Expectations this season (21/22)

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Title race or title win?

If City don't get Kane I think we have to have a really good fucking go at the title. De Bruyne is falling to pieces too. He has another knock, and is still dealing with the fractured skull / eye socket, and ankle ligament damage he sustained at the euros.

Tuchel is top manager, and the new & improved Lukaku gives Chelsea 25 goals a season. Liverpool's ageing squad might still have another run in em.

But I fancy us
dozer
Legend

Hmm Lukaku still can't trap a bag of cement. Those usual jokes apply.
I'll be very surprised if he does well.

Tbf I did say he did pretty well at United, but no one wanted him here. And rightly so. He wasn't a top top player.
bman2
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago Hmm Lukaku still can't trap a bag of cement. Those usual jokes apply.
I'll be very surprised if he does well.

Tbf I did say he did pretty well at United, but no one wanted him here. And rightly so. He wasn't a top top player.
He didn’t fit in with his Belgian temperament.
bman2
Legend

My expectation is a good league finish, no top four squeaky bum stuff, and also a good run deep in the Champo, quarters at least. I’m not fussed about smaller pots.

I’m encouraged by the first game. The performance more than the result. We had good early results in Jose’s second season, but you could tell we were blowing teams away in the last ten minutes because of our aggressive fitness program, and that soon dries up. Likewise, was it last season or the one before when we had that good win against Chelsea. But you could tell we’d been lucky and they’d been unlucky.

In contrast, it’s only one game, but we looked assured and confident.

The squad is huge. The competition for spots hopefully keeps everyone sharp and high performing. I don’t expect us to win the title, but I don’t think that’s a crazy hope either. We look pretty close.
swampash
Legend

If last week's game was anything to go by, then I agree we should be in the title race this season. The game today should show whether it was a fluke or set a pattern for how we will play this season.
You can't rule City out, but I don't think they will be as dominant this year, even if they do land Kane. I suspect Chelsea will mount a real threat this season, though I too am not sure Lukaku adds that much. Havertz is more likely to shape where Chelsea end this season.
sheesh
Legend

We won't win the league, irrespective of whether or not City get Kane. We still need a centre mid and haven't got rid of the deadwood. Even if those issues were resolved, can anyone see us winning a championship under Ole? He did well last season but winning the league is something else.
swampash
Legend

After today’s dismal show I have to agree we don’t look up to it.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Yeah I've had a reality check. Varane will add quality and allow us to play more aggressively. But the midfield is still a huge problem and will prevent us from playing the football we want to play.

Playing a double pivot of Matic and Fred is as old fashioned, ill fitting and depressing as Fellaini up front. I struggle to see how in 2021 we're still doing it. How many windows has Ole had
bman2
Legend

We used to complain about how shit our midfield options were in SAF’s last few years. But it’s much worse now, with something like £400M spent just under Ole (so not even including Pogba, Fred, Matic — who all started).

The only positive development in how we play is Pogba playing higher up the pitch, and he’s doing great there. But then where is Ole going to play Sancho and the others — Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford, Bruno… ?
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago We used to complain about how shit our midfield options were in SAF’s last few years. But it’s much worse now, with something like £400M spent just under Ole (so not even including Pogba, Fred, Matic — who all started).

The only positive development in how we play is Pogba playing higher up the pitch, and he’s doing great there. But then where is Ole going to play Sancho and the others — Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford, Bruno… ?
Cavani, Sancho on the left, Bruno and Greenwood should be our front 4.