Vs West Ham (FA Cup)

Forum for match day threads
fat maradona
Legend

5 months ago

Sid wrote:
5 months ago

Somewhat yeah, cos meat is terrible for us and the planet. But I'm a bit late to the party cos the climate crisis is unstoppable now, so is the extinction event that's happening to millions of species and threatening all life on earth, but you know, apparently becoming a green capitalist consumer will save the planet
This made me chuckle. I think the damage to the planet from growing veg is nearly as bad as from farming animals for consumption. The problem isn't what we eat, it's the fucking volume that is required. The problem is that there are too many humans, too many mouths to feed and Planet Earth cannot evolve quick enough to cope with this pest. I made a conscious move to eat only organic meat/fish a few years ago. The astronomical cost prevents me from eating non-veg more than a couple of times a week.
fat maradona
Legend

5 months ago

As for the football last night, what a shit show from nearly everyone. I'm beginning to think Dozer makes some sense some of the time. Rashford and Martial need to be more consistent. Ole needs to play Greenwood properly and not shunt him out on the far right. And what's with our passing ffs, we play these little triangles and squares but it doesn't achieve anything apart from us giving the ball away.
dozer
Legend

5 months ago

Sid wrote:
5 months ago
Bit of unwanted context, West Ham are 1 point off top 4, on the same number of points as Chelsea. So a 1-0 home win without being threatened that much is a good result.

Also how the fuck is that Moyes team 1 point off top 4. Mad season.

Moyes is a top manager. He didnt make the step up. He did well for Everton. Very few had that kind of success. Alan Curbishley was another who did really well. Moyes wasn't familiar with managing massive clubs and he got rid of Fergies staff. Big blunder.
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
5 months ago
Sid wrote:
5 months ago

Somewhat yeah, cos meat is terrible for us and the planet. But I'm a bit late to the party cos the climate crisis is unstoppable now, so is the extinction event that's happening to millions of species and threatening all life on earth, but you know, apparently becoming a green capitalist consumer will save the planet
This made me chuckle. I think the damage to the planet from growing veg is nearly as bad as from farming animals for consumption. The problem isn't what we eat, it's the fucking volume that is required. The problem is that there are too many humans, too many mouths to feed and Planet Earth cannot evolve quick enough to cope with this pest. I made a conscious move to eat only organic meat/fish a few years ago. The astronomical cost prevents me from eating non-veg more than a couple of times a week.
Thing is we produce enough food to feed the world but most of it goes to waste. And yeah, I have this debate with my better half and vegans in general; industrialised veg production is better for the environment but not by much, mainly cos of all the fucking pesticides and fertilizers that's needed to produce the crop on over-farmed land that's long been exploited of all its nutrients. The insects (including bees) get hit hard if everyone switches to veg. Also the run off pollutes land and the seas.

I think individuals do need to make changes but it's nowt unless industry does too. It's a fact. A minority of mega rich companies do the majority of damage. The research proves it. And here's the thing, if you said to people do you want your energy from natural sources that don't damage your health, that don't pollute your kids lungs, and threaten all life on earth - and it was affordable - they'd say yes. Most sensible normal non psychotic people that is. But we've never had the choice cos the fossil fuel industry prevented it cos it would damage their profits. We've just lived through the glory years of fossil fuels where the rich got richer than ever before in human history. Now they're beginning to change to renewables, it's too late.
bman2
Legend

5 months ago

A huge amount of agricultural production goes to feeding livestock. So the meat industry produces all of the bad effects of large scale agriculture as well.
fat maradona
Legend

5 months ago

bman2 wrote:
5 months ago
A huge amount of agricultural production goes to feeding livestock. So the meat industry produces all of the bad effects of large scale agriculture as well.
It's an easy excuse to the real problem. What, so we all give up eating meat but then clean the oceans out? Ok, so we all become vegetarians but then we need to clear huge swathes of forests/woodlands to make way for agriculture? End result of any scenario is that the human population keeps growing and needs feeding and in order to do so, big corporations rise and no one gives a shit about anything apart from filling hungry bellies cost efficiently. This movement towards insects as protein, yeh, it makes sense but where does that stop? We start fucking about with genetics and start creating 6 foot tall crickets?
FuB
Legend

5 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
5 months ago
bman2 wrote:
5 months ago
It's an easy excuse to the real problem. What, so we all give up eating meat but then clean the oceans out? Ok, so we all become vegetarians but then we need to clear huge swathes of forests/woodlands to make way for agriculture? End result of any scenario is that the human population keeps growing and needs feeding and in order to do so, big corporations rise and no one gives a shit about anything apart from filling hungry bellies cost efficiently. This movement towards insects as protein, yeh, it makes sense but where does that stop? We start fucking about with genetics and start creating 6 foot tall crickets?
I'm pretty sure Buddy Holly was quite tall anyway
Rant's official artificial intelligence
swampash
Legend

5 months ago

Basically just too many people on the planet.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

FuB wrote:
5 months ago
fat maradona wrote:
5 months ago
bman2 wrote:
5 months ago
I'm pretty sure Buddy Holly was quite tall anyway
:))

I learned today that the coffee industry recently had a really good yield and produced an excess of coffee. So they burned it all, cos the excess pushed the price of coffee down.

And this happens with loads of foods, especially milk which could and should feed the poor. But corporations aren't arsed, they only care about the profit. That'd be true of veggie alternatives like soy cos it's still run in a capitalist way.
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

swampash wrote:
5 months ago
Basically just too many people on the planet.
Problem with this thinking is it leads to fascism, what's being called eco fascism, which is gaining popularity. They've already killed a few people in the US in a bid to rid the world of the parasite human race yada ya.

If there are too many people, who has to go? Immigrants? The global south? Middle class 'educated' westerners? Whose lives are worth more