The World Cup thread

Non-United football chat
dozer
Legend

3 years ago

Martial being 🐕 shit had nothing to do with it then eh.
jason_uk
Star Man

4 months ago

Not sure if hijacking this thread for qatar 2022 is OK, but Germany have followed the Norway team in openly demonstrating about the human rights issues within Qatar, and around their stadium building.

Why don't these nations go one step further, and just withdraw from the competition, that would make a much bigger statement, if a nation like Germany withdrew.

Its too late now, nothing will change, and those migrants will continue to be nothing more than modern day slaves for stadium development.
delaney
Trainee

4 months ago

jason_uk wrote:
4 months ago
Not sure if hijacking this thread for qatar 2022 is OK, but Germany have followed the Norway team in openly demonstrating about the human rights issues within Qatar, and around their stadium building.

Why don't these nations go one step further, and just withdraw from the competition, that would make a much bigger statement, if a nation like Germany withdrew.

Its too late now, nothing will change, and those migrants will continue to be nothing more than modern day slaves for stadium development.
Totally agree, I was against Qatar being elected since the time they were nominated to host the world cup. Yes, there is social injustice everywhere today but I have never seen a country like Qatar that resembles ancient Egypt with all their God-kings and slaves and stuff.
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

jason_uk wrote:
4 months ago

For me it's the reality of football under capitalism. Cronyism, corruption, exploitation for a tournament that will make a load of rich people richer. It's a bag of shit. The games won't even be that good.

It would be nice if countries boycotted it but that would require the blessing of governments (unless the players went on a wildcat strike and said fuck this we're not going). But gov's won't want to piss Qatar off, or their friends. So it will probably happen.
swampash
Legend

4 months ago

I thought the German team showed themselves up as total tossers for that stunt. It needed a caption above the team picture so it would read 'we're going to the World Cup because we really don't give a shit about HUMANRIGHTS'.
Can't see any of them being so overwhelmingly committed to human rights that they would actually boycott the WC.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

4 months ago

Sid wrote:
4 months ago
jason_uk wrote:
4 months ago

For me it's the reality of football under capitalism. Cronyism, corruption, exploitation for a tournament that will make a load of rich people richer. It's a bag of shit. The games won't even be that good.

It would be nice if countries boycotted it but that would require the blessing of governments (unless the players went on a wildcat strike and said fuck this we're not going). But gov's won't want to piss Qatar off, or their friends. So it will probably happen.
I thought this was a good write up.

https://www.football365.com/news/case-e ... -nicholson
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
4 months ago
Sid wrote:
4 months ago
jason_uk wrote:
4 months ago

I thought this was a good write up.

https://www.football365.com/news/case-e ... -nicholson
I didn't know 6,500 have died. That's fucked me up.

This is what happens when workers have no protection, no radical unions, no radical working class. For me the workers should withold their labour, destroy the stadiums, destroy the machines. History tells us there'd be a deadly backlash. The state would either send in troops to shoot workers, or, if they're a bit nicer, far right goons to beat em up. But what choice do they have - it's already a massacre.

Boycotts can have some affect (better if the players went on strike and refused to play) but shaming FIFA and the FA won't do jack. It's liberal crap. Organisations don't feel shame. Hit em where it hurts, in the pocket and the only way to do that is to strike and destroy.
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

The guardian say the death toll is even higher

The total death toll is significantly higher, as these figures do not include deaths from a number of countries which send large numbers of workers to Qatar, including the Philippines and Kenya. Deaths that occurred in the final months of 2020 are also not included.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... d-cup-2022
bman2
Legend

4 months ago

jason_uk wrote:
4 months ago

I haven’t read about it, so I’m not familiar with the details. But it sounds a bit lame. You’re quite right: if you want to make a statement, then boycott the competition. Fair enough. Complaining about it but going anyway does not impress me at all. That’s just corporate spin.