Vs Granada

Forum for match day threads
Sid
Legend

3 months ago

Have we played well in this competition yet? I don't think so, and we're in the semis
Sid
Legend

3 months ago

Roma in the semis. They're 7th in the serie a so that's an improvement on Granada who are 8th in la liga.
bman2
Legend

3 months ago

Granada aren’t very dangerous, so it’s hard to reach clear judgments. But I think this line up shows you how many more options you have we you don’t play Maguire. We can play Telles, a real attacking left back, because Lindelof has the mobility to get across and cover for the fullback. Maguire is simply too slow to do that — you have to play him in a three, or rein in the fullback on his side. We can also play Matic, who brings some composure to midfield. Matic is as slow of Maguire, so the two together are dreadful, but you can get away with Matic depending on the opposition.

More generally, I don’t think you lose much defensively. Even if you think Maguire is better than Lindelof and Tuanzebe, the fact is that the L & T at least have the mobility to cover for one another, so there is the making of a more effective overall partnership. I very rarely see Maguire cover for Lindelof, and never for the full back. He’s just too slow.
swampash
Legend

3 months ago

bman2 wrote:
3 months ago
Granada aren’t very dangerous, so it’s hard to reach clear judgments. But I think this line up shows you how many more options you have we you don’t play Maguire. We can play Telles, a real attacking left back, because Lindelof has the mobility to get across and cover for the fullback. Maguire is simply too slow to do that — you have to play him in a three, or rein in the fullback on his side. We can also play Matic, who brings some composure to midfield. Matic is as slow of Maguire, so the two together are dreadful, but you can get away with Matic depending on the opposition.

More generally, I don’t think you lose much defensively. Even if you think Maguire is better than Lindelof and Tuanzebe, the fact is that the L & T at least have the mobility to cover for one another, so there is the making of a more effective overall partnership. I very rarely see Maguire cover for Lindelof, and never for the full back. He’s just too slow.
:-BD
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...