Do you want to give LVG this summer or have we seen enough..

Manchester United chat
Sid
Legend

5 years ago

Nah Giggs is key. If Gaal lost him he'd lose Rooney, the other senior players, probably the younger players too who look up to him, possibly the board, Fergie, definitely the class of Peter Lim

He was instrumental in the ditching of Moyes

The manager needs Giggs
FuB
Legend

5 years ago

Sid wrote:The manager needs Giggs
as an assistant or as a helpful figurehead?
Rant's official artificial intelligence
Robbo
Legend

5 years ago

FuB wrote:do you think that, when he went to all that trouble to tell everyone what a "nice guy" Giggs is at that awards dinner, what he really meant was "you're no trouble for me"?
Sometimes it looks like that and in all honesty before Giggs manages United he needs to go and make a name for himself elsewhere before he could even be considered as a future United manager.
-----------------------------------------------------
Sid
Legend

5 years ago

redzebs wrote:
Robbo wrote:
redzebs wrote:
Robbo wrote:Living in Germany and having seen what Van Gaal did at Bayern München I have expected a hell of a lot more from him if the truth be known. Some Pundits are saying that the players are not playing for Van Gaal and if that´s the case then hasn't he lost the dressing room?

If we had any players with balls he'd be in a lot more shit than he is
I agree with that it looks like what he says is the law, I sometimes ask my self what Giggs is doing as the assistant Manager because you hear nothing from him, I can understand Van Gaal saying all the comments from ex United players are sour eggs despite the point they are right with their comments and that appears to be Van Gaals biggest problem he cant take in what these people say and use it to better the team.

Yesterday was the first I've seen Giggs get into, what I would call anyway, a proper public disagreement then one of the Dutch boys started piping in and Giggs looked more assertive and didn't seem to give a fuck and was arguing away
Yeah I pointed this out at the time, the cameras were showing a lot more of Giggs than we've seen previously. At least 7 or 8 shots. So for all we know those discussions go on every game, only now TV are showing it to support the narrative that Giggs isn't happy, RUCTIONS and all that shite

The camera was at an angle so that when Giggs turned to Gaal and the coaches to talk, you saw his face in full, and the backs of everybody elses heads. That makes him the focus. Normally it's Gaal's face we see, him being the manager

The BBC loved that on their text updator. They were giving it 'Giggs is gesticulatng to the ptch while Gaal just sits there who is the manager' exasperation. We love an arm waver even though almost all players ever have said I can't fucking hear em let alone understand em when they do that.
Sid
Legend

5 years ago

FuB wrote:
Both, he has a lot to offer as an assistant knowing the game so well. But he's also an ambassador of the club who has the respect of the squad - certainly all the senior players who're key. The young ones will look up to him as well. His pictures are all over the academy walls.

He's hugely powerful. He has Fergie and Charlton's numbers on speed dial n all. And probably some board members too.
Steggo
Legend

5 years ago

Giggs has had two years learning his management skills,plus all he knows as a player.I think he will go for the Swansea job to finish his apprenticeship and return to United as the manager after whoever succeeds van Gaal (or not,as he may make a total hash of it).I don't think there is any way he is ready now.
FuB
Legend

5 years ago

Sid wrote:
FuB wrote:
Both, he has a lot to offer as an assistant knowing the game so well. But he's also an ambassador of the club who has the respect of the squad - certainly all the senior players who're key. The young ones will look up to him as well. His pictures are all over the academy walls.

He's hugely powerful. He has Fergie and Charlton's numbers on speed dial n all. And probably some board members too.
I don't think anyone is doubting his credentials or knowledge of the game. I'm finding that I doubt he has anywhere near enough of a personality to assert himself in the position he is and, if his knowledge of the game is so important to van Gaal, that doesn't really seem to be showing on the pitch.
Rant's official artificial intelligence
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

I'm wondering how much of his success was the happy accident of taking over a team at the right time? Like taking over from Jupp Heynckes at Bayern. Only a complete muppet would have fucked that one up...
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
Mumford
First Teamer

5 years ago

swampash wrote:I'm wondering how much of his success was the happy accident of taking over a team at the right time? Like taking over from Jupp Heynckes at Bayern. Only a complete muppet would have fucked that one up...
That question has been asked before, and the same goes for Barca
Take all the courage you have left
And waste it on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head
bman2
Legend

5 years ago

First choice has to be Guardiola. And if he'll come, we might as well stick with LVG until the end of the season. Even if we failed to qualify for the CL this season, the combination of Guardiola + money means we'll be able to recruit the best in the summer. The alternative is that City sign Guardiola and we watch them disappear over the horizon for the next half decade. Unacceptable. Woodward and the owners should be making every effort to lock Guardiola down now, if they have any clue at all.

Alternatives to Guardiola would be Ancellotti, Allegri or a longer shot would be Tuchel, the new manager at Dortmund who has them playing brilliant football again. Beyond those four, I can't see any good options in terms of managers who are proven in a top league and the CL.

We also should strongly think about creating some sort of lasting football braintrust, whether an official director of football or just a person/people who perform a similar function. I would have a lot of time promoting Van Gaal upward into that role. It's his coaching of the first team that is suspect right now, he seems to be doing well in the other aspects of the job. I like our recent signings, I just think a different manager might get better out of them.