will we ever see the best of shinji matawa

Manchester United chat
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

7 years ago

he scored 20 odd and dozens of bent assists last season and was probably in the top two or three players in the league

will we ever see that
lkhm

hoofing
Lazarus
Legend

7 years ago

Not under Moyes……
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

7 years ago

I think Mata, Rooney and Kagawa could be an awesome 3 behind a top striker... if allowed to play with freedom...

Not going to happen under Moyes
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Neil
First Teamer

7 years ago

We have one of the best collections of creative attacking players of any club: Januzaj, Rooney, Mata and Kagawa.

These 4 players' attributes and qualities compare favourably with a like-for-like selection from the squads of some of the top clubs in Europe. Conversely, we are playing some of the worst football of any "top" club in Europe, our patterns of passing and tactical positions imposed on the players don't make any sense and we absolutely are not seeing anywhere near the best of our players. Most of their potential is being crushed right now.

Put it this way, what would a decent coach do with our guys... Barcelona would have a midfield three of Busquets, Januzaj and Kagawa. They would be deployed centrally and trained to press the ball, control possession in the most important area of the pitch, and transition quickly towards the front players when attacking.

Mata and Rooney would probably be deployed in the front three. Januzaj could be swapped with Mata in theory but many would say Mata is more of a goal threat so in that case having him furthest forward makes sense.

Klopp would probably set up with two central midfielders then with 3 from our bunch of 4 players in behind a main striker.

We aren't likely to see any of this under Moyes, it seems to make him fundamentally uncomfortable to put trust into too many risk-taking or flair players. He is a small-minded manager whose mentality has never gone past midtable football, where it is adequate more often than not to have a team full of steady, hard working players, playing percentage football.

How many coaches can you guys think of that totally changed their football style/philosophy after they were older than 50? I fear that Moyes is stuck in his ways and is more likely to be sacked first before making significant changes to playing style.
Sid
Legend

7 years ago

Who teaches managers? Who do they learn from? No one, because they're in charge. So how is Moyes going to change his approach? It makes no sense
Twisted Blood
First Teamer

7 years ago

Shinji will never displace Mata but I like the idea of him in a midfield 3 with a holder and Carrick. I like to think he's too good to sell and Mata needs a backup. But he's also the only guy with any value. The champions league games coming up will tell with Mata cup tied.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

7 years ago

the medium term future should probably be mata off wayne tbf
lkhm

hoofing
RedManc
Youth Teamer

7 years ago

Not in a United Shirt.
Pikey McScum
Legend

7 years ago

One of the few players who ever left the club that I'm genuinely sad to see leave.

We never got to see him at his best because (in my opinion) of the following factors: Rooney, Ferguson, Moyes & Mata.

Good luck to him
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
lars072
Legend

7 years ago

Pikey McScum wrote:One of the few players who ever left the club that I'm genuinely sad to see leave.

We never got to see him at his best because (in my opinion) of the following factors: Rooney, Ferguson, Moyes & Mata.

Good luck to him
He's better off in Dortmund with Klopp anyways.