Manchester United chat
FuB
Legend

9 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
9 months ago
swampash wrote:
9 months ago
I’m sorry but what planet do you have to live on to realize such language isn’t acceptable?
His nationality is no excuse.
It’s simply not acceptable.
Seriously? Words are just words, it's the intent that counts. What, am I supposed to be careful how I say Negroni next time I order my favourite drink? I could say the word in a malicious snide manner, fully intending to be a racist cunt but it's actually not an offensive word.

My parents, and three generations before them, are East African Indians. They use words and phrases which make me cringe but they aren't racist. But those things are unique to that part of the world, those generations that lived there. You can't expect the whole world to confirm just because #blm.
How could "Negroni" be offensive when the name is derived from an Italian surname which still exists? I suppose you could use the word in an offensive way if that intention is understood by the subject you're aiming it at but it would be a huge misrepresentation of the word's origins and, moving forwards, make it pretty awkward for the many people who still have that surname.
Rant's official artificial intelligence
fat maradona
Legend

9 months ago

FuB wrote:
9 months ago
How could "Negroni" be offensive when the name is derived from an Italian surname which still exists? I suppose you could use the word in an offensive way if that intention is understood by the subject you're aiming it at but it would be a huge misrepresentation of the word's origins and, moving forwards, make it pretty awkward for the many people who still have that surname.
Ok, so maybe my use of negroni wasn't the best example but my point was we have lots of words and phrases in our vocabulary, all unique to culture/where we live.

I'm not condoning what he said but there seems to be an overreaction to it imo. It's not like the Suarez incident which was intentionally spiteful.
fat maradona
Legend

9 months ago

Sid wrote:
9 months ago

Would you use the n word in a friendly way when ordering your drink from a black waiter?

I think you've been exposed to some right wing propaganda, fatty
Growing up in South London's poorest estates in the 70's as a brown kid has made me less sensitive I guess.
bman2
Legend

9 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
9 months ago
FuB wrote:
9 months ago
Ok, so maybe my use of negroni wasn't the best example but my point was we have lots of words and phrases in our vocabulary, all unique to culture/where we live.

I'm not condoning what he said but there seems to be an overreaction to it imo. It's not like the Suarez incident which was intentionally spiteful.
Cavani's intent definitely seems friendly, not offensive. He said it publicly on social media, thanking a supportive fan. So not at all like Suarez in terms of context or intent. From what I understand, Suarez also said "negro" instead of "negrito", and I could imagine that there's a difference in tone between the two. But I'm not at all knowledgeable enough about it to judge the different cultural and linguistic context.

A suspension is appropriate. The FA needs to have a firm an unambiguous stance on these issues. But I hope the suspension is proportionate to the circumstances. It really doesn't look like Cavani intended an offence, he's quickly apologized, and it looks like he's been educated by the experience.
dozer
Legend

9 months ago

Cavani has been charged by FA.
That's expected because they're just AI trained devices running on fubs style automation software to detect blacklisted words and auto submit charges.
swampash
Legend

9 months ago

It's interesting to see the different takes on this, depending on cultural background. I stand corrected and more informed than I would have been if I didn't hang out here.
Meanwhile, here in Germany it's still common to hear certain words used with impunity, which would make you cringe if you heard the English equivalents used in the UK.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
fat maradona
Legend

8 months ago

3 match ban and £100k fine.
dozer
Legend

8 months ago

Lol. I hope he sues the FA for racism.
Sid
Legend

8 months ago

Martial better find some form