Erik Ten Hag

Manchester United chat
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Yeah I like him.

He's the first manager since Fergie, where there's a genuine basis for investing our time and patience.

Moyes - OK, you could say maybe he could have justifiably wanted more time, but he had no CV that suggested he could be a top manager.
Van Gall - Never a long term solution
Mourinho - Never stays anywhere more than 3 years. That was seen as a 'needs must' appointment.
Ole - Initially an interim, there was always a sense of him being on borrowed time.

Now, finally, we have someone who's worth getting behind and giving time. Knows how to win, attractive playing style, believes in youth, has some steel and authority about him.

But he needs backing properly. No half measures. He needs to reset the culture and establish some discipline, which may mean a couple of big calls. He has to be backed to make those calls.
sheesh
Legend

From what I've read about him, he can be quite obsessive about detail, which is great.

I think he'll have to be diplomatic in his answers to the media when talking about players. We saw a bit of that today when he was talking about Maguire.
bman2
Legend

I like Ten Hag too. But this is still Glazer United, so I’m not going to get my hopes up. We’ve had so many years of shit signings that they’re starting to walk away as a free agents now. Plenty of reports of players turning us down. It sounds like TH is basically pleading with de Jong to join us and he still hasn’t been convinced.

I think we’re watching the slow death of the club tbh.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

This is great. It's a public training session so usually more of a PR thing than serious training. But no one's told Hag that, he's busting their balls so hard :))

It'll be a huge cultural shift for the players to have the manager on the training pitch, leading every drill so passionately and intensely - a far cry from Ole who let them do what they wanted

Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Won't be long before the players are briefing against Ten Hag like they did Rangnick
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

One touch drills. Preparing em for quick one touch football.

OliverB
Reserves

Sid wrote: 1 year ago Won't be long before the players are briefing against Ten Hag like they did Rangnick
This is what worries me, there are far too many players in our squad who were more than happy to down tools and underperform for more than one ex manager. if your squad has a majority of players who are willing to do that then you have massive problems until you've cleared it out of the squad.

The problem for a manager is... keeping your job long enough for to get rid of those players... what makes that hard? the fact we give huge wages out (often to players who haven't justified it) and other clubs can't afford to match that money for an average player thus meaning we are stuck with many until their contracts run down.

I won't name names but there are plenty of players in this squad who are on top 5 club wages yet in terms of ability are just above mid table club.
;)
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

"It is a process" repeated many times. Sound familiar?

bman2
Legend

His comments on transfers are also beginning to sound a bit “nae value in the market”. Prepping us for no midfield signings.

The simple truth is that United is a big club, but it’s no longer a top club.
fat maradona
Legend

ffs, if the club buys what it wants without asking the manager then as fans we have an issue. And if the club 100% backs what the manager wants and we don't sign anyone then as fans we have an issue.

ETH has stated that he has a vision for how he wants us to play and he has earmarked players who will fit the system. The De Jong saga is pissing me off as much as the next man but if that's who ETH wants and we believe in ETH, then we just need to go with it...