Hello, and an apology

The original Den of Iniquity
User avatar
Mumford
First Teamer
Posts: 459
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Earth sometimes

5 years ago

Robbo wrote:
Mumford wrote:
Robbo wrote:In all honesty if this place is to stay as it is an oasis for lost souls then Ed needs to choose a core of people who actually take over the daily admin duties for this place for which he has no time for anymore that´s my take on the subject, fine the forum would be better with some new blood but don´t forget at some point to pay the costs you will need adverts etc. and will have to bow down to the Google god and follow their rules to get there money.

Actually you don't.

Hosting for a forum this busy shouldn't cost anymore than $5 a month. which includes around 50gb of disk space and unlimited bandwidth, Domain renewal costs depend a lot on who you renew with, but generally it's around $10 - 15 per year.

It's only when you get to a forum the size of the Caf, that you have to really look at costs, they are probably on a VPS ( Virtual Private Server) which is around $100 month, but with that comes unlimited disk space and unlimited band width, they may even run their own server, but doubt that a it can be very expensive.

This forum would have to have around 150 members posting on daily basis to warrant upgrading the account to say 100GB, even then space could be saved by archiving and compressing to save space, that would mean that there would be delays if members then wanted to access the archives.
A lot of forums prune posts from certain threads automatically as they age to save space.
I do actually know this not meaning doing as Google will regarding money as I hosted the forum when Ed was away on a sojourn a few years back, all I was mentioning was when you get to the size of the Caf then your damned to follow the corporate dollar and this place has never been as large as the Caf or Republik of Mancunia and thats how most people like it.

I am slowly seeing why your pissing so many people off you really are a condescending cunt if the truth be known, there are people here who do have an idea about these things and how they work.
There are forums out there twice the size of the CAF and ROM that don't do ads, some of the biggest forums are funded by the members, voluntary donations mainly, thats how they stay ad free.
The only reason for for forums to have ads is for "click bait" to make the owners money, I've never run a forum for finanacial gain, and when I build sites and forums my charges are minimal to cover costs, I'm just as happy working with free software as I am with paid for. I make more from affiliations to hosting than I ever would through clicks and advertising.

if you think that every time I answer it is condescending then I can only say sorry, it's not meant to be, I cannot help it if my head is full of this type of shit.
Take all the courage you have left
And waste it on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head
Steggo
Legend
Posts: 1754
Joined: 7 years ago

5 years ago

The fact that the site may cost X amount of dollars says it all really.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6823
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

5 years ago

Steggo wrote:The fact that the site may cost X amount of dollars says it all really.
agreed...
Rant's official artificial intelligence
User avatar
redzebs
Legend
Posts: 11439
Joined: 8 years ago

5 years ago

Mumford wrote:
Robbo wrote:
Mumford wrote:
Robbo wrote:In all honesty if this place is to stay as it is an oasis for lost souls then Ed needs to choose a core of people who actually take over the daily admin duties for this place for which he has no time for anymore that´s my take on the subject, fine the forum would be better with some new blood but don´t forget at some point to pay the costs you will need adverts etc. and will have to bow down to the Google god and follow their rules to get there money.

Actually you don't.

Hosting for a forum this busy shouldn't cost anymore than $5 a month. which includes around 50gb of disk space and unlimited bandwidth, Domain renewal costs depend a lot on who you renew with, but generally it's around $10 - 15 per year.

It's only when you get to a forum the size of the Caf, that you have to really look at costs, they are probably on a VPS ( Virtual Private Server) which is around $100 month, but with that comes unlimited disk space and unlimited band width, they may even run their own server, but doubt that a it can be very expensive.

This forum would have to have around 150 members posting on daily basis to warrant upgrading the account to say 100GB, even then space could be saved by archiving and compressing to save space, that would mean that there would be delays if members then wanted to access the archives.
A lot of forums prune posts from certain threads automatically as they age to save space.
I do actually know this not meaning doing as Google will regarding money as I hosted the forum when Ed was away on a sojourn a few years back, all I was mentioning was when you get to the size of the Caf then your damned to follow the corporate dollar and this place has never been as large as the Caf or Republik of Mancunia and thats how most people like it.

I am slowly seeing why your pissing so many people off you really are a condescending cunt if the truth be known, there are people here who do have an idea about these things and how they work.
There are forums out there twice the size of the CAF and ROM that don't do ads, some of the biggest forums are funded by the members, voluntary donations mainly, thats how they stay ad free.
The only reason for for forums to have ads is for "click bait" to make the owners money, I've never run a forum for finanacial gain, and when I build sites and forums my charges are minimal to cover costs, I'm just as happy working with free software as I am with paid for. I make more from affiliations to hosting than I ever would through clicks and advertising.

if you think that every time I answer it is condescending then I can only say sorry, it's not meant to be, I cannot help it if my head is full of this type of shit.

Your head is full of wee sweetie mice banging doors as they say in Belshaft
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 13448
Joined: 8 years ago

5 years ago

Right... this animosity towards Mumford is as pointless as his attempts to talk the forum around to the idea of major change...

Let's all just let it go... this pissy bitching isn't going anywhere...

Mumford... you take no shit, and hold your own as well as anyone... let's leave it at that, and just get on with being a miserable cunt like the rest of us...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
User avatar
redzebs
Legend
Posts: 11439
Joined: 8 years ago

5 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:Right... this animosity towards Mumford is as pointless as his attempts to talk the forum around to the idea of major change...

Let's all just let it go... this pissy bitching isn't going anywhere...

Mumford... you take no shit, and hold your own as well as anyone... let's leave it at that, and just get on with being a miserable cunt like the rest of us...

As long as he doesn't go all pac man shite again, I'm not really in the mood for a feud
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
User avatar
Mumford
First Teamer
Posts: 459
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Earth sometimes

5 years ago

Steggo wrote:The fact that the site may cost X amount of dollars says it all really.
For some reason $$$$ are the internet currency.
Take all the courage you have left
And waste it on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head
User avatar
redzebs
Legend
Posts: 11439
Joined: 8 years ago

5 years ago

I thought bit coins were the Internet currency
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
User avatar
Mumford
First Teamer
Posts: 459
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Earth sometimes

5 years ago

redzebs wrote:I thought bit coins were the Internet currency

Different uses I think.

Probably comes from the internet being an American thing, and the first companies to offer hosting were American.
Take all the courage you have left
And waste it on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head
User avatar
redzebs
Legend
Posts: 11439
Joined: 8 years ago

5 years ago

Aye but the Queen sent the first email in the world in the 70s tbf
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Post Reply