Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago
dozer wrote: 2 years ago All clubs seem to start with 2 holding midfielders. We have 2 crap ones.
City, Chelsea, Pool all have 2 holding players.
The point is that Ole plays two midfielders who barely contribute at all to the attack or to controlling the game. They just don’t have the quality, especially in passing. The position is not as important as what they do. Pirlo and Carrick were holding midfielders because they sat deep, but they were obviously very important to building the attack and to controlling possession.

We’ve also tended to sit very deep defensively, which exacerbates the situation.

Jorginho, Fabinho, Rodi etc are plainly very different players to Fred and McTominay.
I agree they're crap.
I don't think the plan is to sit deep. Ole's style of football has been the pass the ball out of defence, by keeping the ball low ie avoid aerial balls to the midfielders. But unlike other clubs the midfielders are (probably) told to look to make the risky passes or long passes the second they get the ball, without much buildup. The attackers make the runs to accommodate this. To do this you need top quality passers. You also need good decision making skills ie high football iq. The players should know when not to make the pass. We have neither of these skills in Fred and Mctominay. Even if we did have these players, there will be more interceptions of those passes so this results in us defending again. This is why we end up counter attacking often. It's a result of this system, not the goal.
This system also let's us create a lot of chances and is entertaining to watch especially because of fewer aerial balls, and end to end football.

Fergie had this system too. But he had the players to suit this. Our midfielders can't pass, and neither can our wide players and right back. Our players just try to blindly make those ambitious passes because those are the instructions. The quality isn't there. Rashford, Martial and Wan Bissaka are much worse, they can't even make a simple 5 yard pass.

This makes it all the more bewildering why the Beek doesn't get more opportunities.
sheesh
Legend

I thought you didn't like VdB, Dozer?

Tbf to the guy, I think the player himself knows he's wasting his career at United. I think that's more of a reflection on Ole than whether or not the player is actually good enough for us.
bman2
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago I don't think the plan is to sit deep.
If you pay £80M for Maguire, your plan is to sit deep. And if it’s not, you’re a fucking idiot.

I’d say Jose was bending the club’s ear about Maguire the previous summer, and when the time came, Ole just went along with it.
bman2
Legend

But yeah, sitting deep only makes things harder for whoever Ole is playing in midfield. He insists on playing it up, we don’t play many long balls unless Pogba is one of the two. It just leaves a lot of turf that McT and Fred are responsible for. they’re both doing a job that’s not really their specialty.
dozer
Legend

sheesh wrote: 2 years ago I thought you didn't like VdB, Dozer?

Tbf to the guy, I think the player himself knows he's wasting his career at United. I think that's more of a reflection on Ole than whether or not the player is actually good enough for us.
VDB looks like a top talent to me. But he's not playing. We should have sold him.
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago But yeah, sitting deep only makes things harder for whoever Ole is playing in midfield. He insists on playing it up, we don’t play many long balls unless Pogba is one of the two. It just leaves a lot of turf that McT and Fred are responsible for. they’re both doing a job that’s not really their specialty.
Here we go again. Making excuses for midfielders who aren't supposed to play in midfield apparently.

"Pogba must play in the left of a midfield diamond" "Fred must play with Xavi" and more nonsense.
fat maradona
Legend

You have to admit, Dozer is funny
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Rise of the petro-giants: PSG, Manchester City and Chelsea eclipse old guard

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... dApp_Other
bman2
Legend

The type of player the club has gone for since Ole took over, I’d say they are intent on getting Declan Rice. I’d say they were seriously interested in the young French player too (I’m blanking on his name atm), but he fits the profile too. I think they’ve decided they’d rather spend big money on someone like Rice than go for a 3rd or 4th choice. They’d be thinking of it being the “missing piece” signing like van Dijk for Liverpool. Emerging English star too of course.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago The type of player the club has gone for since Ole took over, I’d say they are intent on getting Declan Rice. I’d say they were seriously interested in the young French player too (I’m blanking on his name atm), but he fits the profile too. I think they’ve decided they’d rather spend big money on someone like Rice than go for a 3rd or 4th choice. They’d be thinking of it being the “missing piece” signing like van Dijk for Liverpool. Emerging English star too of course.
What do you make of Rice? What does everyone else? For me he's a lot like Gareth Barry. I don't get the hype. He's not the most mobile, or quick, but his positioning is good, he's unhurried and can play an alright ball. I think the club think it's another Carrick esque signing. But he's not as good.