Viva Ronaldo - He’s back.

Manchester United chat
fat maradona
Legend

yeh, so he'll be 37 soon and yeh, it doesn't make sense but seriously, if you can't get excited by this then there's nowt all else. Don't expect any of those long range net busters nor the thrusting runs, Ronnie's become the master of the 6 yard box. What we will get from him is a cunt who can score and he'll be a ruthless cunt an' all. Add in a proper DM and maybe a RW and we are serious challengers on all fronts. And what about that winners mentality he'll bring to the dressing room? We haven't had anyone with that mentality since Rooney maybe and even then he was fading badly. Probably Keano was the last man at the club with the winners mentality,.
bman2
Legend

I saw someone suggest that Ronaldo take the number 21, as a statement of intent.

The club’s supporters need to storm Old Trafford more often!
bman2
Legend

With Pogba, Bruno, and Sancho providing service to him, Ronnie could be a fucking machine. Three of the best creators/assisters in the game.
OliverB
Reserves

A lot of United fans are saying 'he's not as good as he was' blah blah... I call any player who can get 20 a season a good player.

There is a difference between Ronaldo and other players over 33, look at his body, he's a fitness nut, it's not just his skills on the ball that made him who he is, it's the work he puts into his body and his desire to be the best, you can just tell that in a Zlatan ego way he will want to be the best for as long as possible and show that even at his old age he can still do things better than the younger superstars in the league.

He's an unexpected signing for sure although when he started being linked with City strongly on Tuesday it crossed my mind that agents were probably trying to engineer a move to United because I just couldn't see him realistically signing for them.

I'm gutted City didn't sign Messi as it would have been awesome to have Messi and Ronaldo competing in the Premier League even at their ages.
;)
bman2
Legend

OliverB wrote: 2 years ago A lot of United fans are saying 'he's not as good as he was' blah blah... I call any player who can get 20 a season a good player.

There is a difference between Ronaldo and other players over 33, look at his body, he's a fitness nut, it's not just his skills on the ball that made him who he is, it's the work he puts into his body and his desire to be the best, you can just tell that in a Zlatan ego way he will want to be the best for as long as possible and show that even at his old age he can still do things better than the younger superstars in the league.

He's an unexpected signing for sure although when he started being linked with City strongly on Tuesday it crossed my mind that agents were probably trying to engineer a move to United because I just couldn't see him realistically signing for them.

I'm gutted City didn't sign Messi as it would have been awesome to have Messi and Ronaldo competing in the Premier League even at their ages.
I think you’re right. Ronaldo right now is similar to Haaland but a bit better. Obviously one is one the way up and the other on the way down, but for a year or two at least, he’s a top class goal scorer.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

The Back 4 looks sorted, the attacking side looks sorted. But if we continue with Fred and McTominay in midfield, we ain’t winning anything.
fat maradona
Legend

having had the night to think about it, I don't think CR7 coming back is a good idea tbh. I think we've signed him just for marketing purposes and so that City didn't get him, as that would have been doubly worse. He'll bang in a fuck load of goals but I think the Juve team regressed with him, they had to change systems and sideline younger players to fit Ronnie into their side. He was bought to win them the CL but they didn't get far in the comp. Hopefully the upsides of Ronnie coming back, like the dressing room winning mentality and the younger lads like Sancho, Greenwood, Shoretire, Elanga et al all learn from the GOAT outweigh the downsides like less playing time and a reliance on just scoring goals. I think his stats for Juve were all about scoring goals, as he did pretty much fuck all pressing and chasing.

The more I think about it, the more it's another Woodward signing,
bman2
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 2 years ago having had the night to think about it, I don't think CR7 coming back is a good idea tbh. I think we've signed him just for marketing purposes and so that City didn't get him, as that would have been doubly worse. He'll bang in a fuck load of goals but I think the Juve team regressed with him, they had to change systems and sideline younger players to fit Ronnie into their side. He was bought to win them the CL but they didn't get far in the comp. Hopefully the upsides of Ronnie coming back, like the dressing room winning mentality and the younger lads like Sancho, Greenwood, Shoretire, Elanga et al all learn from the GOAT outweigh the downsides like less playing time and a reliance on just scoring goals. I think his stats for Juve were all about scoring goals, as he did pretty much fuck all pressing and chasing.

Did you read the Wilson piece in the Guardian? Made exactly that argument. I think the Glazers definitely decided to go in for him at the last minute because him going to City would have been a massive stink, especially right after the supporters’ protests in the spring. And financially I think it was a fairly easy decision because he’ll make the club as much as it pays him.

But it might not backfire. It has a lot of the signs of a classic Woodward galactic signing, but it’s a bit different too. I’m hoping the energy and intensity he brings will have a good effect on the whole squad. It might actually be what we need, because I feel like Ole’s rebuild is starting to drift a little bit. We’ve brought in some good players, the squad is strong, but it also feels like we’re still not at the level of our closest competitors. This might help us get to that level just by rising the collective intensity.

And yeah he’ll do nothing but score goals. I think we can work with that. If you replace Martial with him, for example, you’re losing nothing and potentially gaining a fuckload. Ronnie instead of Martial against Southampton, we probably win 2-1 or 3-1.
bman2
Legend

I suppose I like that Ronaldo gets us out of the never ending project mentality. He wants to win big pots, now.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 2 years ago having had the night to think about it, I don't think CR7 coming back is a good idea tbh. I think we've signed him just for marketing purposes and so that City didn't get him, as that would have been doubly worse. He'll bang in a fuck load of goals but I think the Juve team regressed with him, they had to change systems and sideline younger players to fit Ronnie into their side. He was bought to win them the CL but they didn't get far in the comp. Hopefully the upsides of Ronnie coming back, like the dressing room winning mentality and the younger lads like Sancho, Greenwood, Shoretire, Elanga et al all learn from the GOAT outweigh the downsides like less playing time and a reliance on just scoring goals. I think his stats for Juve were all about scoring goals, as he did pretty much fuck all pressing and chasing.

It is a Woodward signing, aye. This was the thinking amongst a lot of United fans in the past when we were linked with him, and many thought we should look to the future rather than the past. He's a lot older now, and although he's super fit, he still plants himself up front Ibra style and doesn't do much running - and more importantly, pressing. It was that that really impacted Juve's football.

When you have an old CF up front, you have to have a functioning team behind them to do the creative work for them to finish off. That was the problem with Mourinho and Ibra, we didn't have the functioning team behind him. And we have a really unbalanced team now.

But I don't think it's a bad signing per se. It just doesn't solve any problems, so I'm not sure how it works in reality. Against Southampton, Ronaldo walks about a lot with his hands on his hips while Fred and Matic fail to make the link to attack, and keep landing us in trouble.

Here's an article on the reality of Ron at Juve https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... see-in-him