Manchester United chat
marlon
Legend

Delaney going out on a limb here:

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1959993/man ... entre-back

We want a CB, wing back, CM and a forward. Every position then
bman2
Legend

If LVG is serious about this 3-4-1-2 business as our default formation, surely the following transfers are essential:

1. A ball-playing and dominant CB, Hummels being the ideal. This formation looked a bit toothless at times with the Dutch, but Vlaar and Indi offered nothing going forward (though Vlaar defended brilliantly). Jones + Hummels + Evans looks a very tantalizing prospect for three at the back: if we don't have CBs who can pass or move forward (like Jones), that's three whole players contributing nothing when we have possession.
2. A left wing or wing-back: unless we're just going to run Shaw into the ground like we did Evra, relying totally on a teenager. What if he's injured? The whole thing breaks down a bit then. Turan at Atletico would make a lot of sense, seems like he could be a good wing-back as well as just a winger if we shift to 4 at the back.
3. A bit of magic on the right wouldn't go amiss, but I wouldn't call this essential.
4. Central midfield — obviously. If Strootman is back in training already, then perhaps we might make a push for him this summer, instead of waiting to Jan or next summer. One of him or Vidal seems essential, but fuck it why not both? Vidal and Strootman are both types who could help out in the CB positions if need be too.
swampash
Legend

ichiro wrote:Not sure Hummels is for us. Seems to lack a bit of pace? In the World Cup final it was clearly Boateng who was the best defender on the pitch. Hummels looked clumsy by comparison.

Vermaelen and Blind could be got for a decent price and would suit us better.
Clumsy? Think you must have had a beer or three too many when you watched him. He reads the game well and steps in at the right moment. Agree about Boateng though. Thought he really shone in the WC.
lars072
Star Man

Woodworm should put his money where his mouth is or just shut his pie hole. We have money and try to bring in the best players...BS! He's a walking contradiction
dozer
Legend

swampash wrote:
ichiro wrote:Not sure Hummels is for us. Seems to lack a bit of pace? In the World Cup final it was clearly Boateng who was the best defender on the pitch. Hummels looked clumsy by comparison.

Vermaelen and Blind could be got for a decent price and would suit us better.
Clumsy? Think you must have had a beer or three too many when you watched him. He reads the game well and steps in at the right moment. Agree about Boateng though. Thought he really shone in the WC.
Vermaelen is shit and can't defend. Let Barca have him.
I'd be happy with Blind - he's a midfielder who can play as a left back and in the centre of defence.
But tbh the link with these Dutch players is only because of the dutch connection, there are no concrete rumours.
dozer
Legend

So Bebe's finally gone to Benfica, I hear it's 1m. It's a bit low considering the season he had last year tbf although he was worthless to us.

Edit:
Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph Bebe has joined Benfica on a free, but deal could be worth €3m in add-ons to Man Utd, who also have a 50 per cent sell-on clause..

Bebe memories.
sheesh

http://news.playup.com/articles/2898990 ... ou-know-me

Mitten now suggesting that Van Gaal has vetoed a move for Vidal.

Fuck's sake.

Still, let's wait for Vidal to announce that he's staying/going to Liverpool before embarking on yet another inquiry into another failure.
marlon
Legend

The Roma coach said Strootman will be running soon, so I expect that's his primary midfield target. If we don't get the players he wants, I don't expect van Gaal to suffer in silence though.
swampash
Legend

sheesh wrote:http://news.playup.com/articles/2898990 ... ou-know-me

Mitten now suggesting that Van Gaal has vetoed a move for Vidal.

Fuck's sake.

Still, let's wait for Vidal to announce that he's staying/going to Liverpool before embarking on yet another inquiry into another failure.
FFS - why would he do that - if it's true?
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

I think he wants Strootman. So we won't be going for Vidal. Frustrating, but there we go.