2 years ago
Sid wrote: 2 years ago
sheesh wrote: 2 years ago https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58480332

What a fuck up. We offered Lingard a new deal?
I don't get this. He rejected a new deal cos he won't play now Ronnie's here. But then turned down offers to leave?
His contract runs out at the end of the season so he's doing the same as Pogba... let it run down for a free and big pay day.
Difference is at least Pogba knows he'll get to play matches. I didn't even realise Lingard's deal is up in the summer. Did he refuse to leave when Utd and West Ham had agreed a deal? Or were we holding out for more cash?

Pretty poor on Jesses side if he did block a move away, knowing he'll be sat on the bench for a year, compared to playing week in week out at a club like west ham. If that's the case says a lot about him.
bman2
Legend

jason_uk wrote: 2 years ago

I don't get this. He rejected a new deal cos he won't play now Ronnie's here. But then turned down offers to leave?
His contract runs out at the end of the season so he's doing the same as Pogba... let it run down for a free and big pay day.
Difference is at least Pogba knows he'll get to play matches. I didn't even realise Lingard's deal is up in the summer. Did he refuse to leave when Utd and West Ham had agreed a deal? Or were we holding out for more cash?

Pretty poor on Jesses side if he did block a move away, knowing he'll be sat on the bench for a year, compared to playing week in week out at a club like west ham. If that's the case says a lot about him.
It makes sense for Lingard: he’ll maximize his options and his income. Seems like a cock up by the club though. They’ll never admit it, but having all these sellable assets like Pogba and Lingard walk away for nothing will take a bite out of our future transfer budgets.
swampash
Legend

Bonkers but typical mismanagement.
fat maradona
Legend

He rejected West Ham in the summer to play for United and then rejected a new contract. Phil Jones has set a shining example to all players.....football isn't about football anymore, it's about how much money you can make. Perhaps Phil will become famous for the 'the Jones Ruling'.
Jason
Star Man

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago
jason_uk wrote: 2 years ago

It makes sense for Lingard: he’ll maximize his options and his income. Seems like a cock up by the club though. They’ll never admit it, but having all these sellable assets like Pogba and Lingard walk away for nothing will take a bite out of our future transfer budgets.
Makes sense from what perspective? A purely financial one, sure, but he is 28 turning 29, and has already made a fortune from football.

Does he really need an extra few 100k when he has millions in the bank, when he could have moved this summer, got a good deal/signing on, and actually played football this year, rather than waste another season when he is at his peak age.

I can understand with someone like Pogba, sure, run it down, but you know you are still going to be playing most weeks.
bman2
Legend

He must think he’ll get decent playing time. If he doesn’t he’s probably fucked up big time. But yeah, West Ham clearly valued him, they’re a competitive club and they’re in the Europa, so it wasn’t a bad option at all.
sheesh
Legend

Again, I ask the question: why was the club even offering Lingard a contract?

Am I missing something here? I don''t get it.

We're in desperate need of a midfielder, apparently need to sell to buy, yet we're offering the deadwood contract extensions. I don't believe this has anything to do with wanting to preserve his value either.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

sheesh wrote: 2 years ago Again, I ask the question: why was the club even offering Lingard a contract?

Am I missing something here? I don''t get it.

We're in desperate need of a midfielder, apparently need to sell to buy, yet we're offering the deadwood contract extensions. I don't believe this has anything to do with wanting to preserve his value either.
Maybe Ed is still in charge of contracts. He gave Smalling a new deal days before Jose was sacked, and Jones a new deal when we didn't have a permanent manager. It smacks of his kind of fuck up.
bman2
Legend

Our incoming transfers are still always really obvious big names that any fan on a forum could suggest. And we have a good shot at landing them if they’re available because how well we pay. Whenever we sign someone who is even a little bit less high profile — Beek, Fred, James etc — they don’t fit into the team at all. Honestly the club might as well let supporters publicly vote online for who we sign.
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago
brianofnazarethffs wrote: 2 years ago Cleary unbalanced but no doubt about the world class talent added. Big pressure on Ole.
Yeah it’s mad. We’ve spent £500M under Ole, which I think might be more than any other club out there. But none of it has gone to midfield.
Bruno and VDB play in the middle mate 👍🏼
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts