Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago
bman2 wrote: 2 years ago A lot of Barca’s problems will be solved by offloading Messi if they can.
Absolutely. But according to the financials Messi brings in more revenue than he costs, so Barca are desperate to keep him. But therein lies another problem; paying monumental wages to players that are clearly past it. They're looking at getting rid of quality players like Coutinho (who're refusing to leave) so they keep Messi.

English clubs have a real chance to dominate europe while Madrid and Barca are in turmoil. United must be one of the clubs that picks up a european cup. It would be criminal not to considering the amount of money the club has and has spent.
For whatever reason although the premier league is considered the best the superstars I.e the creme de la creme prefer to go to Spain. I think Barca and Real have the power of attraction. Money isn't always enough. They'll survive whatever this crap is and continue to get the best players.
bman2
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago
bman2 wrote: 2 years ago A lot of Barca’s problems will be solved by offloading Messi if they can.
Absolutely. But according to the financials Messi brings in more revenue than he costs, so Barca are desperate to keep him. But therein lies another problem; paying monumental wages to players that are clearly past it. They're looking at getting rid of quality players like Coutinho (who're refusing to leave) so they keep Messi.

English clubs have a real chance to dominate europe while Madrid and Barca are in turmoil. United must be one of the clubs that picks up a european cup. It would be criminal not to considering the amount of money the club has and has spent.
For whatever reason although the premier league is considered the best the superstars I.e the creme de la creme prefer to go to Spain. I think Barca and Real have the power of attraction. Money isn't always enough. They'll survive whatever this crap is and continue to get the best players.
Well first of all you’re getting sunshine and an amazing lifestyle. But a lot of players also enjoy the style of play in Spain, very technical, less emphasis on pure athleticism. And the bigger clubs can obviously pay very well and have you competing at the top level.

The Premier League has the most money, so there are a lot more English clubs that can afford big money transfers from abroad. This raises the overall level, so that even bottom of the table clubs can make a top team work for their win with good defensive organization etc. The top 8 or even top 10 clubs in the PL can spend the kind of money on transfers that maybe only top 5-6 clubs can do in other leagues (maybe not even that). Look at Everton and Leeds with some of the most famous managers in the game, and some pretty big deal expensive players (less so Leeds, but they’ve only just come up).
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago

Well first of all you’re getting sunshine and an amazing lifestyle. But a lot of players also enjoy the style of play in Spain, very technical, less emphasis on pure athleticism. And the bigger clubs can obviously pay very well and have you competing at the top level.

The Premier League has the most money, so there are a lot more English clubs that can afford big money transfers from abroad. This raises the overall level, so that even bottom of the table clubs can make a top team work for their win with good defensive organization etc. The top 8 or even top 10 clubs in the PL can spend the kind of money on transfers that maybe only top 5-6 clubs can do in other leagues (maybe not even that). Look at Everton and Leeds with some of the most famous managers in the game, and some pretty big deal expensive players (less so Leeds, but they’ve only just come up).
I agree but that isn't the point.
The galacticos or potential galacticos typically prefer Spain over England. That's where clubs like United will struggle to attract talent.
I'm pretty sure Barca are paying peanuts (relatively speaking) to those free transfers. Because they get to play with the real galacticos, that's an attraction.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago

I think the managers have improved the Prem more so than the mega riches. The Prem has always had a huge financial advantage over every other league but rarely have we dominated europe. It's having the best managers at the cutting edge of football in charge of our clubs that is responsible. Klopp, Pep and arguably Tuchel have taken their clubs to another level - better than anything in europe at the min.

Irrespective of the Prem's riches, there's also been a huge cultural shift in England - at last - that sees us play football on the pitch rather than in the air. There's only really jose that hoofs it these days, and he's slumming it in serie a for his troubles. If you watch the Prem 5/6 years ago you see teams playing the ball on the deck, but it was fucking slow. Now the top teams are like lightenig. We've finally caught up.

As for Leeds, Everton and others of their ilk, have the mega riches really improved them? They're still where they belong IMO. They just play football on the deck now, and a shitload in fees and wages for average players. The only clubs that have gone up a level consistently are City, Liverpool and maybe Chelsea under Pep. United and Arsenal have fallen since the Prem's mega money. Spurs are on their way down too.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

That's what people said about the hugely prestigious Milan, and look at them now.

You need money to sign the best players, and right now Barca can only afford free transfers. So signing them is impossible. Also the pay cuts they're facing are significant. They've gone from having the highest wage bill in the world to that of Everton which will turn a lot of players off.

So yeah, they're great, prestigious clubs, and that has a lot of sway. But so does money. That's why you don't see the best siging for Milan anymore. Or keeping their best players. Donnarumma signed for PSG for free.
Last edited by Fuck the Glazers 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sheesh
Legend

Completely unrelated to what everyone is discussing but it looks like Camavinga prefers a move to Spain than a future at United. Or at least that's what's been reported on Twitter.

It's all very well signing Sancho and (hopefully) Varane but we desperately need a central midfielder, otherwise we'll end up going to the new season a bit short again.
fat maradona
Legend

There seems to be some momentum in the Trippier story. I think it's a short sighted signing but we do need cover at RB and he's better than AWB at getting forward and whipping those crosses in. Maybe it'll give AWB the kick up the ass that Shaw had when we signed Telles or/and maybe AWB will be moulded into a DM.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

If Varane is playing us to get a new deal, he's doing a convincing job. There are reports that he's agreed personal terms, and all that's left to do is sort the fee.
swampash
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 2 years ago There seems to be some momentum in the Trippier story. I think it's a short sighted signing but we do need cover at RB and he's better than AWB at getting forward and whipping those crosses in. Maybe it'll give AWB the kick up the ass that Shaw had when we signed Telles or/and maybe AWB will be moulded into a DM.
Trippier is an upgrade on what we have, so I’ll be happy to see him join us. He looked sharp at the Euros.
Jason
Star Man

swampash wrote: 2 years ago
fat maradona wrote: 2 years ago There seems to be some momentum in the Trippier story. I think it's a short sighted signing but we do need cover at RB and he's better than AWB at getting forward and whipping those crosses in. Maybe it'll give AWB the kick up the ass that Shaw had when we signed Telles or/and maybe AWB will be moulded into a DM.
Trippier is an upgrade on what we have, so I’ll be happy to see him join us. He looked sharp at the Euros.
Which begs the question, why in 2019 when both were available, we chose to spend twice as much on an unproven prospect who had played 1 season for palace, over a seasoned full back capped for England.

Hindsight is great, but at times you can definitely overthink things, and this is one of those cases for our recruitment team.