EUROPA FINAL YOU CUNTS (Villareal)

Forum for match day threads
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 6538
Joined: 8 years ago

2 months ago

bman2 wrote:
2 months ago
We might as well have stuck with Moyes to be honest. The evidence of this season is that he’s a much better manager than Ole. The Glazers only picked this guy and stuck with him because it gets some supporters of their back.
What would you say is minimum for a successful season, next season, whether its Ole or someone else you like managing the club?
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 8753
Joined: 8 years ago

2 months ago

dozer wrote:
2 months ago
bman2 wrote:
2 months ago
We might as well have stuck with Moyes to be honest. The evidence of this season is that he’s a much better manager than Ole. The Glazers only picked this guy and stuck with him because it gets some supporters of their back.
What would you say is minimum for a successful season, next season, whether its Ole or someone else you like managing the club?
As I’ve said for a long time, several years now, I’m less concerned with results, in the short term, than I am with seeing evidence of progress on the pitch. A style of play. We actually have no idea how good most of our players are, because we’re so obviously not getting the best out of them. They’re so obviously not being coached to the same level as our competitors. It’s easier for players to perform when there’s actually a fucking plan.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 8753
Joined: 8 years ago

2 months ago

Jesus how many times in his post match interview, after 90 minutes of insipid play when we failed to penetrate the opposition defense at all, has Ole said that we needed more “moments of magic” up front.

Look at Bielsa for fuck’s sake. Taking it to the top sides with Championship players. Does it not occur to Ole that magic is made on the training ground?
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 8753
Joined: 8 years ago

2 months ago

I feel like Ole’s entire coaching philosophy is shaped by our jammy as fuck last minute win against Bayern in the CL final. That’s not a strategy, that’s playing the lottery. Ferguson knew it himself and brought Quieroz in the help him rebuild United’s tactics from the ground-up.
sheesh
Legend
Posts: 2739
Joined: 5 years ago

2 months ago

I've given Ole credit for the fact we've got 2nd this season, and he fully deserves it, but he has to cop his share of the blame for tonight. Why on earth did we not make changes? Why didn't van de beek play? That match was crying out for someone with his quality. I felt we wasted an opportunity to capitalise when we got our equaliser. There was such a contrast between this our approach in this game and Roma at home. I know Villareal sat back, but still...so disappointing.

Without wishing to sound arrogant, we should be beating teams like Villareal. God help us if we play like that against better sides in Europe next season.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 8753
Joined: 8 years ago

2 months ago

sheesh wrote:
2 months ago
I've given Ole credit for the fact we've got 2nd this season, and he fully deserves it, but he has to cop his share of the blame for tonight. Why on earth did we not make changes? Why didn't van de beek play? That match was crying out for someone with his quality. I felt we wasted an opportunity to capitalise when we got our equaliser. There was such a contrast between this our approach in this game and Roma at home. I know Villareal sat back, but still...so disappointing.

Without wishing to sound arrogant, we should be beating teams like Villareal. God help us if we play like that against better sides in Europe next season.
I give Ole lots of credit. He’s done well. He came from the Norwegian league after all. He last won something as a manager in 2013, or thereabouts, in Norway. His previous shot at the PL saw him get Cardiff relegated. So getting us into the CL twice is a very solid achievement he should be proud of. But at the same time, we do have a very expensive and very talented squad. We *should* be qualifying for the CL. In the end, it feels like we’re still just about getting by with an interim manager.

And yes, no disrespect to Villarreal, but clearly we should be beating them. They defended well, but the amazing quality of their penalties showed you where their training time was focused. We were very obviously playing a well coached mid table underdog.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 8753
Joined: 8 years ago

2 months ago

As for Beek... man of the match in a CL semi final, and goal scorer. Can’t even get a look in? On a night when we struggled to create anything? United is clearly paying millions of pounds every week to that half of the squad that the manager only uses as stand ins for the opposition on the training ground.
User avatar
OliverB
Trainee
Posts: 6
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: Midlands

2 months ago

Mourinho isn't special any more, in fact he hasn't been since his second season back in charge of Chelsea, clearly when the board didn't sign the players he wanted, he found it easy to throw them under the bus, that said, clubs should not sign players without the manager giving the final word as it's just wrong.

We shouldn't want that sort of manager at our club but we also shouldn't want a board who do that at our club.

I'm not sure Mourinho would have done better than OGS this season, Mourinho was fired and OGS took us on a fantastic run as soon as he came in, as we've see with many clubs, the players down tools, Chelsea were rubbish a few years ago straight after winning the PL, changed the manager and won the Champions league, so if we kept Mourinho - would the players have all of a sudden started playing for him again? probably not because a manager who used to keep a close knit team, defend his players to the hilt regardless of if they had a bad game - turned into a grill them in public type of guy and that ain't the type of guy players are going to give their all for.

Now onto the current state of affairs, we've spent big money but are very inconsistent, started off last season and has continued since, for me that's because Ollie seems to much of a nice guy, I don't see players improving, I don't see a manager who for example like Gaurdiola who even when his team are winning by 3 goals - still wants his team to improve, still gets annoyed if they give the ball away too easily etc.

A big club needs a strong manager, a firm manager, not necessarily an ego who claims to be special, just someone who is demanding, gets every last drop out of a player and pushes them to improve all the time.

Ollie is the guy that win or lose you just want to give a hug, he's too sweet and likeable, for me that personality isn't going to motivate talented youngsters or big money signings to keep trying to improve.

We also shouldn't forget the effects of playing in empty stadiums can have on players mentally, for the last year if you've watch matches on tv without the fake crowd - it's dreary, like a training session, throw that in with everything that's going on in the world and you can see why they may find it hard to get up for a game, express themselves and have fun on the pitch, Liverpool were brilliant at home last season, this season they've been awful, most people blame it on their defensive injuries but that doesn't stop such an excellent strike force scoring goals, for me - playing in an empty stadium destroyed their season.

I'm not saying we should sack OGS, just that we shouldn't expect him to start us off on some trophy winning domination.
fat maradona
Legend
Posts: 1125
Joined: 8 years ago

2 months ago

bman2 wrote:
2 months ago
Has Ole ever made a tactical change during a match? And I don’t even mean a tactical change that worked, just a change of any kind??
Course he has, remember that time we were trying to win the Europa something or other and we were 1-1 against an average Spanish side and we still had half an hour to win the game and Ole subbed the best finisher at the club for the worst passer of the ball? Man, how that changed the game for us.....
User avatar
urboystook1hellofabeating
First Teamer
Posts: 289
Joined: 7 years ago

2 months ago

jason_uk wrote:
2 months ago
So frustrated, tonight was a perfect opportunity for this utd squad to get the monkey of their back regarding finals and winning something.

Losing tonight will keep that lingering doubt hovering around this squad.

Also, football is all about confidence, and going into next season having won tonight would have helped the team morale and belief, whereas the end result will likely be the complete opposite.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Post Reply