vs Crystal Palace

Forum for match day threads
sheesh
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago Unfortunately I missed the first half, and it sounds like we were much better in the first half. But I thought we looked better than before in the second half anyway. The pressing was obvious, Palace had a hard time holding onto the ball. I’m honestly surprised that there was much of a visible difference to our play already. The CBs looked more composed. There was just more of a sense that people knew what the plan was.

Maintaining energy levels will be difficult.

Fred with a quality goal! The guy was so happy. Apparently Rangnick really liked the look of Elanga in training.
I don't want to get too carried away, but could it be that Rangnick turns Fred into a semi-decent player? That would be an incredible turnaround.

I think Dozer mentioned Dalot and Telles earlier. They've never really got an eye in to date, but maybe things will change.

I heard that Rashford was shite again today - not sure what's going on with him.
Jason
Star Man

sheesh wrote: 2 years ago
bman2 wrote: 2 years ago Unfortunately I missed the first half, and it sounds like we were much better in the first half. But I thought we looked better than before in the second half anyway. The pressing was obvious, Palace had a hard time holding onto the ball. I’m honestly surprised that there was much of a visible difference to our play already. The CBs looked more composed. There was just more of a sense that people knew what the plan was.

Maintaining energy levels will be difficult.

Fred with a quality goal! The guy was so happy. Apparently Rangnick really liked the look of Elanga in training.
I don't want to get too carried away, but could it be that Rangnick turns Fred into a semi-decent player? That would be an incredible turnaround.

I think Dozer mentioned Dalot and Telles earlier. They've never really got an eye in to date, but maybe things will change.

I heard that Rashford was shite again today - not sure what's going on with him.
Even the few games since ogs left, fred seemed to be performing a bit better. It looks like he's been let of leash a little bit, and he's way more advanced than he ever was for ole. 2 assists v arsenal, and a goal today, hard to believe he will maintain it, but maybe the problem has been he's been asked to do a job he wasn't 100% comfortable with, but its early days.
bman2
Legend

I think a problem for anyone playing in that midfield two (which has usually been McFred) is that, under Ole, our team got too stretched out and the midfielders had too much ground to cover. Maguire’s instinct is to play closer to goal, while the front four roamed up top.

Against Palace, we played a high line. Rangnick had the CBs on the halfway line. I also think the main point of the 4-2-2-2 formation was to emphasize that the two 10s should connect midfield with the forwards.

In his interview Rangnick also stressed that the fullbacks were playing as wing backs, so really getting forward a lot. If that remains a constant requirement, it maybe be tricky for Shaw and Bissaka to get their spots back.
dozer
Legend

The problem with Fred is that he blunders very often. He always blunders a simple pass and gets us in trouble.
Even in that Carrick game where he did well, iirc it was only in one half he played well. The other half (I think it was the first half) he blundered many passes and we were in trouble.
Against Palace, we dominated the game so Fred didn't make those mistakes. Fair play, he did well.
But I don't think he's good. This is too simple a trait to fuck up. Blundering passes when without pressure has nowt to do with coaching.
Rashford has this problem too.
dozer
Legend

Maguire also had a good game, but tbf it's easy for our defensive players to have good games when there isn't much of a threat.
In Ranginck's style, we dominated possession, simlar to how we were under Gaal.

I'm glad Rangnick complained about the square passes. That was our key fucking "philosophy" under Gaal. Our forwards saw very little of the ball. Thankfully that didn't happen under Rangnick although we didn't create many good chances. Hopefully that'll come when the team is more accustomed to Rangnick's methods
swampash
Legend

I didn't see the game unfortunately, but I've read all the posts here and the Guardian reports. Looks like we have been vindicated over our collective criticism of the hobbit and his tactics. It's still early days, but for the first time in a long time I'm really looking forward to watching our next game.
FuB
Site Admin

swampash wrote: 2 years ago I didn't see the game unfortunately, but I've read all the posts here and the Guardian reports. Looks like we have been vindicated over our collective criticism of the hobbit and his tactics. It's still early days, but for the first time in a long time I'm really looking forward to watching our next game.
I can't remember what your wager with dozer was but surely recent events have affected it?
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
swampash
Legend

I‘m still looking good to win Fuß.
bman2
Legend

Another good press conference from Rangnick. It's so nice to have a manager that can give you a straight answer to questions. Sounds like he'll be giving a number of players their chance tomorrow.