Vs Villa (league)

Forum for match day threads
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

fat maradona
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago The first 20 mins were the best we've played under Rangnick. Got gradually shitter after that though. Losing a 2-0 lead is piss poor.
There’s no evidence of Rangnick-ball. It’s still the same old story. Lack of control in midfield, defensively poor and too much reliance on moments of brilliance. This isn’t a team. I think Ralf has been told to park the pressing (there was none of it that I saw) and just stick with Ole-ball until the next mug of a manager is appointed.
dozer
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago
dozer wrote: 2 years ago Sancho is not even trying now. Get rid.
80m. Who the fuck scouted him? He's shite
For 1m I've told them to avoid them dortmund players.
dozer
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 2 years ago
Sid wrote: 2 years ago The first 20 mins were the best we've played under Rangnick. Got gradually shitter after that though. Losing a 2-0 lead is piss poor.
There’s no evidence of Rangnick-ball. It’s still the same old story. Lack of control in midfield, defensively poor and too much reliance on moments of brilliance. This isn’t a team. I think Ralf has been told to park the pressing (there was none of it that I saw) and just stick with Ole-ball until the next mug of a manager is appointed.
Nah. It's not really Ole ball though is it? You're deflecting from Ralf.
It's early days but there's nothing visible that Ralf has brought to this team yet.
sheesh
Legend

Villa are not a shit side and I thought there were moments in that game where we played well. OK, we didn't control the game but we had a midfield of Matic and Fred. Elanga had a good game. Greenwood was a bit unlucky not to score in the first half. In the second, (even) Matic put in an excellent ball, which we fucked up in the final third.

I know this is a low bar but, for much of that game, we were moving the ball around quickly and we looked threatening going forward.

What I'm concerned about is players like Maguire and Rashford wil go back into the side and they'll be very difficult to dislodge. I think we'll look back on this result as a defining moment in the season.
bman2
Legend

There have been a few games under Ralf where we are good for the first 40 minutes. It’s not amazing, but it’s clearly the early stages of a high pressing game, controlling the game in the other team’s half. We had like 85% possession for the first thirty minutes or so.

But then we always fall apart. I don’t know what the problem is. Some of the players seem to shit themselves a bit. I suppose for three years or more, they got used to falling back and booting it long when the other team got in their business. To play a modern pressing game, you have to have the nerve and skill to keep it up even when the opposition gets in your face.

We have too many players that just don’t seem to be able to compete that way. The midfield is weak, but in terms of pressing, our forwards are even worse. One of the commentators was all over greenwood, saying he was amazing, our best player. But he never pressed once. We created nothing down that side. If a few of the forwards don’t do their job, the press turns into a farce the players further back get fucked and overrun.
swampash
Legend

It was never going to be an overnight transition, but I'm pretty clear that we are progressing. Against Villa we were a bit limited in what we could do because of suspensions, which pretty much dictated that Fred and Matic had to occupy midfield and removed my preferred option of playing Shaw at LWB and shifting Telles into midfield.
From my perspective, I thought Greenwood has a good game. Ralph obviously wanted him to attack from deep and I thought he looked better suited to that role. I thought Elanga looked good and Cavani worked really hard - he clearly gets the plan.
The trouble, again, was not managing the game well enough when we went ahead. We need to be much more ruthless once we are on top and I suspect that some of the squad isn't yet fully up to the level of fitness that the modern game demands.
It's important too to recognise that Gegenpressing isn't just about rushing at the opposition ball carrier - it's also about getting into the distribution channels to limit the ball carrier's options.
All in all, I feel pretty pleased with how we are progressing.
bman2
Legend

swampash wrote: 2 years ago It was never going to be an overnight transition, but I'm pretty clear that we are progressing. Against Villa we were a bit limited in what we could do because of suspensions, which pretty much dictated that Fred and Matic had to occupy midfield and removed my preferred option of playing Shaw at LWB and shifting Telles into midfield.
From my perspective, I thought Greenwood has a good game. Ralph obviously wanted him to attack from deep and I thought he looked better suited to that role. I thought Elanga looked good and Cavani worked really hard - he clearly gets the plan.
The trouble, again, was not managing the game well enough when we went ahead. We need to be much more ruthless once we are on top and I suspect that some of the squad isn't yet fully up to the level of fitness that the modern game demands.
It's important too to recognise that Gegenpressing isn't just about rushing at the opposition ball carrier - it's also about getting into the distribution channels to limit the ball carrier's options.
All in all, I feel pretty pleased with how we are progressing.
I like that optimism! Hope you're right.