Vs Southampton

Forum for match day threads
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
5 months ago
when Fred plays like he did tonight, you can see why we would want to pay £50m for him. And the fullbacks were great tonight.
That was the difference today, the quality balls in from out wide from Shaw, Rash and Wan-Bissaka. It's how City play, getting the ball wide to stretch the play. Too often we go through the middle and it's aimless.
fat maradona
Legend

5 months ago

Rashford also got his 83rd career goal for United, that's one more than the King got for us. And he's till only 23 and has hopefully got another 10 years with us as a top top player.
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

Forgot the Cavani tackle was a pen, so it could easily have been 10
dozer
Legend

5 months ago

Had to miss this game :((
swampash
Legend

5 months ago

Really not sure what to make of this game. On the one hand, winning by such a margin is great; especially when players showed they could be ruthless and didn't just back off when the other team are done for. McT looked very good advancing up the field and scored a cracking goal - the sort of goal you would want to see our midfielders scoring regularly.
On the other hand, a weak Southampton side crippled by an early [justified] red were always there for the taking. And defensively we still looked very frail on occasions.
I noticed Baggins seemed to switch to more of a 4141shape after it was clear Southampton were done for. Does this mean he can switch tactics when needed?
On balance pleased for the win but, on Baggins and tactics, I'm not holding my breath...
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

swampash wrote:
5 months ago
Really not sure what to make of this game. On the one hand, winning by such a margin is great; especially when players showed they could be ruthless and didn't just back off when the other team are done for. McT looked very good advancing up the field and scored a cracking goal - the sort of goal you would want to see our midfielders scoring regularly.
On the other hand, a weak Southampton side crippled by an early [justified] red were always there for the taking. And defensively we still looked very frail on occasions.
I noticed Baggins seemed to switch to more of a 4141shape after it was clear Southampton were done for. Does this mean he can switch tactics when needed?
On balance pleased for the win but, on Baggins and tactics, I'm not holding my breath...
Yeah the tactics were interesting. Our fullbacks were super attacking and showed what they can do. Makes you wonder if they're not shit going forward, and that it's Ole not letting em attack. Perhaps he wants em to stay back more to protect Slabhead and Hoof. He'd have a point tbf. Wan-Bissaka's pace is crucial to stopping counters.
dozer
Legend

5 months ago

swampash wrote:
5 months ago
fat maradona
Legend

5 months ago

Sid wrote:
5 months ago
swampash wrote:
5 months ago
Yeah the tactics were interesting. Our fullbacks were super attacking and showed what they can do. Makes you wonder if they're not shit going forward, and that it's Ole not letting em attack. Perhaps he wants em to stay back more to protect Slabhead and Hoof. He'd have a point tbf. Wan-Bissaka's pace is crucial to stopping counters.
That'd be logical if AWB had any kind of positional sense, more often than not he's not where he should be if he was reading the game. If he wasn't such a good tackler, he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.
swampash
Legend

5 months ago

I agree; AWB has pace and can tackle, but he always looks poor as an attacker. I think it was bman who first suggested he might be better as a sitting DM. He'd have the pace to cover wing-to-wing and could be relied on for his effective tackling. But could he pass out of defence effectively?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...