1 month ago

swampash wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
swampash wrote:
1 month ago
Ever been to Scotland Sid?
You’re right about Scotland being sold out by its own political class. Burns wrote a brilliant poem about it, which Steeleye Span turned into a song (Parcel of Rogues).
I have, it's ace, been all around the Trossachs. I'll give that song a listen tonight.

Btw I'm on the wind up a bit, if you hadn't noticed :D
Hope you enjoy it Sid; Burns’ vernacular can be a bit difficult so, at the risk of sounding patronising, let me know if it needs explanation. It’s a withering criticism of the sell out by Scotland’s ruling class.
I love the song for its sense of melancholy and betrayal.
I got the gist of the song but you might need to go over parts cos it makes no sense to me haha. But the general tone, and the odd line I get, sounds scathing.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Still no Sancho. Hard to see him playing in the tournament now.

*Edit - he literally came on seconds after posting
Well a full back played in his place. England look like they were in the WC: stodgy, hard to score against and hard to beat, not much attack. But that can take you far in a tournament like this, sometimes all the way.
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
swampash wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
swampash wrote:
1 month ago
Ever been to Scotland Sid?
You’re right about Scotland being sold out by its own political class. Burns wrote a brilliant poem about it, which Steeleye Span turned into a song (Parcel of Rogues).
I have, it's ace, been all around the Trossachs. I'll give that song a listen tonight.

Btw I'm on the wind up a bit, if you hadn't noticed :D
Hope you enjoy it Sid; Burns’ vernacular can be a bit difficult so, at the risk of sounding patronising, let me know if it needs explanation. It’s a withering criticism of the sell out by Scotland’s ruling class.
I love the song for its sense of melancholy and betrayal.
I got the gist of the song but you might need to go over parts cos it makes no sense to me haha. But the general tone, and the odd line I get, sounds scathing.
Hi Sid - I'll PM you a link that explains the poem's context, rather than hijacking the thread.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Great drama in group F. Germany next for England. Evenly matched on paper. You might even fancy England. But we're bottlers when it comes to top teams in big games, so I wouldn't be surprised if Germany nicked it.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Great drama in group F. Germany next for England. Evenly matched on paper. You might even fancy England. But we're bottlers when it comes to top teams in big games, so I wouldn't be surprised if Germany nicked it.
Yeah that entertaining. It’s funny that Germany are a bit of shambles, but these kinds of teams often pull it together for the knock out stages.
jason_uk
Star Man

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Yeah that entertaining. It’s funny that Germany are a bit of shambles, but these kinds of teams often pull it together for the knock out stages.
Germany are a shambles, but I can see them beating England.

Big test for England, if they can manage to beat Germany, it would give a massive boost to confidence for the QF onwards.
swampash
Legend

4 weeks ago

swampash wrote:
1 month ago

Hi Sid - I'll PM you a link that explains the poem's context, rather than hijacking the thread.
PM on its way Sid...
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
swampash
Legend

4 weeks ago

Cannot fathom Löw's team selection or substitutions. Relying far too much in past reputations [Hummels, Kroos, even Muller (though less so than the other two)] and an outmoded style of play. Be interesting to see the game against England. If Löw persists doggedly with the same team and game plan, then this is big opportunity for England. They also meet in the easier half of the draw, so England's the path to the final should be clear.
Sid
Legend

4 weeks ago

jason_uk wrote:
1 month ago
bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Germany are a shambles, but I can see them beating England.

Big test for England, if they can manage to beat Germany, it would give a massive boost to confidence for the QF onwards.
The side of the draw England are in is much easier than the other one too. They avoid all of the top teams except Germany. No France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium or Italy. If they can beat Germany they could make it to the final.
swampash
Legend

4 weeks ago

Italy England final; Italy to win. My forecast.