Other Teams' Stuff

Non-United football chat
bman2
Legend

(Never mind)
Last edited by bman2 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bman2
Legend

Other clubs’ supporters should refuse to go to away games at Newcastle. Boycott that. City supporters might not agree, but it’s not like they’re very numerous anyway.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago I think I'm done with top flight football. Another moneybags, financially doped and state funded club is bad enough. But for it to be Saudi Arabia? Fuck right off.
I was having a chat last night about distancing myself from top flight football too. I haven't given the cunts any money for a long time. The Prem is essentially a free TV show for me, one that's in its 30th season, and it's becoming predictable with the dominance of the doped clubs, as well as sanitised and unlikeable

My local village club has just re-emerged after being liquidated cos of the actions of another shit owner (he looks like a saint compared to bin Salman). I might make that my main football experience at weekends, and just try and catch United as and when. A season ticket is 80 quid, and it's a laugh.

I feel a bit gutted, like when the ESL was announced, cos I think it'll be coming back, or at very least some kind of TV rights monopoly. It won't mean much for United, not when the Saudis have trillions to draw on. City being found guilty of financial doping but getting no punishment has set a standard for the Saudis to plow billions into Newcastle via fake sponsorships, so the future looks grim.
swampash
Legend

I'm with you completely on that Sid. I'm a whisker away from giving up on English football altogether. A Sunday afternoon hike to watch one of our local amateur teams, with a Bratwurst and a beer thrown in, holds much more attraction.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

This is an interesting development:

Angry Premier League clubs demand emergency meeting on Newcastle deal

Other 19 clubs united in opposition to Newcastle takeover

Clubs concerned Premier League’s brand could be damaged

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... astle-deal
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

But here's the thing, whose going to tell bin Salman and the Saudis to fuck off out the Prem - United, the Prem, the FA? They have no authority of a miniature super power

If they did try and stop it, the British gov would step in cos they love bin Salman. He buys billions of pounds worth of weapons from us. And the Reuben brothers who're also part of the takeover are big Tory donors and personal friends of Johnson

They're in over their heads with this one, and it will tarnish the league's reputation
swampash
Legend

Stir it up.
Write to your MP?
Write to the new Culture Secretary?
bman2
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago But here's the thing, whose going to tell bin Salman and the Saudis to fuck off out the Prem - United, the Prem, the FA? They have no authority of a miniature super power

If they did try and stop it, the British gov would step in cos they love bin Salman. He buys billions of pounds worth of weapons from us. And the Reuben brothers who're also part of the takeover are big Tory donors and personal friends of Johnson

They're in over their heads with this one, and it will tarnish the league's reputation
There were a lot of things before this, but this might be the final straw for me. I honestly don’t know if I can look at the league or the various competitions the same way again.

Which come to think of it probably means the ESL crowd will see an opportunity. TBH I might be more interested in an ESL without Newcastle than the PL with it. I bet I wouldn’t be the only one. Or I might just stop watching altogether.
swampash
Legend

Same thoughts are going through my mind too bman. I'm really just a whisker away from a 'so long and thanks for all the fish' post.
Interesting that fewer and fewer posts seem to be being made on here these days. I think everyone is getting pretty sick of the whole sorry situation.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

The apathy is palpable. Interest in football is declining for a lot of the reasons mentioned here (boring, too expensive, too disconnected from the fan). Paul who does the NQAT / Rantcast pod with Ed has just left after 10 years or so.

The aftermath of ESL was a chance for the gov to bring in some guidance / governance that could have steered it back on track. But there's no real interest from them IMO. Football is a free market and they're just going to let it run wild and free regardless of the consequences - the main consequence being football eating itself as people turn off.

It's not just the Prem, my city team are being held to random by their owner Allam, whose refused to invest in the squad for years after the council prevented him from relocating the club 40 mins drive outside of hull. Even my local village team were liquidated 2 years ago due financial mismanagement. Their owner also wanted to relocate them, and when it was stopped, he ran them into the ground.

The whole of the football pyramid is fucked