Expectations this season (21/22)

Manchester United chat
fat maradona
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago
bman2 wrote: 2 years ago We used to complain about how shit our midfield options were in SAF’s last few years. But it’s much worse now, with something like £400M spent just under Ole (so not even including Pogba, Fred, Matic — who all started).

The only positive development in how we play is Pogba playing higher up the pitch, and he’s doing great there. But then where is Ole going to play Sancho and the others — Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford, Bruno… ?
Cavani, Sancho on the left, Bruno and Greenwood should be our front 4.
About our best option tbh, I don't think Martial can be trusted and Dr Rashford is not back for months.

Re my opinion on expectations, until we sort out Fred and Matic then we haven't got a hope of winning the league. We are just about good for top 4 if Sancho & Varane settle quickly. Maguire looked clumsy as fuck yesterday and AWB was his usual stooopid self.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

With crowds back in, matches will have more intensity and teams will have a bit more of an edge in their press, which is why we'll struggle in games like yesterday.

Top is the best we can hope for.
swampash
Legend

I’d prefer Sancho on the right and Greenwood through the middle, dozer.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago With crowds back in, matches will have more intensity and teams will have a bit more of an edge in their press, which is why we'll struggle in games like yesterday.

Top is the best we can hope for.
Aye, and the fact teams have time to train and prep for games now, unlike last season when they mostly just rested cos of the condensed season.

We're going to face an intense press every week and the midfielders we have, other than Pog, aren't up to it.
dozer
Legend

swampash wrote: 2 years ago I’d prefer Sancho on the right and Greenwood through the middle, dozer.
He could be a top forward, regardless of his shit heading skills but the problem is this means Rashford or Martial play on the left.

Ole will play himself out of a job. He's still persisting with Martial, Fred and Mct. Wan bissaka too maybe. I don't expect Lindelof to play tbf to Ole. He'll start Varane soon.

I guess every manager has this problem. Pep tried to play Jesus over Aguero for ages :))

If bman were the manager he'd have played Lindelof forever I guess. Everyone has their blind spots.

These shit players will outlast their managers usually.
swampash
Legend

Lindelof has looked his best when not partnering Hercules. I'd give him a try at CB.
bman2
Legend

The sad reality is that four years in, our defence and midfield are still a shambles. Which surely means the manager doesn’t know what he’s doing. The only clear playing style we have is sitting deep and counterattacking, which is what Jose instilled in the team. So all these years later, Ole is basically coasting on Jose’s work. Given that few of us even wanted Jose’s style of football at the club, that’s pretty depressing.

As a point of comparison: Tuchel came in and turned Chelsea’s defence around completely. Their defending was terrible, and now it’s great. And that’s without any signings and worse CB options than we have.
bman2
Legend

swampash wrote: 2 years ago Lindelof has looked his best when not partnering Hercules. I'd give him a try at CB.
Hercules makes the players around him look bad — Lindelof, Matic, etc. Once you get out of the former England player commentary bubble, everyone else can see it. He’s a good player for a team like Leicester or West Ham, because he’s a good defensive presence in the box. But beyond that, he’s just too fucking immobile. He is a good passer though.
bman2
Legend

Now the club is briefing journalists that we’re talking to Haaland about next summer. It’s so easy to see through their PR bullshit. Our window is over, even though there are plenty of good players going cheap. No serious title run. Sancho was bought to sell shirts, it’s bloody obvious. The last thing we needed was yet another right footed sort of winger. He might be better than what we have, but the attack is ok, while the midfield is simply shit.
bman2
Legend

Kane is staying at Spurs. It’ll be interesting to see if City gets someone else.

Could help Spurs get top four, grinding out 1-0 wins all season.